Andrew's 2x 1/72 S-Model Jagdpanthers

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow! Now that is an eye opener. You are definitely on track with those inner road wheels - that sheen is well noted!

Do not worry about the wheels/tracks, you have made a great job of them.

Thanks guys. Quite pleased with the but given what they're for, I'm not going to worry too much about going for a 'perfect' finish!

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andrew, These two are just the ticket, looking forward to the next update. :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrew totally agree with Michael fantastic job and I'll confirm your thoughts completely.....yep .....jagdpanthers. Come on guys its a 1/72 model aimed primarily at the wargame table ,no one cares about the wheels ,seems to me Andrew had a throughly enjoyable session bringing these two together made some nice little add ons result shows for its self. Well done buddy. Dave

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mighty fine Andrew.Ive got a few 1.72nds to put together.Emhar Ww1 whippet,Azv,Mark 1v tanks.Plus 10 Heller Shermans which i love.Have a few conversions for them.Have you looked at the First into battle kits?,Seen a few made by Herbert Erpederp on youtube and they look nice little kits.Bit like Model soldier company stuff.
All the best pal.
Richard

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew totally agree with Michael fantastic job and I'll confirm your thoughts completely.....yep .....jagdpanthers. Come on guys its a 1/72 model aimed primarily at the wargame table ,no one cares about the wheels ,seems to me Andrew had a throughly enjoyable session bringing these two together made some nice little add ons result shows for its self. Well done buddy. Dave

Mighty fine Andrew.Ive got a few 1.72nds to put together.Emhar Ww1 whippet,Azv,Mark 1v tanks.Plus 10 Heller Shermans which i love.Have a few conversions for them.Have you looked at the First into battle kits?,Seen a few made by Herbert Erpederp on youtube and they look nice little kits.Bit like Model soldier company stuff.
All the best pal.
Richard

Richard, David

So very, sorry completely forgot to acknowledge your very kind comments! And Richard, I have seen the First into battle kits....even my wife had a go at building one in lockdown!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok chaps............................so........................

......................yet again the combined might of the Modelling and Research Gods have kicked me where no man should be kicked....:disappointed::crying:

Turns out that the camo pattern I had gone with was wrong, it should almost certainly be a tri-colour pattern.....but more about that later.....and not one that will be easily adapted from what I have done so far, so I will be going back to a yellow base and start again! :worried::worried::crying::loudly-crying::loudly-crying::loudly-crying::loudly-crying:

Next up an nice clean yellow base!

Don't you just love the hobby sometimes!;)

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry to hear that Andrew..........I have been patiently waiting for further developments. Hope you get it sorted soon. :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry to hear that Andrew..........I have been patiently waiting for further developments. Hope you get it sorted soon. :thumb2:

Thanks Lee....so had I but I wanted to get my Yak over the line ahead of Christmas, which I have now done (have a look at the build thread). I'm just waiting to take some pictures tomorrow, when the light is better.

I'll obviously now have plenty of time over the festive period to catch up.

Thanks as always for dropping in!!

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Blimy Andrew you've taken one to the nether regions there ,I suppose its down to your own feelings about accuracy dont really know the words to use ,I thought they looked brilliant end of ,I know your into your table top stuff but would someone really say sorry mate can't use them there not accurate ,as I said I dont know how far you go with this sort of thing but at this point I'd be flipping the bird at the world and his wife ,any way make sure you post up the outcome. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimy Andrew you've taken one to the nether regions there ,I suppose its down to your own feelings about accuracy dont really know the words to use ,I thought they looked brilliant end of ,I know your into your table top stuff but would someone really say sorry mate can't use them there not accurate ,as I said I dont know how far you go with this sort of thing but at this point I'd be flipping the bird at the world and his wife ,any way make sure you post up the outcome. Dave
For gaming I would say they are more than good enough. In fact, I think they look excellent. As Dave says, changing them is down to your tolerance of accuracy more than anything else. Most gamers would look at them and say something like “they look nice, plus two on firing isn’t it?” and leave it at that. Whatever way you go they will be great when you finish though.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
For gaming I would say they are more than good enough. In fact, I think they look excellent. As Dave says, changing them is down to your tolerance of accuracy more than anything else. Most gamers would look at them and say something like “they look nice, plus two on firing isn’t it?” and leave it at that. Whatever way you go they will be great when you finish though.

