Doug's Westland Wasp by LF, the build!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Methinks you're right Jakko. It's definitely NOT on the canopy.

You are so right about small. I have had to use my newly acquired magnifying glasses all day to day. If I hadn't I don't think I would have made any progress.

And this is what I did today!!

I had a good session doing some 'brush' painting of the interior of the Wasp. Ended up dabbling a bit externally too. The problem really is the size and it is a busy little cockpit for such a small helicopter. Just trying to get the brush angle was a job and a half. Desk lamp got in the way, then my glasses!! Nightmare.

I painted the interior a lighter grey, the seat and seat backs were painted a blue grey colour as was the backrest for the rear seat passengers, which goes right across the rear bulkhead. Then a dab of red here and there, and silver. Externally I was stuck trying to decide how I was going to replicate the red bolts for a small panel which is the access for the fuel tanks, (one port, one starboard). In the end I decided to fill in the oblong indentation with red paint then wipe away the excess using a tissue soaked in water and the excess water removed. Seems to have worked so - happy with that as they say. I also painted the fescalised portion of the oleos chrome!!

Pic 1 Arrow shows the small fuel tank access panel. The white on the undercarriage represents white chord that is commonly wrapped around the four main lashing points to reduce wear on the actual metal. I did white but on a couple of flights I worked with we used red chord!! Same effect.
Not that you can see it but I put a red line on each undercarriage strut just above the wheel to replicate the small device which locks the wheel into position to stop it castoring/rotating.
View attachment 512880

Pic 2 Different angle, I tried my hand at hand painting some detail in the cockpit!! Not too easy for me in this scale!!
View attachment 512881

Pic 3
View attachment 512882

Pic 4 I hand painted some black non slip patches on the undercarriage and also on the two rear winglets. Wheels have all been painted tire black!! Not that it is much different from the fuselage grey/blue.
View attachment 512883

That's me for a few days now. Off for a family reunion tomorrow so Devon - be on your best behaviour, sun and liquid refreshments if you please!!

Any comments tips or indeed criticism please feel free. I will be popping in to read how everyone is getting on and will not in the lest be getting jealous - much!!

Thanks for looking in and to quote Arnie. (The big Austrian one). "I'll be back".

Doug
Just popped in to check progress - ' ... fescalised portion of the oleo chrome... ' Oooh, keep talking dirty sailor!
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just been catching up on this little jem. Great work. We need Airfix to start new tools of the British Helo's They did the Scout and the Gazell - 1/72, be nice in 1/48 so I could see the parts lol.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Looking good Doug, lots of detail going into this little Wasp.

I was watching an episode of Warship (the 1970's series) the other day. "Scramble the Wasp", thought of your build
HI Joe where did you see warship on tv or dvd ? as i loved that programe an would like to see it again was goin to buy i on dvd but to exspensive
chrisb

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
HI Joe where did you see warship on tv or dvd ? as i loved that programe an would like to see it again was goin to buy i on dvd but to exspensive
chrisb
Hiya Chris. It pops up on YT occasionally, there was a Channel that had the complete series on there but it was taken down (presumably by the BBC). There's one channel playing series 1. I won't name the channel, just search for "Warship 1973 tv series" like I did and it should come up.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking good Doug, lots of detail going into this little Wasp.

I was watching an episode of Warship (the 1970's series) the other day. "Scramble the Wasp", thought of your build
Ah - the 'for tv' version. On board we responded to 'Action Wasp - Action Wasp'. Same thing, we scarpered up into the big blue yonder going who knows where!!!!! Only time I ever heard the 'scramble wasp' tannoy announcement, was for a medical emergency and the bosuns mate, (the tannoy man), just said anything to shut the officer of the watch up who was in full panic mode!!!
Personally, I couldn't watch 'Warship'. So many artificialities and the characters were quite lame compared to some of the crew in the real world!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Oh, I am still tinkering with the kit by the way. Just - not quickly. Primed a load of tiny parts yesterday and top coated today. The flotation struts, weapon booms and the new missiles as well as some ancillary pieces, aerials, tail rotor rear stabiliser etc.

Test fitted some of the flotation struts to the clam shells whilst working out what to use to fix them. Currently thinking more CA than TeT - but we'll see.

Also filed down the doors to fit the holes. They won't be fitted but I need them to stop crud from getting into the cockpit areas. I wedged them in place then used liquid mask to form an airtight seal. (Fingers crossed on that one).

Engine is now in place and I have yet again painted the bifurcated exhaust to make it look more like some of the photo's I have.

Wifey says 'why bother - no-ones going to see it'. She couldn't understand my 'I will' reply. Last seen disappearing into the kitchen confused!!!!

All I can say is I'm glad the 1:1 version was easier to work on than this nightmare!!

That's it folks.

Can't forget a quick piccy!

AS12 firing at dusk. (No Tracking Flares fitted) Somewhere in the Caribbean!!
Wasp by twilight_3.jpg

PS
The closer I get to finishing the further away I move my hammers!! I would seriously like to give this a small tap with my lump hammer!!!

The End! (For today)

D

Deleted member 6598

Personally, I couldn't watch 'Warship'. So many artificialities and the characters were quite lame compared to some of the crew in the real world!!!
That is usually true of any subject you know well. I can’t imagine many real police detectives find much accuracy in TV crime dramas, for example :smiling3: (One reasonable exception seems to be Mr. Robot, which, aside from being a solid contender for best TV show ever made, has computer hacking that’s about as accurate as you might expect in fiction).

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That is usually true of any subject you know well. I can’t imagine many real police detectives find much accuracy in TV crime dramas, for example :smiling3: (One reasonable exception seems to be Mr. Robot, which, aside from being a solid contender for best TV show ever made, has computer hacking that’s about as accurate as you might expect in fiction).
I enjoyed the first few series of Mr Robot. But either I or the series lost the plot. (I suspect it was me!!)

D

Deleted member 6598

The second season throws you off at first (intentionally, because Elliot is pretty far gone, mentally, and not just at this point in the story) but it’s very much worth sticking with it until the very end. This is one of those rare shows that only ever gets better.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have spent the weekend and a portion of today attempting to assemble the flotation gear!! Every combination of fitting has been tried and still the flotation cans don't sit right - I surrender!!!
white flag2.jpeg
The white flag is now flying over the bench! I give up!!
Wasn't going to let a piece of plastic get to me but this kit has. From start to ¾ built it has made me want to take up knitting. It now resides in its box stored for whenever I acquire the skill set or 'want' to see this kit completed.
If I don't walk away from this I can see it putting me off what I have until recently - enjoyed. So in the interest of sanity - the end to the Westland Wasp by LF.
For those who have this in their stash. Don't let my experience put you off. You are probably a lot more skilled than I and won't find it half so troublesome as I have. This is only my 5th kit since taking up the hobby so not too disheartened!!!!
Lets hope HobbyBoss kits are less bother?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug,
That's a great pity it was a great build. You did the right thing though. Do something else the come back to it. It is to good to abandon completely.
Thanks Paul for your support. I feel a bit pee'd off about it (:confounded:) but I just didn't feel I was getting anywhere. For such a simple helicopter in the big world this little kit is more complicated than it really needs to be. (IMHO). I'll certainly go back to it sometime in the future when I am better equipped both in mind and skill!!

My advice: Put it away for now, come back to it later when you feel you might be able to tackle it.
That is indeed my intention Jakko. Thank you to for your support during this build. Much appreciated. :thumb2: