Battle of Britain build part 3 - Spitfire! (Revell 1/32 new tool Spit Mk.II)

S

steve scan

Paul this is fantastic work, love the pilots, have one of these in my stash now I am looking forward to starting it, great work.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm a bit confused about the scoops and bulges on the cowling myself. I think that there were the two bulges on both sides and a further little scoop on the starboard side, but I'm not sure now.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm a bit confused about the scoops and bulges on the cowling myself.
Steve, as I understand it there is a small bump behind the rocker cover and a large bump just above it. This is mirrored on the other side (I just haven't photographed the other side of the model). To complicate things slightly the starboard larger bump is closer to the cockpit and also has a small scoop to the left of it. As i understand it not all Mk1 spits had this scoop either.

If anyone with a good solid knowledge of the Spit can confirm or put me right I'd be very grateful.

Thanks P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's two images of the bumps, port and starboard. This example does have the scoop inlet on the starboard side. These are the first two I could find on what are definitely Mark 1s.

Port:

Starboard:

The kit parts are in reasonable positions, but their size and in one case shape is not very good. I didn't see a scoop in the kit, but might have missed it.

On a different note it appears that the inside of the flaps (if you are posing any of yours flaps down) was silver/aluminium paint, not grey/green.

I'm planning to do mine flaps down AND in a realistic pose.....more when I get started.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah, your pics basically confirm the configuration I was working to, essentially my lumps are in the right place (oo er missus!) I've just to complete the small scoop which is to the left of the starboard large lump when viewed from the cockpit. You won't find the small scoop in the kit it's something else I'm going to have to scratch build.

To be frank the lumps and bumps don't really concern me as much as the ailerons do. And the inside of the flaps don't concern me at all (in these 5 builds) as they will all be modelled 'up'. I have some PE flaps for another Spit MK1 somewhere down the line but not these 5 so the colour info will come in useful one day.

I hope you're going to hand the pilot the fine yourself etc etc etc

Thanks Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I hope you're going to hand the pilot the fine yourself etc etc etc
Aaah! but the flaps would be legitimately deployed if, for example, he was just touching down :smiling3:

I did it before with an Me 262.

I'm looking to make a start in a couple of weeks when I get home from my next job. I will most definitely be referring to your thread here for advice!

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Here's two images of the bumps, port and starboard. This example does have the scoop inlet on the starboard side. These are the first two I could find on what are definitely Mark 1s.Port:

Starboard:

The kit parts are in reasonable positions, but their size and in one case shape is not very good. I didn't see a scoop in the kit, but might have missed it.

On a different note it appears that the inside of the flaps (if you are posing any of yours flaps down) was silver/aluminium paint, not grey/green.

I'm planning to do mine flaps down AND in a realistic pose.....more when I get started.

Cheers

Steve
Steve - just a thought, Spits rarely sat with flaps down unless they are being maintained

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve - just a thought, Spits rarely sat with flaps down unless they are being maintained
True Barry, but they needed them for landing.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Paul , apologies mate ,Ive only just seen this thread. Outstanding effort doing 5 at once!! and to such a high standard too. The pilots (soon to be decapitated!) are superbly painted , like a lot of members I'm very poor at figures. Keep up the excellent work , I may be a late attendee but i'm hooked now ! , cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Aaah! but the flaps would be legitimately deployed if, for example, he was just touching down :smiling3:
Good point, well argued.

I think I remember that 262 in construction - sehr gut mein freund (deploying the faintest memory of my 'o' level German)

Tony, it's always nice to have you along. This could quite a lengthy build (because of the lack of time) but I'm hoping that once the alts are done the paint stage should be more straight forward and enjoyable.

With these 5 I intend to only use decals for the serial numbers, the rest of the markings will be airbrushed on.

Cheers everyone for the support I hope it's not too long till the next instalment

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm liking your 'bumps'.

I don't fancy making too many of my own bits. I've had a look at the kit and have decided to reshape the kit parts with the exception of part #172 which I will replace with a bulge molded from Milliput. I think #172 is supposed to be the little scoop, but obviously in 1/12 scale :smiling3:

I will do a Mk 1 and part #176 seems redundant so I might adapt this to make the scoop.

If you are eventually going to build one 'flaps down' you'll have to open the little flap on the wing which covered the actuator mechanism and scratch build the rods. I might be revising my plan :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent work Paul, and a real source of info for when I'll start mine

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm liking your 'bumps'.
Ah, the Jane Fonda work-out is getting results then!... I'm flattered Steve but spoken for!!!

Seriously, if you want a set of 'bumps' I can cast you them. You'll need a razor saw and some Klear to slide and fix them in position.

Wow..amazing..was the pilot supplied with the kit?
No, the pilots are resin figures by Wings (I think I already said this)

Thanks everyone for the kind words hopefully should have a bit more sorted this weekend.

Cheers

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been a while but I have an update...

Finally managed to get some paint on a couple of the Spits and thought a bit of an update was due. I've actually skipped a hell of a lot of work by starting this post with the paint so I'll go back and fill in the gaps.

1.I replaced all the heads on the 3 pilots because they were wearing the wrong masks, helmets and goggles. This really isn't too evident in the shots but at least I know it's correct now. As proof I've shot a couple of the 'removed' heads by the newly installed back dated head! (I destroyed the 3rd head that was replaced when trying to remove it). This touches on the absolute pain it was to remove those heads from the pilots (in the process I destroyed and subsequently had to rebuild 2 of the seat frames).

2. I altered the kit ailerons to back date them to the fabric covered ones used on the MK.1. This was done with thin plastic rod and dissolved putty.

3. I altered the shape of both the Spinners (too pointy) and the Propeller blades (which are too 'paddle' shaped)

4. Finished off the lumps and bumps on the cowl (including the small scoop)

...And finally we have some primer on the 2 going in the dio, plus pre shading. The 3rd Spit (photo Spit) is ready for masking and should be primed this weekend.

Hopefully this weekend we should have some top coat on them. It's been a while since i painted an aircraft Dk Green and Earth and I'm strangely excited about it. I'm also going to be painting all the markings apart from the serial numbers

Hope to get a bit done this weekend.

Cheers

P

ps. Thanks everyone who has commented on this rather stop start build. :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Most excellent progress. They are looking very nice indeed!

Those ailerons look spot on too.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work Paul , those scoops and bumps look great. The fix on the ailerons is brilliant , looks identical to the resin replacements but at no cost - i love it. looking forward to the paint going on , cheers tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Top work Paul , those added bumps and lumps look great.

keep up the good work ;)