Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

Greg_147

SMF Supporter
First Name
Greg
Feel free to not look into it too much... :smiling5: I've had a look at as many online resources as I can, and after explaining the differences between IC and VC, most go on to describe both as 'fireflies' and move on. I can't find anything that specifically says they weren't in service at the same time as VCs. If all are happy I'll give it a go!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Feel free to not look into it too much... :smiling5: I've had a look at as many online resources as I can, and after explaining the differences between IC and VC, most go on to describe both as 'fireflies' and move on. I can't find anything that specifically says they weren't in service at the same time as VCs. If all are happy I'll give it a go!
Hello Greg

The kit markings for the 23rd Hussars would be ok as they landed in France a week after D-day which fits into the GB time frame.

Geoff.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Feel free to not look into it too much... :smiling5:
I’m now at my computer instead of downstairs on the sofa, and getting to the book is now only a matter of turning my chair around :smiling3: First of all, I come across this paragraph on page 59, after just opening the book randomly:
The Firefly did not come ashore in Normandy in the first wave of the assault due to its inability to be converted to DD configuration (…). Second wave units certainly had them and they were to be seen ashore very soon after the landings.
So that’s good :smiling3: Most of the photos in Normandy are of VCs, but on page 78 is one of definitely a IC:

B 8343.jpg
(source)

It has a one-piece nose, which means it can’t be a Sherman V, and the wheel spacing is also too small for a V. This photo was taken on 1 August 1944, which I guess is still in the right time frame. Page 81 has another picture of a IC with a sharp nose like the Tamiya kit (the one in the photo above has a rounded nose), and is captioned as having been taken on 16 July. Page 82 has another IC in “the square at Putanges, 20th August 1944”

I can't find anything that specifically says they weren't in service at the same time as VCs. If all are happy I'll give it a go!
The VC was the more numerous in mid-1944, but the IC was definitely around too. It’s mainly the IC Hybrid (which had a cast upper hull front, but the rest of the upper hull was welded) that only seems to have come in later. I’d say you’re on safe ground with this kit.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I may be wrong but since this is supposed to be fun rather than an exercise in perfect historical accuracy, near enough should be good enough.

That's how I thought it might be too Andy.

Sorry Geoff, but I'll have to back out of this G.B. of yours.

I'm a near enough, just having fun modeller and all this discussion about absolute 100% accuracy, correct markings and did it or didn't it appear on D.Day has put me off.

I appreciate that folks want to get things absolutely spot on, that's fine, but spare a thought for those who just wanted to muck in with the spirit of the G.B.

I will be quietly following along and as a bonus I see Steve (stona) is building the same kit as I was going to make, so I can watch his effort - With a critical eye, of course. ;)

Good luck with all the builds chaps.:thumb2:

Ron

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
all this discussion about absolute 100% accuracy, correct markings and did it or didn't it appear on D.Day has put me off.
Your absolutely right 570 kinda turning me off this GB too hope my subjects are correct enough to fit the bill. I just want to build and have fun.

Last edited:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

I'm a near enough, just having fun modeller and all this discussion about absolute 100% accuracy, correct markings and did it or didn't it appear on D.Day has put me off.

I appreciate that folks want to get things absolutely spot on, that's fine, but spare a thought for those who just wanted to muck in with the spirit of the G.B.

I will be quietly following along and as a bonus I see Steve (stona) is building the same kit as I was going to make, so I can watch his effort - With a critical eye, of course. ;)

Ron
That's a real shame.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold

Ron

Sorry to hear that Ron.

Admittedly I'm new here, but having read back through this thread and to be fair to Geoff, I do think he IS trying to keep it light hearted and in the realms of close enough is good enough.

I'm very much in the same mindset of yourself and Lee, I'm a fun first accuracy later kind of modeller, and I can't 100% say if any of the subjects I've shortlisted actually took part, but they have the right markings and should be a good representation of those that did - but I shall still enter in the spirt of the thing anyway. :smiling:

Looking forward to seeing your next build regardless!

Cheers!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Ron
I have no idea if any Jeeps were landed from gliders in any of the airborne operations surrounding D-Day, nor do I care. I'll make my kits and if they don't fit the criteria so be it, I won't bother with the GB and have fun anyway.

Also, I'd love to see what you would do with a glider! I'm guessing it would be post arrival/landing/crash and involve something from the garden or garage floor :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It all seems to be a bit much for me, how am I supposed to know if my Harley was there for instance?!!... Too serious,and too technical,think I'll bow out too :unamused:,
Sorry Geoff, but, like the other guys have said,(and yourself),it was meant to be "fun" whilst still celebrating the action,not sure it's turning out that way.:flushed:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Wow just been catching up with the latest posts and am really sorry to read the posts from Ron and Lee.
For the record both of your entries were/are spot on.

