Being bashed ! Italeri 1/72 Tupolev tu22 Blinder

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all, some serious bashing being done on the engines now, As the kit ones are too far apart theres only one thing to do, and thats cut away the mounting and make them closer together , before plastering in filler!!! I think ill have to do one side at a time ,as the tail might be a bit delicate if i cut away both sides at once. The engines themselves are going to need a bit of alteration too, theyre a bit too long and theres a few lumps that shouldnt be there. heres the pics

View attachment 42416

View attachment 42417

View attachment 42418

View attachment 42419

View attachment 42420

View attachment 42421

View attachment 42422

P1100393 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100394 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100395 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100399 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100400 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100401 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100402 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Your a brave man Tony. I hope your not going to use the big saw!! Keep the good work up.

Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Your a brave man Tony. I hope your not going to use the big saw!! Keep the good work up.Vaughan
The 14" tenon saw is what i used vaughan!!! The razor saw wasnt long enough . Seemed really strange though, taking a woodworking saw to a kit, who knows maybe i might need the hammer and chisel soon as well !!!!cheers tony

W

wanna_be_aviator

I am sure this patient will come out of the operation with a great figure! Awesome "plastic surgery".

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Latest progress on the blinder- not much really!! Ive cut 12mm off the right hand engine and sanded off the lumps and bumps. This has been glued to the opening , but backwards as the engine looks right that way. Its also been put further back than the kit would have you put it . the engine now needs to be blended in to the fuselage as again ,the kit is incorrect in this area. Ive included a pic with both engines to show the difference , the right side is the modified one , the left is the original kit item placed in the original position . So , next step is out with the milliput to blend the nacelle , and when everythings set , its out with the tenon saw again for the other side!!! The kit needs quite a bit more bashing as its very inaccurate (remember the build of the trumpeter MiG 17!!!? its about as bad!!), im no rivet counter but it has to look something like a blinder! , cheers tony

View attachment 43160

View attachment 43161

View attachment 43162

View attachment 43163

P1100428 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100430 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100431 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100432 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bloody hell Tony,what did they measure when they made the molds for the kit? It seems they weren't even close! Nice work to fix it.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Bloody hell Tony,what did they measure when they made the molds for the kit? It seems they weren't even close! Nice work to fix it.Cheers

Steve
Therein lies the answer steve! They didnt measure anything!!!!! When this kit was tooled (originally by esci i think) the cold war was still very much on, so any sort of information on any soviet bloc hardware (no matter how old or outdated , like the tu 22!) was not available. I think the kit makers just gave it their best shot from looking at a few poor photographs, hence the inaccuracies like the engines and the fuselage being about 20 scale feet too short. Im not going to start counting rivets but i want it to at least look right !! cheers tony

K

Kressy13

This is some really great work so far tony. Keep at it. Your doing a lot better than i would.

Cheers

Kresten

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more on the blinder. Ive filled the area between the engine and the tail with milliput, as this is much more blended on the aircraft than the kit depicts. The milliput will be sanded smooth later . I have also increased the height of the wing fences with plastic card ,again this will be filled and sanded to shape.Im off now to saw off the other engine mount and start all this again!! cheers tony

View attachment 43375

View attachment 43376

View attachment 43377

View attachment 43378

View attachment 43379

P1100439 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100440 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100441 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100443 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100442 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
There's some serious alterations going on there Tony . Looking good.

Vaughan

S

sprayman

Now this looks like is a serious patience tester, admire your grit mate, a very,very nice looking project mate....looking the business.

S

stevegallacci

I started a similar massive redo of the beast, but set it aside for now. Repositioned the tailplanes and re-scribed the wings and started chewing away on the wing to fuselage area. What a mess. Good luck with yours.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I started a similar massive redo of the beast, but set it aside for now. Repositioned the tailplanes and re-scribed the wings and started chewing away on the wing to fuselage area. What a mess. Good luck with yours.
thanks steve, ive just got the engines looking about right, but im going to leave the wing fillets as they arent that much out.Its certainly a big messy job but its such a great looking aircraft its got to be worth it!! cheers tony

V

Vajled

wow... a lot of work you have on this bird...

keep it up great work

Roman

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As mentioned earlier , the engines are now both in place and have had Milliput applied .This is to be sanded smooth to blend in to the tail. They are now shorter , further back and approximately 1/4 inch closer together ! Its been a bit drastic but it now looks like a blinder , the original location and size was nowhere near right!! Next job , getting the wings on . tony

View attachment 43611

View attachment 43612

View attachment 43613

View attachment 43614

P1100447 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100448 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100449 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100450 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

J

James Q

That looks an amazing job done! Hope the wings dont give you too much trouble.