Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane MK1

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan

Looking great so far. The exhausts look especially convincing.

1/24 is probably a tad too large a scale for me but then again never say never! And u am lusting after the new 1/24 Typhoon.

Looking forward to this large scale Hurri's progress.

All the best

Paul

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hi AlanLooking great so far. The exhausts look especially convincing.

1/24 is probably a tad too large a scale for me but then again never say never! And u am lusting after the new 1/24 Typhoon.

Looking forward to this large scale Hurri's progress.

All the best

Paul
Paul I saw the sprues of the typhoon at the model show in Torquay last month and it looks very detailed much more surface detail and more little bits to put on :smiling3:

\ said:
Here are 2 photos of a rolls royce merlin at duxford. I know it is a bit late, but here it is for your reference.John
Thanks for that john that will be a big help as this won't be the last hurry I build :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Excellent work Al, looks great and superb highlights.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I've finished the port side .303 mg bay I figured with all that cordite going off it would be pretty mucky in there, nicely detailed parts but very awkward to fit and luckily the parts just fitted in nice without having to glue them this was great as it was easier to adjust them once I started to put the walls on :smiling3: View attachment 85169

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good Alan.I remember getting this kit for Xmas when I was a teen in the 1970's. Biggest thing I'd built at the time.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers dave , this is a great kit and shows it's age but I suppose on what I've seen of the kit so far I'd say it would have been classed as a decent kit back then

After starting this I've decided too do all the 1/24 kits :smiling3:

First Name
Jason
Really nice Alan. This is going to be an epic build!

Jason

P

Polux

Looking good Alan.

The drybrsuh effect is a nicely touch ;)

Wow!! Now I understand why the Stuka was on danger, these machine guns intimidate just a bit :D :D :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I'm glad your liking this :smiling3:

\ said:
Really nice Alan. This is going to be an epic build!Jason
I hope so Jason this is my fourth hurry on the bounce and i haven't been quite happy with the others so hopefully this will be ok :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Cheers dave , this is a great kit and shows it's age but I suppose on what I've seen of the kit so far I'd say it would have been classed as a decent kit back then After starting this I've decided too do all the 1/24 kits :smiling3:
I hope your airfield is big enough:smiling:.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Looking good Alan.The drybrsuh effect is a nicely touch ;)

Wow!! Now I understand why the Stuka was on danger, these machine guns intimidate just a bit :D :D :D
Your right mate , the Battle of Britain showed how ineffective the Stuka was :smiling3: View attachment 85191

A shot of just the guns :smiling3:
image.jpg

First Name
Richard
Hi Alan,

nice job so far, like the gun bay and weathering on the engine. cant wait to see the next pics.

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the looks of these gun bays well done Alan, liking this build, ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Alan. You're doing a fine job. I'm not sure I'd say that the Stuka was ineffective though. When it had the sky to itself the Ju87 was the ultimate dive bomber of its time. It was just vulnerable when air superiority wasn't in place. People tend to forget that the Ju87 went on to cause untold damage to a variety of targets in the Mediterranean, African and Eastern Front theatres after the Battle of Britain.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Nice work Alan. You're doing a fine job. I'm not sure I'd say that the Stuka was ineffective though. When it had the sky to itself the Ju87 was the ultimate dive bomber of its time. It was just vulnerable when air superiority wasn't in place. People tend to forget that the Ju87 went on to cause untold damage to a variety of targets in the Mediterranean, African and Eastern Front theatres after the Battle of Britain.
Your quite right joe , I should have said without air superiority , what let the Stuka down was it's low speed even when they had fighter cover they were still vulnerable

Thanks for your comments I appreciate them :smiling3:

D

dubster72

This is a great build Alan - I'm really enjoying watching this one come together.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you Patrick I'm pleased you like it :smiling3:

It's been slow going as I've doing this properly and not used a hair dryer as I'm acostumed to do when do a build I really like :smiling3:

I've decided to have all the parts showing and I'm unsure about having the spinner cap on or off , I haven't glued the wings on yet so I can do the little bit of painting inside , I had to superglue the wing half as the landing gear bay kept popping the seams , the rear wheel will be a little higher due to me forgetting to put it in when I stuck the fuselage together View attachment 85238

View attachment 85239

The wings will fit together pretty well considering how twisted most of this is :smiling3:
image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Your right mate , the Battle of Britain showed how ineffective the Stuka was :smiling3: View attachment 85533A shot of just the guns :smiling3:
The Stuka was a deadly and greatly feared weapon.It was only withdrawn from the Battle of Britain because it faced determined fighter opposition for the first time.It was very effective during the Blitzkreig of France and the Low Countries .Also against Russia and in the Mediterranean.If you build all the 1/24 Airfix kits I would beware of the Spitfire.A lot of the ones I've seen built have got the wing dihedral wrong.The wings look flat when viewed from the front.I haven't built one but it looks like it needs a bit of work to get the wings right.Peter Airfix's recent build is one of the better ones I've seen.