Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Please Geoff, relax and enjoy your holiday. If you want, I will jump in and help out if you wish. I truly think everyone is geared up for this tribute GB and I hope others will have a re-think and join back in... Just holler my friend.

BTW, I've heard a couple of Pina Colada's can rid you of that sour taste...

Prost
Allen
Geoff…..DO NOT let this affect your relaxation. We are only playing with toys here, so there is absolutely no reason for anyone to get so uptight and throw theirs out of the pram. We are all old enough and ugly enough to live with the original intention of this GB, and some people seem to be reading more into the discussions than is actually there. Don’t worry Geoff. It will blow over, it always does….
Thanks chaps I appreciate your comments, I will chill tonight and let it blow over.
I’m still perplexed where all this has come from as I’ve not turned down anyone’s proposal apart from poor Steve.
Now he’s feeling guilty and really has no need to.

So I propose that unless I’ve said something isn’t valid then it is. I just want it to be a fun gb that is a fitting tribute to the heroes of D-Day.

Geoff.

Geoff.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Geoff... Oh, and remember to get the Pina Colada's with the little umbrellas in them. They keep your fingers from getting sunburn while you're sipping them....Safety first, you know....

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Maybe I am a little more relaxed about this. i do not mind if some members go into great detail about marking etc etc; if it is about something I am interested in I may learn something useful, otherwise it washes over me. My GB contribution will be 1/72, well mostly. i will be using a Milicaste deepwading Sherman (1/76) with LSM and another Sherman in 1/72, so a mix of scales - not 100% accurate but within the spirit of the build. i know nothing about US markings so they will be pretty generic and may or may not be accurate for D-Day.

Modelling covers such a wide range of time periods, services, uniforms and equipment that nobody can be an expert in everything. we all have our own areas of focus which we will know more about and my approach is that I try to be as accurate as possible in the areas I focus on, such as Universal Carriers or VC recipients, but other areas I am more relaxed about - I have a Quad which will be very generic!

Peter

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Geoff... Oh, and remember to get the Pina Colada's with the little umbrellas in them. They keep your fingers from getting sunburn while you're sipping them....Safety first, you know....
Yup Pina Colada's work, personally, if your in the States or the Caribbean - Rum Punches. Two and you'll have the best sleep you've ever had. And you'll wake up thinking;
1 - where am I.
2 - Who was I with last night.
3 - What did we/I do or say?
If you don't - then you didn't drink enough or the barman is watering the drinks!!!!!
Enjoy your hols Geoff and forget us reprobates until you get back and unpack your bags.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
WOW! Some huge wires are being crossed here.

I do feel for our man Geoff, as I've not seen anything from him that says everything has to be 100% accurate. Enjoy your hols Geoff and forget about this 'ere place. And Stephen, absolutely nothing to apologise for.

Lets remember Gents.

Two days from now, 80 years ago, over 150,000 Allied troops stormed the beaches of Normandy and by the end of the day around 5000 of them never left. Surely that, and having a fun yet worthy GB tribute to those men, is the most important part of this GB.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yup Pina Colada's work, personally, if your in the States or the Caribbean - Rum Punches. Two and you'll have the best sleep you've ever had. And you'll wake up thinking;
1 - where am I.
2 - Who was I with last night.
3 - What did we/I do or say?
If you don't - then you didn't drink enough or the barman is watering the drinks!!!!!
Enjoy your hols Geoff and forget us reprobates until you get back and unpack your bags.
Rum punch…..yum!
One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak….love it!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
people to doubt their entries and want to drop out of the GB...
Good point Allen I think I over tunk and got caught up in the moment of peoples comments. I Still would like to stay in with my 2 new entry’s. Geoff I’m sorry.

Ok guys,

I'm just nobody, but I think Geoff's idea for this tribute GB was a great idea and supposed to honor the troops on this memorable day of days. As all GB's, it is also supposed to be fun, building something pertinent to the concept. It appears to me that everyone is getting too wrapped around the axle with exact 100% accuracy, markings and the like. This causes people to doubt their entries and want to drop out of the GB...

edit,
I just saw your post as I was typing Geoff, and please don't cancel this GB. It is a fitting tribute and I think it should keep going. I think we all need to stop getting our panties in a bunch and hit the bench with a build. If the Serial number isn't 100% or the tank had an armor plate in the wrong place, who cares! Were you there??? If it was used on D-Day, or right after, then build it...And let's have fun and show our respect for the many who lost their lives on one of the greatest days in history...

Allen
Very well said Allen. One of the reasons I dropped my Sherman build I was afraid I might not get the Wading Stacks just right and get a lashing from a few here….NOT from you Geoff either.

no way a dummy.
Allen I keep telling him he’s not but he keeps doing it what are we going to do with him Call Matron to step in if he keeps calling himself that name??? Lol.

I’m not sure what’s got into everyone but to be honest it’s left a really sour taste.
I’m very sorry Geoff for my actions. I should have never replied when it got started this is not my Demeanor or behavior.

Two days from now, 80 years ago,
Yes we have the freedom to have a GB because of those Men and Women. So “let’s go” as Ike said.

some people seem to be reading more into the discussions than is actually there
Yes Tim you are exactly right and I’m guilty as charged. I should have kept my mouth shut lesson learned.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then Black hat ON.
This forum never has and never will be a Rivet counter forum. If you wish to be one all well and good. If you don't want to be one; All well and good.
Be it out of box, super detailed or scratch built, sculpted even.
In one of the rear times I step in and Administer a GB I have the following to say:
If it was in the landings, and the subsequent battle or there is a very good chance that it was. Fine. NO ONE is going to be moaning if the Serial number on a truck or tank is off If the type is correct and it was there: Good enough.
Aircraft: Same applies, however as not every serial number is known or clear not important. THE CODES are. If it took part it would have the Invasion stripes, some more neat than others.
They are easy to paint (even I can do that lol). If you want to/can do you can normally stitch a code and or serial together from the spares box.
The Build is not cancelled and those that have pulled due to doubts Please carry on in the GB.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's how I thought it might be too Andy.

Sorry Geoff, but I'll have to back out of this G.B. of yours.

I'm a near enough, just having fun modeller and all this discussion about absolute 100% accuracy, correct markings and did it or didn't it appear on D.Day has put me off.

I appreciate that folks want to get things absolutely spot on, that's fine, but spare a thought for those who just wanted to muck in with the spirit of the G.B.

I will be quietly following along and as a bonus I see Steve (stona) is building the same kit as I was going to make, so I can watch his effort - With a critical eye, of course. ;)

Good luck with all the builds chaps.:thumb2:

Ron
You get back to the bench young man and get on with it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have no idea if any Jeeps were landed from gliders in any of the airborne operations surrounding D-Day, nor do I care. I'll make my kits and if they don't fit the criteria so be it, I won't bother with the GB and have fun anyway.

Also, I'd love to see what you would do with a glider! I'm guessing it would be post arrival/landing/crash and involve something from the garden or garage floor :smiling3:
Build away Steve. IN the GB that is.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep Tim, agreed.

Very humbling what these guys did for us :sad-face:

Some pictures of the War Graves Commission’s light vigil in Normandy yesterday evening.

View attachment 510658

View attachment 510659

Very emotive.

Geoff.
That’s Bayeux CWGC isn’t it? Very impressive place. It contains graves from many combatant nations that were killed in Normandy, including Russians. All CWGC cemeteries are worth a visit. They are true gardens of remembrance and are something we, as a nation, got absolutely and utterly right.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Graves light up are stunning. They will always know they are not forgotten. Thanks for posting the pics.
The views tonight during the service were simply superb. Also extremely impressed by the Princess Royal patting her allocated gravestone after placing flowers. A very human touch that spoke volumes.
I have been to Normandy twice. The first time, about twenty years ago, I was privileged enough to be there on the sixth of June. The atmosphere was incredible. I was really impressed by all the French kids that were seeking out the veterans and asking for their autographs. We traveled from Pegasus bridge through to Utah beach that day and it was like nothing else I’ve experienced. The cemeteries, all of them, British, American, and German, are extremely humbling places. I went to Ranville cemetery early on a Sunday and there were already French people, dressed in their Sunday best, placing flowers on the graves before attending church. Just something that makes you catch your breath.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The views tonight during the service were simply superb. Also extremely impressed by the Princess Royal patting her allocated gravestone after placing flowers. A very human touch that spoke volumes.
I have been to Normandy twice. The first time, about twenty years ago, I was privileged enough to be there on the sixth of June. The atmosphere was incredible. I was really impressed by all the French kids that were seeking out the veterans and asking for their autographs. We traveled from Pegasus bridge through to Utah beach that day and it was like nothing else I’ve experienced. The cemeteries, all of them, British, American, and German, are extremely humbling places. I went to Ranville cemetery early on a Sunday and there were already French people, dressed in their Sunday best, placing flowers on the graves before attending church. Just something that makes you catch your breath.
Tim thank you very much for sharing! As I was reading it I could just picture me there too. If I wasn’t so terrified of flying I would like to save up and go to Omaha Beach and travel the route to the Ardennes then on to Berlin. Just would like to follow where those men fought. I watch History underground on YouTube that’s about close as I can get.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a real shame Lee. Perhaps visit some of your own battlefields? I was at Gettysburg during the anniversary of that battle in the late nineties and the atmosphere there was great. The place was chock full of reenactors in uniform giving it a unique feel. It’s a very well presented place as well, and your national park volunteers do a fantastic job of brining it to life. Only problem was the weather. Last day I was there I was going to spend taking photographs. Trouble is it was in the high eighties, at one hundred percent humidity, and foggy so I couldn’t see anything. Not at all pleasant :crying: