B-17G Flying Fortress 'Miss Demeanor' 1/48 Monogram

T

treyzx10r

Thanks so much for all the positive support ,Vaughan ,Ole, Si,Peter,Joe,Derek,Andy,Ron & Paul. Ron I could'nt think of a way to incorp panels with the cut away so just did a random free hand,glad to hear you like the way it came out,frankly I was scared that I had buggered the whole deal.Yes Paul its my first cut away and I dreaded every minute of it!!!! Again thank all of you so much for all the positive support,its really a big help!!!

While waiting for the mask to arrive from down under decided to tidy up some details. The front windscreen and forward bulk head pe is really nice

Got to try out the new bendinding tool and its money well spent in my book

The instructions indicate some 'minor' sanding could be required for proper fit. That would be a slight understatement as it took a full day of tedious fitting ,sanding,filing and re-fitting to get it even close! This is not for the faint of heart or impatient modeller!! However the reward is well worth the effort as it adds some really nice detail in a highly visible area.

Next I drilled out the exhaust and painted the assemblies. Starting with a gold base I then used the A/B to apply some metalizer gun metal from Model Master. Then a wash of game color black and a dry brush of testors silver.

Next up the Pilot figures,painted with Model master enamels and finished with citadel washes . Figures are a weak point for me but I'm working hard to get better at it.

cheers Trey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Trey. That PE makes a huge difference to the windshield. Your figures look great, both the pilot and the bloke with the cigarette.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Weak point ?????? You are kidding Trey. Those figures look pretty good to me....... I wish my weak points (and there are plenty of them) were that good.

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree Peter, weak point?.....Yeh, right! Trey no need to worry about those figures, they are superb....as is the rest of the 'outer' work.

Ron

First Name
Dave
I'm impressed with your PE work .If I tried that I'd get superglue on the windscreen!.

K

krow113

Very well done so far. Your figgies are great , so is the cutaway. I'm doing a Visible of the same model with all the p/e and resin sets. You are doing well ,I'll be watching for the finish.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Sorry for the long delay on updates work has been super busy working double shifts alot right now. Finally able to squeeze in some much needed bench time!

I had to spend a lot of time fixing ejector pin marks and other gaps in the floors and bulkheads that are now visible due to the cutaways. I did'nt factor these issues in before hand and it really has set me back time wise. What made it worse was having to work around details and structures already in place,again hindsight is 20/20 they say and here goes the proof. Delays aside and after checking and double checking to make sure all components were in place and the inside as clean as possible the fuse halves are now joined!

The front window frames required some last minute tweaking to get a nice tidy alignment at the front seam but all ended well. I used thin foam safe ca and allowed it to wick into the seams on both sides via capillary action

again thanks for all the continued support and kind words,cheers Trey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Masked up and almost ready to go, looking great Trey. I would not have thought of the locator pins/ejector marks either. The windshield looks like it is nice and flush. Some nice relaxing painting soon?

First Name
Dave
Those window frames look good.My boss wants me to build him the new HK Models 1/32 B17.Im waiting for him to buy the kit first though.So don't know if its going to happen yet.If it does I will use your build for reference if you don't mind.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Oh my word, I'm speechless Trey. Opening her up must of been daunting but as always you've made it look easy. Cracking mate.

Have fun, John

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I was thinking exactly the same thing it's been a while Trey.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Amazing work Trey, superb build, those figures look tops to me. Better than I could achieve anyway.

Si:smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Guys please forgive my long absence things have been hectic to say the least! Dave I'm honored you would use my build as a reference please feel free to do so! John opening the sides up was the scariest thing I've done in a long time,thanks. Thanks all for the encouragement and kind words it really is a huge help in keeping me going! With out further delay heres some of the progress

The tail gunner window supplied was replaced with the Squadron one

fit was decent requiring just some minor sanding

Tail Feathers in place

After some dry fitting and sanding got the wings on and puttied the seams. Along with cleaning things up and re drilling the ID lights.

masked and ready for some paint

Next some interior green for the window frames

followed by some primer

after a very long wet sanding session and rescribing a few lost panel lines it was time for preshading

Finally some color!

cheers Trey ,again my humble apologies for the long stretch between updates