I was wondering if I had misrepresented what the group build was about but have checked my original proposal which was:-

“Allied subjects only as it’s a tribute build but any scale aircraft, AFV, vehicle, ship, figure even diorama if you’re feeling ambitious as long as it took part during D-day or the immediate aftermath”

So simply put anything used by the Allies on D-Day.

The only person whose proposed build I have turned down was from SteveT because it wasn’t involved in the D-Day operation.
I was in the process of checking Mosquitoes that did take part but he decided to find something else before we could sort that out.
As he’s a newbie and was a bit unsure I did some more research to show him some options but he found a lovely Tempest and is now good to go and I’m looking forward to seeing him put it together.

Lee I don’t recall making a comment either way on your Sherman, you were taking advice from Jakko if you recall.

Stoma your Horsa is fine, did they use them to move Jeeps, possibly, I don’t know and frankly don’t care, Horsa’s were used and that’s good enough for me.

Andy your entry is fine but a simple google search might help.

It was never technical I think some people have made it so.
To be quite honest I’ve had enough now I’m going to message Ian and ask him to delete the GB.

Geoff.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This all seems to be getting a bit precious to me. Surely if the machine was used in June 44, and the markings are ETO from that period, then that’s more than good enough. Except in very few cases exact replicas are impossible so why are we all getting so bent out of shape over a few bits of plastic…….

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok guys,

I'm just nobody, but I think Geoff's idea for this tribute GB was a great idea and supposed to honor the troops on this memorable day of days. As all GB's, it is also supposed to be fun, building something pertinent to the concept. It appears to me that everyone is getting too wrapped around the axle with exact 100% accuracy, markings and the like. This causes people to doubt their entries and want to drop out of the GB...

edit,
I just saw your post as I was typing Geoff, and please don't cancel this GB. It is a fitting tribute and I think it should keep going. I think we all need to stop getting our panties in a bunch and hit the bench with a build. If the Serial number isn't 100% or the tank had an armor plate in the wrong place, who cares! Were you there??? If it was used on D-Day, or right after, then build it...And let's have fun and show our respect for the many who lost their lives on one of the greatest days in history...

Allen

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow just been catching up with the latest posts and am really sorry to read the posts from Ron and Lee.
For the record both of your entries were/are spot on.

I was wondering if I had misrepresented what the group build was about but have checked my original proposal which was:-

“Allied subjects only as it’s a tribute build but any scale aircraft, AFV, vehicle, ship, figure even diorama if you’re feeling ambitious as long as it took part during D-day or the immediate aftermath”

So simply put anything used by the Allies on D-Day.

The only person whose proposed build I have turned down was from SteveT because it wasn’t involved in the D-Day operation.
I was in the process of checking Mosquitoes that did take part but he decided to find something else before we could sort that out.
As he’s a newbie and was a bit unsure I did some more research to show him some options but he found a lovely Tempest and is now good to go and I’m looking forward to seeing him put it together.

Lee I don’t recall making a comment either way on your Sherman, you were taking advice from Jakko if you recall.

Stoma your Horsa is fine, did they use them to move Jeeps, possibly, I don’t know and frankly don’t care, Horsa’s were used and that’s good enough for me.

Andy your entry is fine but a simple google search might help.

It was never technical I think some people have made it so.
To be quite honest I’ve had enough now I’m going to message Ian and ask him to delete the GB.

Geoff.
I seem to have caused problems/confusion. I do apologise to everyone, it was never my intention to cause issues. Just me being a complete dummy/newbie.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
No Steve, absolutely not and you don't have to apologize for anything. It's a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. Newbie or not, we are here to learn and help each other and you are in no way a dummy. You didn't cause any issues at all. Please build the tempest and have a good time doing so. We are here to help any way we can...

Prost
Allen

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
No Steve, absolutely not and you don't have to apologize for anything. It's a hobby and it's supposed to be fun. Newbie or not, we are here to learn and help each other and you are in no way a dummy. You didn't cause any issues at all. Please build the tempest and have a good time doing so. We are here to help any way we can...

Prost
Allen
Absolutely, Steve DO NOT feel guilty it is not your fault.
I’m not sure what’s got into everyone but to be honest it’s left a really sour taste.
I’m on my hols at the moment trying to relax and I’m worrying about this!
Sorry chaps it’s supposed to be fun for all including me and now it just seems more trouble than it’s worth.

Geoff.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Please Geoff, relax and enjoy your holiday. If you want, I will jump in and help out if you wish. I truly think everyone is geared up for this tribute GB and I hope others will have a re-think and join back in... Just holler my friend.

BTW, I've heard a couple of Pina Colada's can rid you of that sour taste...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Geoff…..DO NOT let this affect your relaxation. We are only playing with toys here, so there is absolutely no reason for anyone to get so uptight and throw theirs out of the pram. We are all old enough and ugly enough to live with the original intention of this GB, and some people seem to be reading more into the discussions than is actually there. Don’t worry Geoff. It will blow over, it always does….