Ironclad IJN NACHI 1943

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Plodding along, looking at the funnels I had a fit! They are plastered in lines like that well known Italian pasta, i can't spell lol. I assume supposedly hand rails, so trying to sort the seams would have put me on a couch having a chat with a person in a shiny white coat and clip board!!

But Japanese naval architects to the rescue, God bless them, they positioned various steam vent pipes right over the nasty seams, well about 90%.

20240825_162355.jpg20240825_162401.jpg20240825_162419.jpg
Rear funnel

20240825_165618.jpg
20240825_165635.jpg
Bit of work left but the top of the funnels plus the caps are to be painted black, so that will cover a lot as well.

This is Ashigara funnels, does not so many handrails??

20240825_165520.jpg

Definitely going to paint all the decks before fitting. The middle section is where the 4 sets of torpedo launches plus reloads live, this has to be painted first as the main deck sits on top
20240824_174521.jpg20240824_174438.jpg
Have spent a lot more time planning and not rushing for once.

Also built up the ships boats and gun tubs for the secondary battery.

Actually enjoying this, yes honestly

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Had me there Bob. My quick glance at the funnel had me asking myself why were you modelling a ski boot!!
Then - I put my glasses on.
Coming on a treat. The vessel not the ski boot!!!!

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Done boyo lots of lovley pics to show whats what an yes paint the deck firstly comin on nicely an glad you are enjoyin this build you are now a fully fledged boaty
atb chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Bob. Looks like good design on those funnels….
Cheers Tim, the kit reminds me of Tamiya. Good plans and well designed. A example is below
20240825_185616.jpg
These are the main decks, you can see the recessed cutouts for major components, front funnel and bridge. I have checked and perfect fit. Impressed and as I have two of Nachi's sisters as well, there
build bodes well

Had me there Bob. My quick glance at the funnel asking myself why were you modelling a ski boot!!
Then - I put my glasses on.
Coming on a treat. The vessel not the ski boot!!!!
The Japanese had great ways of merging two funnels into one! Here's more
20240825_185536.jpg

All coming on nicely Bob.
Thanks Jim, as I am not making stupid mistakes anymore, the build is much more enjoyable

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WELL Done boyo lots of lovley pics to show whats what an yes paint the deck firstly comin on nicely an glad you are enjoyin this build you are now a fully fledged boaty
atb chrisb
Cheers Chris, about 80% I'd say lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bit more progress, was dreading this, When I saw this page I ordered more tablets and a skip sized swear box.
20240827_151720.jpg
Loads of tiny bollards M11

20240827_151739.jpg
So how to get them off the sprue, the clean up and fit. So while the usual insomnia ( ME plus steroids) kept me awake I made a plan. Used this to work inside and very slowly worked.
20240827_170331.jpg
Only lost one and that was my fault plus hats off to Aoshima there are spares!!!

So finished the part I was not looking forward to
20240827_164300.jpg
Maybe bread and butter to some but fiddly and full of a potential disaster to me!!

Onwards folks

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
More plodding. Impressed with the fit and design. A lot of the parts have pegs to locate or recessed. But the worse parts represent the forward boiler room vent housing. This sits between the bridge and first funnel

Having to use a lot of filler
20240830_174823.jpg20240830_174816.jpg
The slot holds a searchlight platform. Very poor. I have two of her sisters in the fleet stash, Moyoko and Ashigara. So this build will be practice.

Still fighting the seam, two done

20240830_174804.jpg20240830_174757.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Building ships is a fickle process. You get the hull out the way in like an hour tops. then you get the deck on. anything from a day to a week.
Then the deck houses/superstructures to build, tittivat and paint. A anything from a week to a month or two. Populating the decks the fun part where all the bits of the last many days, weeks or months of building and painting get put in their places on the decks.
You are doing a cracking job of this tiny little thing. I applaud you Sir.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Bob matey these ships do have a lot of small parts but thats the fun of it fittin them on an whatchin the model come to life as i found out on my tiger but im glad that the parts were bigger as when building her i dint lose any parts to the carpet monster but in your scale its easy to do an you are not now praticein as you sir are a fully fledged ship builder in my eyes an after my hornet build i may rejion you in bein a floaty builder as i must admit ive still got the prop shafts an rudders an ESC to build another ship an i think ive found one i like enough to want to build as i just hope can get my security back on again for another year or i will be offline but goin to Norwich Currys shop today to see if i can get help but you Bob matey are goin full ahead in your modeling style well done my freind keep the build comin an i hope to see it finished
yor ow mate
chrisb

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Plodding along, looking at the funnels I had a fit! They are plastered in lines like that well known Italian pasta, i can't spell lol. I assume supposedly hand rails, so trying to sort the seams would have put me on a couch having a chat with a person in a shiny white coat and clip board!!

