Andy's SBD-5 Dauntless Revell 1/48

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm at it again!!...
... I may not be the greatest at these Wingy fings... But I sure am persistent!! ;)
My next offering is this...
IMG20230602142052.jpg
At first glance I'm surprised how, relatively small these were, anyway,sprue shots...
IMG20230602141955.jpg
Nice instructions,and the decals look good too ... HOWEVER,that mask set is a bit of a punt, couldn't find anything related to my Revell kit,so I bought that one,(it's for the Hasegawa kit),so I'm hoping I can adapt it a little... Fingers crossed!!
IMG20230602144219.jpg
IMG20230602144428.jpg
IMG20230602144726.jpg
Looks ok so far,and I've heard good things about it,so we'll see. ;)
As always,any of you reprobates who would like to tag along will be most welcome :smiling3:
I've made a start,more of that later,
Cheers for now,
Andy

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’ll just settle in at the back Andy , bag of pork scratchings in hand , looks like a great build in prospect . The Accurate Miniatures toolings are beautifully detailed , this particular one being reboxed by Revell , Italeri and Eduard , shame they went bust , at least their toolings survived though . Cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Andy. Got a soft spot for dive bombers so I’ll follow this build. As to the size impression, that to be expected, you’ve just build a huge TBD, everything else will seem tiny in comparison.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After your last hairoplane, I’m looking forward to following this-un too! :thumb2:
Well,that's very kind of you to say so Doug... let's hope it'll be a similar result :smiling3:
Got to be in it to win it.

I fancy building one of these as I like the shape of them so will see how this kit works out.
Thanks Andy,good to see you pop in, I'll try and flag up some pointers as I go. ;)
Another wingy thingy from your good self. Looks a nice kit. Certainly enough parts. I'm in.
Cheers Jim, yep,many parts,and some rather tricky ones!! ;)
Looks good Andy, hope it builds as well as it looks :thumb2:

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff... So far it certainly is ;)
No pressure Andy :smiling:
HA !! Cheers Mick.. none felt!! :smiling3:
Joining the party!
Welcome aboard Sir... What's your name again?!! ;)
I’ll just settle in at the back Andy , bag of pork scratchings in hand , looks like a great build in prospect . The Accurate Miniatures toolings are beautifully detailed , this particular one being reboxed by Revell , Italeri and Eduard , shame they went bust , at least their toolings survived though . Cheers tony
Pork Scratchings are definitely the way to go mate.. MUCH better than biscuits,(even "The nice biscuits" Colin!! :smiling3:. ) always my "go to" snack!!
This kit is looking rather good imho, I'll keep you posted. :smiling3:
Looks good Andy. Got a soft spot for dive bombers so I’ll follow this build. As to the size impression, that to be expected, you’ve just build a huge TBD, everything else will seem tiny in comparison.
Cheers Tim,I realise just how big the Avenger was,but for some reason I thought this one would of a similar size.. but definitely NOT!! ;)
Smiffffy babes,
I'm in. If it turns out half as well as the last one it will be a cracker.
Scottie,(Dawg. ;). ), Thanks very much buddy... We'll see. :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A brief update,
Doesn't look much,but there were a LOT of bits shoved together here...
IMG20230604192147.jpg
IMG20230604192201.jpg
... and that lot is covered in good ole Halfords Grey :smiling3:... Now then,this is looking superbly detailed...
IMG20230604144258.jpg
.. the control panel, obviously,but what I want to know,and I've found this in my last few builds,why do they produce this type of thing in clear,when you have to paint it anyway?!! :sad:
... Next...
IMG20230604192425.jpg
That's the turret mechanism there,I DO love a Turret as you know. ;) Quite fiddly,but not a hill of beans :smiling3:
Finally for tonight,I know there may be a few looking in who are considering buying this kit,and,so far, I'd say it'd be a good purchase, however,there are a couple of things to look out for up to now,mainly,in this section of the build...
IMG20230604192559.jpg
... Easy to get caught out there,I did!! .. however,I remedied it without too much stress. ;)
That's it for now,
Thanks for looking in... until midweek then...

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
View attachment 483168
.. the control panel, obviously,but what I want to know,and I've found this in my last few builds,why do they produce this type of thing in clear,when you have to paint it anyway?!! :sad:
I think the idea is that you leave the instrument dials clear, then paint them from the back, so you have clear "glass" in your instruments.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think the idea is that you leave the instrument dials clear, then paint them from the back, so you have clear "glass" in your instruments.
Pete
Ah, right, didn't realise that Pete,the rest of the panel should be black, and/or green,so not sure how that would work, too late now anyway... I primered the lot!! ....
... They do give some excellent individual clock decals in the kit...
... we'll see how it goes. ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ah, right, didn't realise that Pete,the rest of the panel should be black, and/or green,so not sure how that would work, too late now anyway... I primered the lot!! ....
... They do give some excellent individual clock decals in the kit...
... we'll see how it goes. ;)
Personally I think they look very difficult to paint cleanly without masking.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Personally I think they look very difficult to paint cleanly without masking.
Indeed,in both counts Tim :smiling3:
Certainly a very nicely detailed control panel, and all the other stuff is superb too,IMHO :smiling3:
I may not be going about this in the appropriate manner.. but I'm sure I will get some sort of result out of it ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just a brief update..
IMG20230605145405.jpg
... Just a point, I've only done about half a dozen planes, but not seen the tail wheel split like that before!! ..
Here's some of the "Green"going on.
IMG20230605180943.jpg
..and a bit more..
IMG20230605181059.jpg
Yeah,a lot of tiny stuff going on there also,MUCH more to do,but now we're on the way. :smiling3: