Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just catching up Tim and I too hope the treatment finally reduces/rids you of this for good. You're too young for this kind of crap and we need you at the bench. After this great build, we can't wait to see you doing more lawn ornaments my friend. Please take care...

Gute Besserung
Allen
Many thanks Allen. It’s not curable, but should be controlled more easily than mine seems to be. Bit of a downer being in pain a lot of the time though.
Once Katy is out of the way I can finish the Arab cavalry I’m half way through……no lawnies on the horizon for a while.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim, what a bummer, like the others let's hope it treatment gives you some relief . Really feel for you .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hope you are soon up and able again. I know your pain.
On a lighter note, a friend I have has a Gekko K2Y he wants to sell and blow me down if one of the few modelshops left here announced today that they have the Airfix one in stock.
So it's not only busses that come in bunches. Heavy ambulances do too! lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hope you are soon up and able again. I know your pain.
On a lighter note, a friend I have has a Gekko K2Y he wants to sell and blow me down if one of the few modelshops left here announced today that they have the Airfix one in stock.
So it's not only busses that come in bunches. Heavy ambulances do too! lol
Thanks Ian, so do I. Funny about the Gekko ones……I drove about a fifty miles round trip to look at a new shop and came back with the Airfix kit. Last week I dropped in to my local shop, five miles away, for the first time in ages, and they had around half a dozen of the Gekko kits on the shelf……
Depends if you want an early one or a late one I suppose Ian, Airfix being the early……though from reviews I’ve seen the Gekko one seems a bit Part heavy (with a tricky etch grill) and I know the Airfix one builds up nicely.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Depends if you want an early one or a late one I suppose Ian, Airfix being the early……though from reviews I’ve seen the Gekko one seems a bit Part heavy (with a tricky etch grill) and I know the Airfix one builds up nicely.
Oh rats! Now I'll have to buy them both! lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking really good Tim. I hope you feel the benefits from the treatment as early as poss so that you can get back to some quality bench time. All the best, Paul

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really good Tim. I hope you feel the benefits from the treatment as early as poss so that you can get back to some quality bench time. All the best, Paul
Many thanks Paul. Unfortunately I had to put the treatment off due to other issues. Hopefully I’ll reschedule it soon.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I landed a Gecko K2Y the other day, it has the decals for katy from Ice cold.... And there in black and white it states that the windscreen was painted over to reduce reflections and glare. I stand corrected Sir.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I landed a Gecko K2Y the other day, it has the decals for katy from Ice cold.... And there in black and white it states that the windscreen was painted over to reduce reflections and glare. I stand corrected Sir.
Don’t beat yourself up over it Ian. I’ve only found one other picture showing this apart from film stills.

The Airfix one has the correct decals as well, including the faded unit badge on the front left wing. Not mentioned anywhere in the instructions though….marked up here
22A3CED4-B9E3-46DC-AE00-7214A846C9C2.jpeg

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was speaking to a professional restorer of classic vehicles the other day at a classic car show, who finished a 1:1 K2 last year. He told me that the windscreens were openable, and for desert use they were supplied with canvas screens to keep the sand and sun out when the screen was open. The driver's side canvas screen had a black mesh panel inserted so the driver could see out but the amount of sand that could blow in was limited.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was speaking to a professional restorer of classic vehicles the other day at a classic car show, who finished a 1:1 K2 last year. He told me that the windscreens were openable, and for desert use they were supplied with canvas screens to keep the sand and sun out when the screen was open. The driver's side canvas screen had a black mesh panel inserted so the driver could see out but the amount of sand that could blow in was limited.
Pete
Drivers side was openable Pete, the other side doesn’t have a hinge. It’s quite common in commercial vehicles of that period. In Alex, Katy is driven with the window open almost all the time (probably to show the actors) and the painted panel opens with the screen……. I haven’t been able to find a period photo with the side netting screens in place…..and only one with the painted screens. Being as she isn’t fitted with doors, the dust would have got in past the canvas sides fairly easily I’d think ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Tim.

I have to admit that the decals provided with the modern Airfix kits I've built in last year went down much easier than the decals on the ICM models I've built. I've only built about 6 models in total so not too many to compare but I definitely noticed a big difference in those two companies.
Cheers Mike.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Drivers side was openable Pete, the other side doesn’t have a hinge. It’s quite common in commercial vehicles of that period. In Alex, Katy is driven with the window open almost all the time (probably to show the actors) and the painted panel opens with the screen……. I haven’t been able to find a period photo with the side netting screens in place…..and only one with the painted screens. Being as she isn’t fitted with doors, the dust would have got in past the canvas sides fairly easily I’d think ;)
Probably there were various differnt versions Tim.
Pete