Andy's SBD-5 Dauntless Revell 1/48

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Seat belts add a nice bit of spice Andy. All looking very good.
Thanks Andy,these etch belts are far better than the kit supplied decal types. ;)
Just caught up to this Mr. Smiff, looks good from across the Pond! ;)
Cheers Rick, that kind of distance is just about perfect for viewing my Wingy things! ;)
Seat belts look fantastic andy , doesnt matter if they were for the avenger , they were probably a standard fit on US navy aircraft anyway , cheers tony
Thanks Tony,I was kinda hoping that would be the case ;)
Nice job on the belts. Always think they add finesse to a cockpit.
Interesting that your TBF ones are completely different to mine (also made by Eduard). Mine are far too large, so are impossible to fit properly…..only one of the issues I’ve had with the Eduard cockpit set for that bird…..
Hi Tim, this is the first time I've fitted belts as I usually put the crew in.Interesting that yours are so different....can I have a look... or is that just TOO geeky?!! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Andy,these etch belts are far better than the kit supplied decal types. ;)

Cheers Rick, that kind of distance is just about perfect for viewing my Wingy things! ;)

Thanks Tony,I was kinda hoping that would be the case ;)

Hi Tim, this is the first time I've fitted belts as I usually put the crew in.Interesting that yours are so different....can I have a look... or is that just TOO geeky?!! ;)
I’ll post them soon, should start assembling the interior to the fuselage tomorrow…..they just look like folded bits of cream coloured tinfoil so I’m pretty happy that the interior is quite obscured…..
Biggest difference is that they are lap belts only, but they are too long for the seat and too fat as well. If you fitted them as they should be they’d probably fit Giant Haystacks…..They supply three sets, but only give you instructions for the location of one set…..I know the second goes in the turret, which was even harder to fit, but where did the third set go? My reference book doesn’t show it, and the only other seat is the bench seat for the navigator, which they certainly didn’t go on. I just assume the poor old navigator got thrown around with no restraints…….

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh well,in for a penny!! The part I dread coming up...
... trying to match up the two fuselage halves with their various sections to be adjoined :sad: ...
This bit...
IMG20230610153545.jpg
Added to this bit..
IMG20230610154154.jpg
Which ended up with this...
IMG20230610172605.jpg

So not too bad, just a few bits of stuff to resolve :smiling3:
I can't really moan about the kit whatsoever,it's really good IMHO...
... However,I do wonder why certain elements of the phone apps don't work on the site?! .. for example..
.. emojis?! :sad:

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Oh well,in for a penny!! The part I dread coming up...
... trying to match up the two fuselage halves with their various sections to be adjoined :sad: ...
This bit...
View attachment 483547
Added to this bit..
View attachment 483548
Which ended up with this...
View attachment 483550

So not too bad, just a few bits of stuff to resolve :smiling3:
I can't really moan about the kit whatsoever,it's really good IMHO...
... However,I do wonder why certain elements of the phone apps don't work on the site?! .. for example..
.. emojis?! :sad:
Cracking work as per usual mon-sewar!!!
As for the emoji's!! I use another site hosted by a similar platform. They too force you to use their own selection of emoji. By product of the host I reckon.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cracking work as per usual mon-sewar!!!
As for the emoji's!! I use another site hosted by a similar platform. They too force you to use their own selection of emoji. By product of the host I reckon.
Thanks very much Doug,much appreciated :smiling3: ... as for the imojis,I meant,why do they not work from my phone like they do on my laptop on the site?!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.... Anyway, after "Imoji gate",ere be some progress!! ;) ......
Wings shoved on...
IMG20230611172335.jpg
Pleasently surprised with the nice fit along the leading edges,....as you can see though,there is a gap below the machine gun housing,but that's easily remedied ;)... next I wanted a break,so did some decal work on the prop...
IMG20230613174723.jpg
.. as an aside,I haven't seen this before...
IMG_20230614_202637.jpg
The prop tips as decals,"what a great idea" I thought. :smiling3: ... BUT,in hindsight, it's easier to actually paint them!! ;)
The wing root was a very nice fit...
IMG20230611172350.jpg
Quite chuffed with that. :smiling3: ... Finally, for now,I've put the motor on...
IMG20230614180519.jpg
Won't be long now until we're ready for masking and primer !! ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's looking very smart Andy and seems a well fitting kit too.

Emoji on phones - the features bar up top ^^^ is condensed in mobile view but if you click on one of the three dot thingumybobs it'll expand and those cute yellow faces should appear :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Emoji on phones - the features bar up top ^^^ is condensed in mobile view but if you click on one of the three dot thingumybobs it'll expand and those cute yellow faces should appear :thumb2:
;):thumb2:
... SUPERB..got it!! Cheers Andy :cool:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy. That kit looks like it’s worth looking out for.
Cheers Tim,yes, it's a cracking little kit imho,and well worth an investment :thumb2:

Sussed the Imoji thing now thanks Andy :thumb2:... And yes,it certainly is,thanks for the comment,much appreciated :hugging-face:.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well then Chaps,
Been a bit quiet on this one recently,but that's mainly due to the amount of time it's taken to layer each colour on,and, obviously cut the masks for the camo myself. ;)
Anyway, enough of the excuses...
Ere be pics...
IMG20230618162220.jpg
Hmm,looks a bit arry Tate there eh?!!
But there was a plan ;)... Went from that,to this...
IMG20230619173507.jpg
.. and then this...
IMG20230618192254.jpg
..and then this...
IMG20230619173407.jpg
IMG20230619173430.jpg
It's coming along now, hopefully it'll come "alive" soon :smiling3:

Thanks for looking in as always,a way to go yet,but I must admit that I'm liking this US Navy colouring more and more, even if it is a real pain to mask up!! :nerd:
Cheers for now,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks very much guys,glad someone's still looking in :thumb2: ....
Anyway,I've moved on a little.. tittavated the motor somewhat and added tail wings,also the undercarriage is fixed in at the moment...
IMG20230620183739.jpg
IMG20230620183810.jpg
IMG20230620183824.jpg
Some weathering to be done,and more tiny bits to be added to the wings, I'm looking forward to getting this one over the line now.Been good fun,but becoming a chore!! :flushed:
Cheers for now,
Andy