But Japanese naval architects to the rescue, God bless them, they positioned various steam vent pipes right over the nasty seams, well about 90%.

View attachment 516315View attachment 516316View attachment 516317
Rear funnel

View attachment 516318
View attachment 516319
Bit of work left but the top of the funnels plus the caps are to be painted black, so that will cover a lot as well.

This is Ashigara funnels, does not so many handrails??

View attachment 516322

Definitely going to paint all the decks before fitting. The middle section is where the 4 sets of torpedo launches plus reloads live, this has to be painted first as the main deck sits on top
View attachment 516320View attachment 516321
Have spent a lot more time planning and not rushing for once.

Also built up the ships boats and gun tubs for the secondary battery.

Actually enjoying this, yes honestly
Matron does house calls Bob, so no need to go to see a shrink. She will soon have you back to a somewhat normal person .;)

Nice build, no wonder you've bought a new magnifying lamp !

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When you think about it, warships are mini cities. With everything cities have with additional weapon systems.
Shrink that down to any size and then ask us humans to re assemble it.
Nightmare!!! Well Bob and all you shipwrights!!!! A cracking job well executed. :thumb2:

john hutton

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Bob,
Having never built a ship ( all that PE) scares the living daylights out of me. Thought it was about time i took a look at someone building one, who knows a thing or Two about these creatures of terror ( to me anyway), So here i am. Reading through your post and studying the pictures am finding the build enthralling, so oilskins on, i am ready for more installments. Top work so far, i am in for the whole VOYAGE now.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Building ships is a fickle process. You get the hull out the way in like an hour tops. then you get the deck on. anything from a day to a week.
Then the deck houses/superstructures to build, tittivat and paint. A anything from a week to a month or two. Populating the decks the fun part where all the bits of the last many days, weeks or months of building and painting get put in their places on the decks.
You are doing a cracking job of this tiny little thing. I applaud you Sir.
Cheers Ian, know exactly what you mean. I have small containers holding lots of built bit! Should be fun painting! Going to see how close a match is Tamiya Kure grey to one of those paint pens?

Coming along nicely Bob!
Steve
Thanks Steve, approaching the priming stages!

YES Bob matey these ships do have a lot of small parts but thats the fun of it fittin them on an whatchin the model come to life as i found out on my tiger but im glad that the parts were bigger as when building her i dint lose any parts to the carpet monster but in your scale its easy to do an you are not now praticein as you sir are a fully fledged ship builder in my eyes an after my hornet build i may rejion you in bein a floaty builder as i must admit ive still got the prop shafts an rudders an ESC to build another ship an i think ive found one i like enough to want to build as i just hope can get my security back on again for another year or i will be offline but goin to Norwich Currys shop today to see if i can get help but you Bob matey are goin full ahead in your modeling style well done my freind keep the build comin an i hope to see it finished
yor ow mate
chrisb
Chris

C'mon get back to floaty stuff, missing your superb builds. Steady progress!

Matron does house calls Bob, so no need to go to see a shrink. She will soon have you back to a somewhat normal person .;)

Nice build, no wonder you've bought a new magnifying lamp !
Normal my god was once one, many moons ago lol. The lamp is excellent to be fair and so helpful.
When you think about it, warships are mini cities. With everything cities have with additional weapon systems.
Shrink that down to any size and then ask us humans to re assemble it.
Nightmare!!! Well Bob and all you shipwrights!!!! A cracking job well executed. :thumb2:
Thanks Doug, they exactly that, a jumble of many separate builds most fiddly and small

Bob, apologies mate it's been a while since I looked in. Some lovely work going on.
No problem at all Paul, thank you
Hi Bob,
Having never built a ship ( all that PE) scares the living daylights out of me. Thought it was about time i took a look at someone building one, who knows a thing or Two about these creatures of terror ( to me anyway), So here i am. Reading through your post and studying the pictures am finding the build enthralling, so oilskins on, i am ready for more installments. Top work so far, i am in for the whole VOYAGE now.
Hi John, good to see you. Still learning the hard way, by mistakes lol. No PE in this one, but the next one will have. Dreading the 1/200 Hood with the full Pontos set!!!