Doug's Westland Wasp by LF, the build!

Steve Ski

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Aaah, no worries, Doung, it'll be there when you get a hankerin for it again later. Like you said, this is supposed to be fun. When I was painting tartans for the first time, I was crawling up the walls wondering who the heck would make such a pattern that I had to duplicate, HA! Most of us Yanks don't understand that kind of garment, HA!

The figure painters quickly reminded me that quitting wasn't an option, nor did "tartan paint" come in a can already mixed, :anguished:so I called it, "The Battle of the Tartans", and fought on. It slowed me down, but I did finish them.

Been there many a times, Amigo, Ruck On!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Aaah, no worries, Doung, it'll be there when you get a hankerin for it again later. Like you said, this is supposed to be fun. When I was painting tartans for the first time, I was crawling up the walls wondering who the heck would make such a pattern that I had to duplicate, HA! Most of us Yanks don't understand that kind of garment, HA!

The figure painters quickly reminded me that quitting wasn't an option, nor did "tartan paint" come in a can already mixed, :anguished:so I called it, "The Battle of the Tartans", and fought on. It slowed me down, but I did finish them.

Been there many a times, Amigo, Ruck On!
You are not alone. We English don't understand 'the kilt' either!!!!!! ;)

As for quitting - let's call it a tactical withdrawal until I gain a bit more experience! It's only my fifth kit and I rushed into the build as I have quite a passion for the little Wasp. (One tour with it as a mechanic and three tours as aircrew.) I also contributed a fair amount to the book about the Wasps operational and retirement history. I never expected the kit to be as bad as it was. I must have been spoilt by the previous builds, 2 x Airfix, one Ryefields and a Tamiya!!
Still onwards and upward. Another chopper lined up!! Soviet Helix KA27. Only ever seen one close up, the crew gave us a 'moony' when it did an intel pass in the Adriatic!

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Thanks Arnie, I've just had a good look over the Helix, (Hobby Boss), and the differences of build quality are way better than the LF. Everything seems sharp clean in direct contrast to the Wasp.

Looking forward to seeing it Doug. I like HB kits, they maybe simplistic some times but always seem to go together well in my experience.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking forward to seeing it Doug. I like HB kits, they maybe simplistic some times but always seem to go together well in my experience.
Nice to hear. I read a review earlier today and the guy was very positive about the build quality and ease of assembly. After the problems I had with the Wasp, 'simple' sounds good to me!! ;) :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have been going hard at this tiny helicopter and doing great. I can understand 110% the need to put it aside. I hope you get back to it some time.i quite like the wasp and scout.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You have been going hard at this tiny helicopter and doing great. I can understand 110% the need to put it aside. I hope you get back to it some time.i quite like the wasp and scout.
Thanks Ian. As you may have guessed - I quite like the Wasp/Scout too. Even SWMBO is telling me to finish it. She even suggested, if I can't get the flotation clams and a few other tiny bits as I want them, then finish it so it looks like one that has ditched, That way ,twisted supports and such won't look out of place!! She has a point!! A fair few went either splash or 'BUMP' on landing. Hopefully the new build, (Helix), will help!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Doug yesterday i was at duxford air museum with some boaty freinds an i see they have a wasp in one of the hangars an i had a look around it an was a bit dissapointed that they had not done any refurbiments on it an it looked a sad little chopper layin beside another chopper but lookin at it i thought of you an how youd be sqezzed up in that tiny fusalarge if you could call it that
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I know it hasn’t turned out as you wanted, Doug, but I bet you developed more modelling skills with the wasp than you realised……
Cheers Tim, it's certainly been challenging. Altering the geometry of the undercarriage was demanding on my scalpel usage!! (I may have to play around with the support arms of the flotation gear). I was pleased with being able to make the missile aiming arm and missile box, (T10K). One plus I guess.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WELL Doug yesterday i was at duxford air museum with some boaty freinds an i see they have a wasp in one of the hangars an i had a look around it an was a bit dissapointed that they had not done any refurbiments on it an it looked a sad little chopper layin beside another chopper but lookin at it i thought of you an how youd be sqezzed up in that tiny fusalarge if you could call it that
chrisb
Chris it was like having a flying sports car of 50's vintage. Old, not pretty but great fun. Zipping around Dorset, 50 feet above ground level, (before flying regulations changed), 90 knots with the doors off. Great fun.
Sad to hear the Duxford Wasp hasn't been kept in good nick. The ones in the FAA museum at Yeovilton all look good and in fact there are some 3 or 4 that Navy Wings have in flying order and regularly display around the country at air shows.
Me being a short ar$e didn't have to squeeze into it luckily.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Doug you will get the urge soon to fininsh it as i was near to surrendering on my tomcat but the ole stubbon streak takes over an like me you will finnish it im sure of it
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WELL Doug you will get the urge soon to fininsh it as i was near to surrendering on my tomcat but the ole stubbon streak takes over an like me you will finnish it im sure of it
chrisb
I will finish it Chris. The problem I was having was I was at the stage where I wanted to get stuck into something and every time I looked at the Wasp or even sat at the bench I was getting nowhere due to my frustrations. So after a long think I decided it would be best to walk away for a while. Start on the Helix and at last do something to keep my interest alive.
Then.
After the Helix, dive into the Wasp again and hopefully - fingers crossed, Finish what should have been a fun build for me.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY unusual pic Doug never seen that many before but then ive only seen one in duxford museum an she wasnt pretty just a pile of well whatever but i thought of you when lookin at it an you sure dint have much room to move about did you anyway cant put much more as got to do my 50 lines lol
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nowadays, I'd see a picture like that and think, that's all of them!
Nah, that was just 703's wasps and 829's HQ aircraft. The side numbers give them away. The 50's were 703 NAS Wasps. (Training Squadron/Second Line Squadron). The Wasps with 60's were 829's HQ aircraft. (Front Line Squadron) On top of them there were all the Frigate based Wasps plus 2 x for HMS Endurance and the survey ships each carried a Wasp. Nearly 50 in total. The hangar was quite full when all ships flights disembarked!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WOW Doug 50 wasps i dint think we had that many helos in R/N
Chrisb
That was way back in the 70’s. By the early 80’s the number was low 30’s. Then in 88 the Wasp was removed. 829 continued but now it was a Lynx squadron. 702 NAS became the Lynx training sqdn.