Being bashed ! Italeri 1/72 Tupolev tu22 Blinder

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
fill/sand/fill/prime/fill/sand/prime etc. you get the idea!! I had no idea milliput would be so difficult to sand , when i repaired the nose on the ME p1111 it seemed a lot easier to shape than this bugger was!! Its now had a skim of green stuff on top of the milliput and will no doubt need a bit more after ive primed it and highlighted any flaws , but its nearly there! After this the rest is all just bog standard building so hopefully it will start moving quicker, cheers tony

View attachment 44053

View attachment 44054

View attachment 44055

View attachment 44056

P1100470 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100471 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100472 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100473 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Your hard work is paying off Tony.

Vaughan

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks vaughan, its been a slog but its such a fantastic looking beast it will all be worth it! cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I take my hat off to you Tony. I think I'm more than a bit guilty of just accepting a model and its short comings. I don't think I could engage in a major rebuild like this.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers colin, im usually not too hung up on accuracy but it should bear a likeness - the kit was nothing like!!! The engines are done now so the pace of the build should start picking up a bit ,ill try and get a few pics on in a bit , cheers tony

M

mobear

you have done a great job the hard work has certainly paid off mate

mobear

V

Vajled

Tony you did magnificent work...

Cant wait to see further progress

Cheers,

Roman

First Name
Dave
Good work Tony.You should be ready to tackle a vacform after this!.Ive found milliput very difficult to work with myself.I only use it when nothing else will do the job now.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Good work Tony.You should be ready to tackle a vacform after this!.Ive found milliput very difficult to work with myself.I only use it when nothing else will do the job now.
Me too dave , i know its very good stuff but its a bugger to sand , i only used it this time because of the amount of filling that was necessary , my normal green stuff filler would have taken ages to dry, shrunk, and may even have warped the plastic due to the amount of solvent present. For little jobs where strength is required such as the nose on the PM messerschmitt its great but still hard to shape. cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
At last the engines are done , back to front ,1/4" closer together , 1/2" shorter and blended to the fuselage --in other words , nothing like the kit originals!! Now these are done ,the rest of the assembly can go ahead , starting with the wings , and its starting to look like a blinder at last. The increased height wing fences are also filled and sanded now . Next job - on with the nose and sort the wing joints. cheers tony

View attachment 44188

View attachment 44189

View attachment 44190

P1100525 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100526 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100528 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

I admire your effort doing this one Tony! I'd have stuck this one back into the darkest cupboard I could find!

It's looking very good now, I'll be interested seeing how it turns out as I think the Russians made some stunning looking aircraft.

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I admire your effort doing this one Tony! I'd have stuck this one back into the darkest cupboard I could find!It's looking very good now, I'll be interested seeing how it turns out as I think the Russians made some stunning looking aircraft.

Patrick
Not half patrick! The blinder is one of the most wicked looking aircraft in my opinion. It all goes back to when i was a kid and used to go to the Finningley airshows with my uncle. I always got the RAF yearbook , and being in the late 70's and still in the grip of the cold war ,there was usually a section in there on the warsaw pact arsenal of aircraft. These always seemed so dramatic and mysterious and thats where my taste for russian stuff began. Of course they all seemed so exotic and different from the western aircraft we saw in the airfix catalogue , and my favourite was the very cool looking Tu22 blinder. cheers tony

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
great work so far! Your thread will defitenly be resourceful when I start building mine.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A cracking rebuild Tony.

It'll look great when completed.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well, ive been otherwise occupied for the last week or two and have only just got back in the shed. Heres the latest installment of fill,sand ,fill!! The wings were fitted weeks ago but i just couldnt live with the incorrect wing to fuselage shape , so it was out with the heavy machinery again! The problem is the kit has a fillet where the wing joins the fuse , but the real thing doesnt, so i had to file away as much of the fillet as i dare and try and build the wing up slightly to create a better looking join. Files ,sanding sticks ,blocks etc. were all used to get the fillet removed , quite tricky without wearing through the plastic (which i did a little bit DOH!!!) Then its filler and sand ,repeat etc.Anyhoo , its about right now , just needing a bit of panel line rescribing on the wing joints ,and the canopy and nose cone are on too so its looking more and more like a blinder.Next job is white primer then alclad !!Heres the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 45478

View attachment 45479

View attachment 45480

P1100579 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100580 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100581 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

D

dubster72

More work on this Tony? I thought you'd cracked it, but clearly this is one of those ones where each problem solved leads to another!

It looks like you're finally in the home stretch now, that's going to be one mean-looking aircraft when you're finished!

Cheers

Patrick