Battle of Britain build part 3 - Spitfire! (Revell 1/32 new tool Spit Mk.II)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very, very nice indeed. I can't really add to what's been said but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these built. I might even try one myself :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Those pilots are the dogs mate i have never seen better painted figures.

scott

T

tommy1drop

Excellent work Paul, those pilots are superb, really looking forward to seeing more.

Tom

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm glad you like the pilots.Spare time is at a premium at the moment and so modelling has been a bit sporadic. As a result I've not really had the time to take pics and describe the steps. I don't have pics of the painting stages of these pilots, however I do plan 2 more pilots 'scrambling' to aircraft plus 2 (maybe 3) other figures to complete the 2 dioramas containing these Spitfires.

If there's still interest I'll definitely talk through these figures step by step. Would it be more useful to include these steps here or as a stand alone 'guide to...'?

This is a much covered topic but if there is interest as to how I approach it then I'm only too happy to oblige.

Thanks again everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing these Spitfires thundering through the skies again and I do hope you like both dioramas and the photographic possibilities of the 'green screen' model.

Cheers

P

Ps. Joe: I'm glad you spotted the likeness - that is Edward Fox in his 'Battle of Britain' film role!
Yes please, when you get a chance, I would really like to follow this,

Colin M..

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes please, when you get a chance, I would really like to follow this,
Ok, when I get to the other figures I'll make a point of taking it slow. Can't guarantee that for the rest of the build though as I can't seem to find the time to do anything at the mo!

BTW, I just want to point out that the 3 pilots in the builds are not included in the kit but are resin figures by 'Wings'. As for the kit, despite it's low price (perhaps because of it) I would recommend it whole heartedly. We finally have a modern 1/32 kit of the early Spit for under £20, what's not not to like?!!! I should really hold fire on my judgement till the end of the build but up to now I've had no complaints at all. I'm sure that Spitfire aficionados will have improvements to make on this but I think it's a great starting point. Of course the real proof in the pudding will be how well these turn out. Here's hoping...

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wings on, stand attachment-points sorted...

Been a while since I last had a chance to sit down to my favourite hobby but things have progressed a bit.

I've come to what I kind of see as the pivotal point in a build, attaching the wings to the fuselage. I've managed to to fix the wings to three of the aircraft that will be displayed 'wheels up'. This was complicated slightly by the need to include mounting points for the stands and accommodate the wires for the engine motors. 2 were relatively simple (the 2 that will be used in a diorama) but the photographic 'green screen' model proved a bit more problematic.

I mounted the 'green screen' model on a ball and socket joint so that positioning the aircraft 'in flight' would be easier. This did cause some problems because the weight of the motor made the model nose dive on the pivot point without a little bit of help. To rectify this I poured small lead shot into the fuselage and then, when i'd got the right amount (around 130gms), very carefully applied liberal amounts of CA through the cockpit cavity. This was no easy task! In the process I managed to break the tail wheel. This was caused by the accelerator I used pouring through the fuselage and out of the tail wheel aperture, covering the wheel and making it weak. This is an easy fix though and I'm not too concerned. The up shot is that I now have a Spitfire that enjoys level flight.

Should have a bit of time this bank holiday so hopefully some more progress will be made. I'm also going to post some accuracy corrections and some alts to the kit.

Cheers

Paul

The attachment point for the 'diorama stands'

The ball and socket joint for the photography model

Level flight...

Broken tail wheel

Pilot in situ...

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice.

I feel the urge to build one of these growing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I feel the urge to build one of these growing :smiling3:
Steve, the kit is really nice to put together and is, in my view, a definite improvement on the miss-matched panel lines of the old hasegawa/revell 1/32 Spitfire I/II and the very old 'classic' Spitfire model from Revell. The lumps and bumps on the cowl have me a bit concerned but the Coffman bulge turned out to be no problem at all as it's a separate part. I'm going to try to correct the cowl bumps as best I can but there are one or 2 mistakes of my own that need highlighting. I'll reveal those when I get to them.

Cheers

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good work Paul, this is coming along nicely. Good solution to the weight and balance issue.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
top notch work on these ones Paul,

still cannot get over the detail on the pilots ,very very inpressage painting ;)

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great thread Paul and the pilots are fantastic are these aftermarket figures as I'm sure figures of this quality didn't come with the kit did they???cheers John.sorry didn't see the earlier post that the figures were from wings to busy looking at the pics

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Good work Paul, this is coming along nicely. Good solution to the weight and balance issue.
It is. I'm interested to see how the attachment works. Will it screw into some kind of articulated joint to help posing the model for the photography?

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Paul, with some great modifications hope all works out ok.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for the support and I apologise for the slow progress with these builds.

Spitfire Mk1 Corrections

I've been working on and off on the 3 'wheels-up' Spits over the past few weeks as and when I can.

I've been busy researching and correcting the Mk1 Spitfire specific issues with the kit as I see them and have done the following:-

1. I replaced both the oil cooler and the radiator housing with a correction set from MDC. I am aware that Barracuda have now produced their own version and will probably be using these on the 2 earthbound Spits (these will receive ALL the whistles and bells!)

2. I've tried my best to correct the more unusual bumps and lumps on the engine cowl to better depict a standard Mk1. The kit comes with a large bulge on the starboard side which (I believe) is a modification and is too large and of the wrong shape. I believe this was taken from the BBMF Mk2 Spit and isn't typical. I also tried to depict the 2 smaller bulges just behind the rocker cover cowling and I reduced the size of the bulge on the port side feeling it was too big. The bulges were first shaped and then cast in resin (enough for the 3 aircraft).

The only thing to add is a much smaller scoop to the left of the starboard large bulge. As I've said I've tried my best (i think the smaller bulges are still too large and may revisit these).

3. I removed the strengthening plates situated on the wings between the first and second machine guns as this (I believe) is another field mod. I have yet to remove the corrosponding plates on the underside of the wings.

4. I'm aware that the ailerons are supposed to be fabric covered and will do my best with thinned putty and very thin plastic card to replicate these.

At the time of going to press (lol!) these were all the AM sets available to me and so its been a bit 'Heath Robinson' in it's approach but I think they should look the part.

Also!

The pilots that seem to have gone down well need new heads. No, they're not battle fatigued they are simply wearing the wrong equipment! Wrong goggles and O2 masks. However I do have replacement heads and these will find their way onto their respective shoulders in due course.

Anyway, thought I'd give a quick update to show things are still moving albeit very slowly.

Cheers

P

Ps. If there are any Spitfire experts wishing to query what I've done then I'm all ears. Part of this exercise (indeed any model undertake) is to find out a great deal more about the subject. Thanks in advance...

Oh, forgot to mention. The small windows on the sides of the fuselage just in front of the cockpit have been fitted but will be filled over and painted to match the fuselage.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work so far, I'm enjoyng watching your attention to detail.

First Name
Richard
I am with Joe there,

Brilliant build so far

Keep it going.

Cheers Richi

D

dubster72

The sheer amount of research & attention to detail is a hallmark of your builds Paul & this is no different!

Quality work of the highest standard.

T

treyzx10r

What Patrick said! Amazing fixes going on. Shame that you'll be having to change the heads, I'm sure the corrected ones will look just as great tho!