Andrew's 2x 1/72 S-Model Jagdpanthers

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Niiiiiiice! :thumb2: Think I'll do tri color scheme on mine....just to be different;)

Andy,
It's a big thumbs up from me mate.

Nice looking pair (as the bishop said to the actress). Looking forward to the camo.

Thanks guys! Glad you're liking them.

Rick - if Tanks Encyclopaedia is to be believed, I could have gone tri-camo but every other German AFV I have has been done in tri-camo, so I thought this would make a change. I must admit I'm regretting not doing the cast effect on the mantlet like you have - should have thought of that! :sad-face:

Thanks again chaps.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks guys! Glad you're liking them.

Rick - if Tanks Encyclopaedia is to be believed, I could have gone tri-camo but every other German AFV I have has been done in tri-camo, so I thought this would make a change. I must admit I'm regretting not doing the cast effect on the mantlet like you have - should have thought of that! :sad-face:

Thanks again chaps.

Andrew
Hi Andy....just keep it in mind for the next time you need a cast effect......the smaller the scale the more tricks one needs to add in order to fool the "big scalers" into thinking you're building a model and not playing with a toy. ;):tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
There’s are looking sweet Andrew. Camo will really add interest.
Just had a catch up with your build, brilliant. But better your eyes than mine...
Hi Andy....just keep it in mind for the next time you need a cast effect......the smaller the scale the more tricks one needs to add in order to fool the "big scalers" into thinking you're building a model and not playing with a toy. ;):tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Thank you gents! Glad you like them!

Mike - I probably don't! Quite badly long sighted.....vari-focal lenses, with specially thinned glass other wise they would be bottle tops.....plus 1.8x mag optivisor for the small pieces!! :sad-face:

Rick - duly noted!! I really am kicking myself though, having seen yours!

Thanks again chaps!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Love the paint on the Kitties Andrew. It doesn't matter if it's too dark or light as the green camo will set it off perfectly!!!...BTW, how was sleeping on the couch for a week after the good wife saw you using her Supperware cake holder for your 'Kitty Kakes'???...

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Love the paint on the Kitties Andrew. It doesn't matter if it's too dark or light as the green camo will set it off perfectly!!!...BTW, how was sleeping on the couch for a week after the good wife saw you using her Supperware cake holder for your 'Kitty Kakes'???...

Prost
Allen

Actually she just raised an eyebrow and left it at that...I have though done it before so she is used to it....but the latest set of arrivals (that she knows about) have led to serious discussions about the size of my stash......:fearful:....but more about that later. I am waiting for a couple more things to arrive........

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, I just stopped by to see where you are at on these two..... I'm hoping to see 'em in camo soon. ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andy, I just stopped by to see where you are at on these two..... I'm hoping to see 'em in camo soon. ;)
Sorry Rick, missed this.

It went on hold whilst I got my Raiden finished.

I'll be picking this up again, now my Yak is at the primer/paint stage.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all and especially Rick aka @Mini Me

So I was faced with a dilemma this evening.....

.....Junior was playing online with his school buddies.....and my wife was out for the evening.....what is a man to do?....it's like the modelling Gods were saying I HAD to spend time at the bench!!!!
::)
:D

I briefly toyed with doing the Yak-3 as it has reached the PE stage but I wanted to save that until club night on Tuesday.

So I decided to return to the Jagdpanthers. These had been put on hold whilst I got the Raiden over the line...plus I putting off doing the camo.

As you we all know German AFV camo is a dark and mysterious art, with so many documented exceptions to the numerous rules that I'm sometimes left wondering if there were more exceptions than ones that actually followed the rules!

However, as I explained previously, I have gone for a two tone Dunkelgelb/Olivegrun scheme. But why?

Well......the Tanks Encyclopedia website has four drawings of vehicles from schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 654 in Normandy (my chosen unit and timeframe)....with four different camo schemes. Only one though has the two piece barrel and this has a two tone yellow/green scheme.
tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/jagdpanther.php

And.....the World War Photos website has several shots of JPs purporting to be from sPzAbt 654. One has what is almost certainly a two scheme of unknown colours. Whilst several other JPs are in shot, it is impossible to tell what camo scheme they have due to the angle/focus of the shot but what is noticeable is that the one that is fully side on has the road wheels in alternating colours, when none of the others appear to.
www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/jagdpanther/jagdpanthers-654abt/

So in short, my two are a homage to the one I found on the World War Photos website. The Olivgrun is Vallejo's Model Air 71.092 Medium Olive RAL 6003.

I was very worried about trying to do the blotches at this scale but I think I have pulled it off. One of them has slightly darker green blotches than the other. That was unintentional but gives a bit of variation.

ACW as usual

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

My inspiration.....

www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/jagdpanther/jagdpanthers-654abt/

My two homages....