Airfix 54mm Napoleonic French Line Infantry

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As has been said its getting better. Have you been using the latest Laser Micro surgery equipment, Neil? I find there is a marked difference in my surgery as the years progress especially on the same dio I have been working on for eons. :smiling6:
Good work on Fusilier 13

Cheers,
Wabble
Actually ,I have noticed an improvement in my painting but a dropping off in finesse - I'm getting a bit more slapdash as I near the finishing line.
For instance the fingers of the right hand on this boy should be better defined, but I just cannot bring myself to bother.
I just want it DONE!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oh dear I REALLY do need help! My two projects are cross-fertilizing!

I’ve only gone and created another fusilier…..

I was looking at them all lined up and I decided I really need another standing firing figure, and Fusilier 15 was an obvious candidate so I replaced his right arm and tweaked his left arm

Before
Fusilier 15.jpg
After
Fusilier 15 (2).jpg

The legs of Fusilier 13 came from the Airfix AWI British Grenadier, but they don’t HAVE to have gaiters, do they, and I’ve got some of those US Marine legs still,…. and I have the spare torso from the British Grenadier that I can think of no good use for, and with a bit of carving the uniform could be made into a Fusilier jacket….

Airfix AWI British Grenadier 54mm(1).jpg

…and before I knew it there was Fusilier 16

Fusilier 16 (1).jpgFusilier 16 (3).jpg
Obviously there's quite a bit of work to make him into a fusilier, but I just can't help myself.
The shako and equipment is all easy, especially as I can 3D print some of it- except that it means I have to texture another bloody furry pack! The British Grenadier had one but I’ve already used it. I’m still determined to USE UP THE STASH and the only one I have left is with the French Imperial Guardsman kit (I know I could sculpt it but I can’t be arsed). So now I have to think of a use for that kit without the pack-shouldn’t be too difficult but it adds another project to the growing list.
So there we are, just as the end was coming into sight....
Cheers
Neil

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I did a fair sized battle dio about 20 years ago, but nowhere near the work you are putting in. About the only surgery was new hands to better grip the weapons. You are showing us the true art of figure modelling. Excellent work, cannot wait for the final reveal.
John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Moving swiftly along, Fusilier 14 is ready for the wet stuff.
Here's where we left him

Fusilier 14.jpg

And here's how he looks now

Fusilier 14 ready (4).jpg

Fusilier 14 ready (9).jpg

I'm not so sure about how the chin scales would hang with the shako upside down like this- I reasoned they are more flexible inwards (around the face) than outwards, but if anyone has any information to the contrary I will be happy to change it.
So on with the paint - I much prefer painting these guys individually rather than in batches as it means I take a bit more care...!
cheers
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another great figure Neil. As to the chinscales, I would say you’ve got it exactly right, judging by how they are made. I think they were fabric backed, but check because I might be wrong. Probably easier to check that on a reenactment suppliers site.…..originals may well have lost their fabric by now.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another lesson in fine modelling Neil.
You manage to capture these so well .