AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Outstanding. PaulE
Thanks Paul.....

Today saw the collecting of very fine soil particles. Taking a sieve ( from the green house:smiling2: and not from the kitchen ) I put a small amount on soil into a plastic tub.. Then adding water,followed by stirring, and then allowing to settle.
The scum on the top consisting of light bits of dust, the odd of root are poured away.

_MG_3724.JPG Leaving a very fine soil, note Wolfgang is showing you how small these sections are.
_MG_3726.JPG
This will be left to completely dry, and will end up being used on the stone sets.

Meanwhile a shot of the paints for the brick work

_MG_3727.JPG
The one on the left is AK rust, the rest from cheap tubes of acrylics, just a small amount of water added.

_MG_3729.JPG
The darker brown has been applied, then a random stippling of the red. At this point I was putting the AK over the top. In using a stipple motion the 3 colours can remain, only partly being covered so as to expose parts.
_MG_3730.JPG
You can see the effect starting to appear..
All done for the time being, needs to be left to dry for at least a couple of days at the least, before I do another black wash. Followed by the white/grey pigment .

As Richard and Fernando alluded to I had marked the sets on the base to show some damage, but added more and came up with this. Again dragging a 120 g across the foam removed some of the paint. I renewed the set lines and then picked out some of the foam, to represent a broken stone set. I decided that when something heavy is dragged or turns on something like stone it would remove the top level, and most likely leave a clean mark. Having done that I used two colours, one dark wash and a light grey. Think it looks about right. I had also done another light brown drag , as might be able to be seem. I can see another touching up on some of the sets will be required.

_MG_3735.JPG

Any way comments on any part would be welcome.

John.

Attachments

• _MG_3732.JPG
    _MG_3732.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 6
  • _MG_3733.JPG
    _MG_3733.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 6
D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there John what a great progress the figures looks good the wash certainly helped to bring the facial expressions out ! Well done mister! The scratch built building is stunning, have to say you have a lot of patience to carve all those bricks in ! Will be a great scene! Are you planning to live the roof open so you can see in ? Regards Danny

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi there John what a great progress the figures looks good the wash certainly helped to bring the facial expressions out ! Well done mister! The scratch built building is stunning, have to say you have a lot of patience to carve all those bricks in ! Will be a great scene! Are you planning to live the roof open so you can see in ? Regards Danny
Hi mate, and thanks. As for the roof, it will be on, the doors will be bi fold and 4 in total will be open with lights inside . always wanted to do something like this and seeing Stevens trench mortar and how good that light was was the trigger. Going to need about 3 or 4 lights, have to work out the wiring, probably with Fernando's help .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi john great idea ! Check this website out for lights , when i built the control tower i get the lights from here ! You can buy it pre wired and also with a battery and switch pack and its less then 10£ look around hope it helps!
https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk

Regards Danny
Thanks for that Danny , i've emailed them.:thumb2:
John.

D

Daniel Horvath

Your welcome John! Just a suggestion to think about... i do see the doors will be big however if the roof on an all the sides visibility will be limited ! I think you should make one sidewall off or just a little frame that way your scene will be visible for the viewers! That’s what I did with the control tower! Hope didn’t offend you! Regards Danny 256CF74E-87DC-424F-9860-D04E13FBDADC.jpeg

Reactions: PJR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your welcome John! Just a suggestion to think about... i do see the doors will be big however if the roof on an all the sides visibility will be limited ! I think you should make one sidewall off or just a little frame that way your scene will be visible for the viewers! That’s what I did with the control tower! Hope didn’t offend you! Regards Danny View attachment 314938
Danny

Danny, No, of course not. The more input the better. I can certainly see your point. I was thinking about having the doors open, just folded back. If I did that I think there will be enough to see. If not I could have one of the sides open, with brick damage !
The front of the building is set back from the front edge by about 2 "
John

D

Deleted member 6559

Terrific work John - good to see you getting down and messy too. Lots of good tips there.

Peter.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Terrific work John - good to see you getting down and messy too. Lots of good tips there.

Peter.
Thanks Peter.
Looking at the bricks today when they had fully dried, (the foam board seems to hold the water far longer than plastic so it takes so long) I'm going to dry brush again to give some more variations and certainly use hardly any water to thin.
Have 2 lots of muddy water settling, will. continue to collect the very fine soil. Tomorrow will be the start of the doors. These would have to be sliding due to the night. Need to mark out for the bottom track and glue in some plastic strip. The doorsv will be hung from the inside so won't have to think about the top track. The doors will have to be open. Hope to post some photos tomorrow.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Cobbles are looking great. That fine soil Wolfgang showed us - do you use it dry like pigment or mixed to a slurry? Another masterpiece in progress.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Cobbles are looking great. That fine soil Wolfgang showed us - do you use it dry like pigment or mixed to a slurry? Another masterpiece in progress.
Jim
Hi Jim..... Thanks for looking in. Once dry I store it in a jar, then spray a very light coat of flat/mat varnish on the base , then scatter very thinly over the still wet varnish. Then turn the base over and remove the surplus.The thinner the application the better, you can always add more if required. I suppose you could use pigment fixer, If doing this on the hull sides, but I think the varnish coat for thin applications is just as good. HSH.
John .

Wolfgang says . Guten Morgen !

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there john i have been surfing on the net and i came across few things and I remembered that you are building a workshop! So I found these pieces which are might be at your interest! Here are some pictures! Regards Danny 548FD89D-BCE1-4905-B95C-02453E0C4AA1.jpegF56DF408-3D37-4028-9428-F543C88EC632.png7F4FA0D2-D5B0-4601-AF34-D96269E62D6B.png0FDA9852-A70D-4F5F-AC35-7CB83849EB57.png66C44FE4-CD78-4051-985B-1F0C00F2D83F.png99295A2D-74BE-41A9-93C0-3DDCB8649ED6.png83217630-D15C-4318-B53B-2F5F254BBA45.png

D

Daniel Horvath

Probably the first MMK kit is the best option its only 20€ and loads of things in it! Hope it helps! All the best Danny

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Probably the first MMK kit is the best option its only 20€ and loads of things in it! Hope it helps! All the best Danny
OOH Temptations. Thanks for that Danny. I liked the gen right hand side.
you will see some modifications to the building .........

Evening all .
Good day had, some time at bench and other spent making small size soil. Soil first.
1st load a sample of garden soil in small bucket, add water.

_MG_3746.JPG
By angling the bucket in a circular motion .

_MG_3747.JPG
The slight tipping leaves the very fine at the top , larger particles fall to the bottom.

_MG_3749.jpg S1.jpg
You can now see the very fine particles that I need at the top , by carefully removing the water with a small container I was able to separate ost of the fine, Its now drying in another plastic tub.

Before any one else changes channel or goes to sleep .

Made some sliding doors , using plastic sheet I glued some thick plastic strip to form the styles and rails. Then marking the sheet made some planking .This is just to show how it will all look .

_MG_3752.JPG
_MG_3753.JPG
_MG_3754.JPG
_MG_3756.JPG

It was at this point I decided to put a door way into the rest of the factory
_MG_3758.JPG
Piece of channell as rsj
_MG_3757.JPG

Now its going to be pretty cramped in there, and to be able to see in from two sides I might as Danny's suggestion open the right hand wall with some battle damage.
On a roll at the moment, I even produced some doors for the above opening , just a section of foam board with some section stuck to it. Will add bolts later .
Thanks for following .Comments welcome.

John.

Attachments

• _MG_3748.JPG
    _MG_3748.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 3

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking awesome John! Your brick and cobble stone work is very convincing.
I personally enjoy scratching up the foam myself but not on such a scale, I've heard though that too much "scoring-o-de-foam" can
lead to manic behavior :flushed:

insane-asylum-dayroom.jpg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very convincing John, the building has come together nicely. Good job with the sliding doors too:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
JR - What can I say! Totally awesome dude! The sliding doors are genius. The brickwork is truly wonderful. This is turning into a real masterpiece. By far your best work mate. Keep it comin