Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire MK VB

First Name
Dave
Looking good Alan.Looks like your on top of all the problems so far.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers folks I'm glad your enjoying it :smiling3:

\ said:
Looking good Alan.Looks like your on top of all the problems so far.
Dave I think I've worked out why the wings are so straight ! The underside wings are very flexible and the upper wings are not this is causing the wings to straighten so what I'm going to do is fix the underside to the fuse and let that dry overnight then tomorrow fix the upper wings to the wing roots with superglue so it drys quicker , I did a dry fitting earlier and it made them look a bit better :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Cheers folks I'm glad your enjoying it :smiling3: Dave I think I've worked out why the wings are so straight ! The underside wings are very flexible and the upper wings are not this is causing the wings to straighten so what I'm going to do is fix the underside to the fuse and let that dry overnight then tomorrow fix the upper wings to the wing roots with superglue so it drys quicker , I did a dry fitting earlier and it made them look a bit better :smiling3:
Sounds like a good idea.Hopefully it will work.

P

Polux

Looking very good Alan, you are doing a lovely work!

I like it!!

D

Deleted member 3568

You will sort it Alan I have no doubt wish I had half you're skill set.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Simple question did all spitfires in North Africa have the Vokes intake ?

I have one in the kit and want to do the desert version but it doesn't fit properly so I was wondering if I can get away with the standard one

N

noble

You seem to have the tiger by the tail Alan it's going good keep it up.

scott

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice pilot. Like many others I've got one of these as well. I think Debenhams sold a few off cheap some time ago. Nice to see someone else run through the old dear first.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Simple question did all spitfires in North Africa have the Vokes intake ?I have one in the kit and want to do the desert version but it doesn't fit properly so I was wondering if I can get away with the standard one
They all had a tropical filter, Vokes or Aboukir.

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
They all had a tropical filter, Vokes or Aboukir.Cheers

Steve
Cheers Steve ive got the Aboukir so I can put that one on as it fits better :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Just a little update

I've put the main pieces together now so it now looks like a spitfire View attachment 94376

my plan to make the wings more angled like it should be didn't work , the wing roots need filing back a bit to work , the theory is sound but needs work View attachment 94377

the engine panels have little guide pins on them but these actually throw the panel out and they don't fit properly so it's best to file them off and with a little bit of filing on some edges you get a pretty flush fit View attachment 94381

View attachment 94383

Like here View attachment 94384

just some bits to fit and I can start filling the gaps and there are a few
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

S

steve scan

Looking good, the fit does not seem as bad as I remember when I first had a go at this years ago.

First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely Alan.I can see Im going to have problems with the fit of that wing.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Alan, you're going to need a lot of filler though :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Coming along nicely Alan.I can see Im going to have problems with the fit of that wing.
I believe the lack of dihedral is fairly well known with this kit. Someone somewhere will have detailed the fix, I suppose.