Ironclad IJN NACHI 1943

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Finished the numerous small assemblies.
20240831_165628.jpg

Got the storage box's from Asda, £1 for 3! They have clip on lids. Getting more.

These have the main and batteries, numerous assemblies, all safe! Next prime the bridge to check these horrible seams

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neat idea with those plastic containers Bob. Just the job for the amount of small parts you have.
Looking fwd to the next part post .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

C'mon get back to floaty stuff, missing your superb builds. Steady progress!
(Bob Qoute)

HI Bob my freind LET ME FINISH MY HORNET FIRSTLY THEN YES i hope to get back to buildin a big R/C ship as ive found a ship id like to build but the trouble is gettin the plans blown up to 1/72 scale an or buyin a F/G HULL or scratchbuilding the hull like i did on my TIGER AN there will be soon be on here a freind of mine from another forum called david ( T888) AS HE IS AWAY AT THE MOMENT but he is goin to jion prperly mid sept an he also builds big R/C SHIPS AN HE IS A BETTER MODDELER AT SHIPS THAN I AM an at the moment as he makes things work on his ships like i do.

He is just started building a R/N SHIP SO NEW ITS STILL IN THE DOCKYARD BEIN BUILT so thats something to look forward to so more floaty builders will jion you SOON just please be patience an you are doin a great idea of puttin all your ship parts in boxes so you dont lose them good idea as i am doin the same with the parts that fit this hornet build keep your build comin MY FREIND
ATB TO YOU AN JULIE
chris an jen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got the storage box's from Asda, £1 for 3! They have clip on lids. Getting more.
I get mine from the local pizza bar. The little tubs they use to put mayonnaise or ketchup in when you buy take away. I got 40 for 2 quid lol. Great for little bits. I use them for screws and bolts for RC kits.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The worse bit to date, the mast at the rear of the bridge
20240901_170734.jpg
The box structure was a nightmare, and for the first time the plans were terrible! Almost finished this but stopped before l lost the plot!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Chris

C'mon get back to floaty stuff, missing your superb builds. Steady progress!
(Bob Qoute)

HI Bob my freind LET ME FINISH MY HORNET FIRSTLY THEN YES i hope to get back to buildin a big R/C ship as ive found a ship id like to build but the trouble is gettin the plans blown up to 1/72 scale an or buyin a F/G HULL or scratchbuilding the hull like i did on my TIGER AN there will be soon be on here a freind of mine from another forum called david ( T888) AS HE IS AWAY AT THE MOMENT but he is goin to jion prperly mid sept an he also builds big R/C SHIPS AN HE IS A BETTER MODDELER AT SHIPS THAN I AM an at the moment as he makes things work on his ships like i do.

He is just started building a R/N SHIP SO NEW ITS STILL IN THE DOCKYARD BEIN BUILT so thats something to look forward to so more floaty builders will jion you SOON just please be patience an you are doin a great idea of puttin all your ship parts in boxes so you dont lose them good idea as i am doin the same with the parts that fit this hornet build keep your build comin MY FREIND
ATB TO YOU AN JULIE
chris an jen
When was the last plastic ship Chris, would love to see you have a bash

Plastic boxes from Asda - they'll thwart the Carpet Monster. He'll be sat under the bench with a rumbling tum and a cross expression :smiling3:
Ah the infamous carpet monster, so far only tiny piece. Found working inside a plastic container helped!

I get mine from the local pizza bar. The little tubs they use to put mayonnaise or ketchup in when you buy take away. I got 40 for 2 quid lol. Great for little bits. I use them for screws and bolts for RC kits.
Good idea Sir!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BOb dont fancy doin any plastic ships as parts are too small for me as already got a 1/600 hms eagle aircraft carrier that jen got for me off a car boot sale for 50p but too small for me i like the big models
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Tad more

Finished the fore mast ( right name? ) the radar on top is not great.