Thanks chaps....you're absolutely right that they were more than fine for any table top and as as you know also know I am not normally one for uber-accuracy, and so ordinarily I would not have been fussed but in this case they have quite a well known history that ties in with our little battles.

654 Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung were the only unit operating the Jagdpanther in Normandy and on 30th July they 'famously' took out 11 Churchills of 6th Guards Tank Brigade on Hill 226/Mont Pincon/Quarry Hill, in no more than a few minutes. Well it so happens that by a complete fluke and long before I found out about this engagement, I marked up Junior's Churchills from 6th Guards Tank Brigade - hence me wanting to get these right.

Thanks again for the support and for liking the first iteration.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Afternoon fellow modelling nuts!

Firstly, apologies for not being around much recently.....life, etc, etc.......

Secondly, I have managed to finish the tri colour camo and have attached the spare tracks....but before the pics some background on my research, which is very reliant on my book on this unit:
  • Up until I got the book, I had never been able to work out from which company of Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 654 the Jadgpanthers involved in the action had come.
  • However, I'm sure I had read somewhere that it was the 2nd Company - not that I could find it but that turns out to be wrong anyway.
  • The book contains an entry from the diary of a member of the unit confirming that it was three JPs from the 3rd Company's 1st platoon that were involved in the action.
  • One was definitely 311 belonging to the platoon leader, a Leutnant Scheiber.
  • The book also contains some high quality plates, including one of 314, from which I drew my inspiration for the camo schemes.
  • I have not finished the research yet but using this new info (and after I had completed the paint job), I have just found new material online, also quoting the book, stating that 314 was also involved in the action.

In terms of the paints, I used Vallejo's Model Air and Model Colour:
  • 71.028 Dunkelgelb (RAL 7028)
  • 71.092 Medium Olive (RAL 6003) for the olivgrün
  • 71.041 Armour Brown (RAL 8017) for the rotbraun on one vehicle
  • and for a slightly redder colour to vary it a bit, a mixture of 71.041 Armour Brown (RAL 8017) and 70.984 Flat Brown (not entirely successfully).

The patterns were an approximation of that from 314 and also 332, as the 314 plate only shows the front and LHS. The camo pattern from 332's RHS looks to be a similar pattern and going by the dates was likely to have been painted around the same time.....the rear and topsides, I had to make a guess on. I also reversed the green and brown on one them to mix it up even more.
I still have some minor damage to the paint job to add but I will keep it light as the 3rd Company only had their vehicles for around a month before they saw action.

A note of warning about the pics; for some reason the colours have turned out a bit more vibrant even though I took them outside in a nice natural light - the colours on the schürzen are much closer to the real thing than the rest.

Also, just remember that it turns out the S-Model JPs are a slightly later versions of the G2 than the actual ones in the unit - or didn't have items included in the kit e.g. stowage bin on the superstructure. But by the time I realised it was too late and so some of the features are not accurate.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------

My source material:

My homage to 314 and 332:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic painting andrew , not easy on such a small scale , they look amazing , cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very very nice Andrew :thumb2:

Fantastic painting andrew , not easy on such a small scale , they look amazing , cheers tony

As Tony says, superb painting !!

Thanks chaps and apologies for the very belated reply. They're not bad are they, all things considered. They good news is that I've made some more progress (see below), as I want to get these across the line before I properly move on to my 190s and biplane.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all.

So the final assembly is pretty much done, as you can see below.

From what what I have seen so far in book on it, this unit did not have the hull schürzen skirts installed in most cases. However, there are a few pics of vehicles with it on, so I have taken some modelling licence with one of the vehicles.

I'm also added some basic chipping using Panzer Grey (Humbrol H67) to represent some minor abrasions as he crew have moved about the exterior of the vehicle. These vehicles had not been with the unit very long before they saw action, so I see no point in overdoing it.

Next up is the pre-decal clear coat!

Below are few rushed shots taken in less than ideal light, so apologies for the quality.

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wow!!
Just had a quick catch up Andrew.... the Guys have already said it all,but you've done a fantastic job with the paintwork there:cool:, superb stuff mate:thumb2:.