Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Tim.
Glad to see your better than before. Not nice when you have a reduced tolerance.

The build is looking neat and clean. As a side I remember from bitter experience that the artillery had black webbing. Bitter because every damn year they had to scrub it clean and do a normal blanco for the yearly inspection. Even us in the LAD has to follow suit. Cant think of any one who could afford to have a second set ready . Madness or what.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Morning Tim.
Glad to see your better than before. Not nice when you have a reduced tolerance.

The build is looking neat and clean. As a side I remember from bitter experience that the artillery had black webbing. Bitter because every damn year they had to scrub it clean and do a normal blanco for the yearly inspection. Even us in the LAD has to follow suit. Cant think of any one who could afford to have a second set ready . Madness or what.
Hi John. No, it isn’t great. Don’t notice it until it’s needed though……

As to the blanco, that’s just ridiculous. Why on earth did they have one colour for use and another colour for the annual inspection? Sometimes Military Intelligence really is a contradiction in terms…..

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

As to the blanco, that’s just ridiculous. Why on earth did they have one colour for use and another colour for the annual inspection? Sometimes Military Intelligence really is a contradiction in terms…..
'They' did the same with us with plimsolls during various periods of 'retraining' - sometimes black, sometimes white! As I puff my chest out nowadays I can say "It made me the man I am today!" (Not really, it never worked ...)
Steve (The much older, more cynical, and none the wiser version)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
'They' did the same with us with plimsolls during various periods of 'retraining' - sometimes black, sometimes white! As I puff my chest out nowadays I can say "It made me the man I am today!" (Not really, it never worked ...)
Bet you remember painting grass green,and "enhancing" the white lines on the road into camp eh mate?! ;)
Remember several times doing that,it seemed at the time that making the Airfield more "acceptable" to a Zob,who was visiting,was more important than actually servicing the Aircraft!! ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Well the were called " Planks " by us, does that answer you question ;)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bet you remember painting grass green,and "enhancing" the white lines on the road into camp eh mate?! ;)
Remember several times doing that,it seemed at the time that making the Airfield more "acceptable" to a Zob,who was visiting,was more important than actually servicing the Aircraft!! ;)
Stop it mate! -- we were preparing for a Royal visit in Aldershot some time in the early 70's - a Guards RSM (who else could be that anal?) made us paint out the evidence of a generator creating black marks on 'his' grass - and - lined up the tent pegs (fore and aft) with the aid of a cord and two pegs ... you couldn't make it up could you? Thanks for re-igniting those dark memories (that's what Kate has just said because I've this moment re-aligned the front garden flower pots) - I won't sleep easily tonight now ... :anguished:
Steve

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Stop it mate! -- we were preparing for a Royal visit in Aldershot some time in the early 70's - a Guards RSM (who else could be that anal?) made us paint out the evidence of a generator creating black marks on 'his' grass - and - lined up the tent pegs (fore and aft) with the aid of a cord and two pegs ... you couldn't make it up could you? Thanks for re-igniting those dark memories (that's what Kate has just said because I've this moment re-aligned the front garden flower pots) - I won't sleep easily tonight now ... :anguished:
Steve
No need to thank me mate..
... My pleasure!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
May well have made you the man you are today…..it’s just that the man they made wasn’t the one they intended…….

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
May well have made you the man you are today…..it’s just that the man they made wasn’t the one they intended…….
Now let's stop this conversation sweet cheeks - this is purportedly a civilised, geriatric, fun-loving, non-judgemental , plastic (et al) bashing forum ... yeah right!
Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see you back at the bench Tim. That's coming on very nicely.....in spite of the putrid green engine!!! ;) any idea why that colour?

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry Tim,in all of the interesting conversation earlier I actually forgot to comment on your Katey in my post!!.....
.... Ian is correct...
... It IS looking "lovely" ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good to see you back at the bench Tim. That's coming on very nicely.....in spite of the putrid green engine!!! ;) any idea why that colour?

ATB.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew. The engine is that colour because that’s the colour Austin painted ‘em…..it’s actually a turquoise colour that the pin wash and oil staining has turned green…..Morris engines were more grass green I seem to remember. Other manufacturers used different colours. No idea why, unless it helps when looking for oil leaks……
As an aside, BMC reconditioned engines (gold seal) were sprayed with a thick gold paint in the seventies and eighties. Made them look even worse than this turquoise when dirty……I seem to recall a Silver seal range as well but I never saw any of them.