20240902_162643.jpg
Started the main mast, not fitting the top section yet, tempting fate! Will fit just before painting

20240902_162714.jpg
There is a small amount of PE, mainly oars for the boats!! But also this cage like thing, it sits by the side of the mail funnel, not a scooby what it's for????
20240902_162739.jpg
Will have a look on another ship site shortly

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think, though not sure that the cage thing is a work platform so so poor bugger can go down the funnels and clean/repair them.
Nice tidy work on the mast and a good call not putting the top part on. Guess who broke a bit off their Bismarck mast.
Caught the yardarm on my watch strap and half of it pinged off across the room never to be seen again... Hmm

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Tad more

Finished the fore mast ( right name? ) the radar on top is not great.

View attachment 516731
Started the main mast, not fitting the top section yet, tempting fate! Will fit just before painting

View attachment 516732
There is a small amount of PE, mainly oars for the boats!! But also this cage like thing, it sits by the side of the mail funnel, not a scooby what it's for????
View attachment 516733
Will have a look on another ship site shortly
WELL Bob whats up with the radar remember you are building a ship in a fairly small scale so you cant exspect to much detail as if i t was on my tiger then i would be upset what is the size of it about qaurter of an inch sqaure then ? an what is that last pic of ? an yes its the fore mast if at the front an the rear mast is the main mast an if a small mast is fitted like i had on my edinbourough then it would be called a stump mast ok ?
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I think, though not sure that the cage thing is a work platform so so poor bugger can go down the funnels and clean/repair them.
Nice tidy work on the mast and a good call not putting the top part on. Guess who broke a bit off their Bismarck mast.
Caught the yardarm on my watch strap and half of it pinged off across the room never to be seen again... Hmm
Oh eh, my plan makes sense for once!

Apparently the cage is for spare wings for the float planes!
WELL Bob whats up with the radar remember you are building a ship in a fairly small scale so you cant exspect to much detail as if i t was on my tiger then i would be upset what is the size of it about qaurter of an inch sqaure then ? an what is that last pic of ? an yes its the fore mast if at the front an the rear mast is the main mast an if a small mast is fitted like i had on my edinbourough then it would be called a stump mast ok ?
chrisb
Hi Chris, instead of pe oars, a pe radar mesh would look so much better. The plastic version is a bit clunky

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Oh eh, my plan makes sense for once!

Hi Chris, instead of pe oars, a pe radar mesh would look so much better. The plastic version is a bit clunky
OH i see Bob yes does look a bit clunky havnt you got a spare bit of p/e to glue onto it ? as a bit of p/e mesh would set the radar off
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Actually that makes a lot of sense.

I was part of the flight crew on modern warships and we stowed our spare gear anywhere we could. Usually in the ships store but larger items would be placed wherever there was space.

Also, Russians even stored some of their less sensitive 'stuff' in the actual uptakes. (Funnels to the uninitiated!!!). PM me if you really want to know how I know!!!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Actually that makes a lot of sense.

I was part of the flight crew on modern warships and we stowed our spare gear anywhere we could. Usually in the ships store but larger items would be placed wherever there was space.

Also, Russians even stored some of their less sensitive 'stuff' in the actual uptakes. (Funnels to the uninitiated!!!). PM me if you really want to know how I know!!!!
It does, just wish the instructions did not explain? Will have to see if that supply spare wings. Sadly there's not many detailed books about

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It does, just wish the instructions did not explain? Will have to see if that supply spare wings. Sadly there's not many detailed books about
I would guess like all navies, the Japanese fleet would put spares anywhere they could find enough space to stow them.

Not a secret but!! The German 148 class Exocet FAC'. I went on board one in Stavanger where we were shown around. All I remember is the phrase; - And this is where we keep our beer. (Under seats, in cupboards even in one of the four Exocet tubes!!!) I couldn't help but admire their adaptation. (Bet ya won't find that in a book either!!!! ;) :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:)

Edited to add pic of the FAC
German 148 Class (Penguin)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a3f.jpg

Last edited: