Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Back again!
Been doing bits here and bits there. Yesterday saw me start on the first raised section of the decks house.
First job; remove the sticky out bits that reach out over the main deck by the AA gun positions...
20230502_150202.jpg
Not wood planked but steel plate with holes in.
20230503_161923.jpg

20230503_161927.jpg
A bit of a clean up and they will do.
I confess the support ribs on the bottom.... They are left off. The parts were just tiny and the instructions very confusing as to which went where.
To others with this kit in the stash, I recommend that you just sand the planking detail away and glue the steel plate thing on top. But mounting a 0.25mm thick PE part that is quite "bendy" at the thin bit is a pain. Then Mount the new edge rail to that...
Today I learned three things.
I need some new CA and fine applicator ( On the way).
I can seriously do with a Clear view/Optivisor/trade name here jobbie. Or new glasses. lol.
Better light.

The other thing I got done today was one of the radar/rangefinder thinggies.
20230503_161854.jpg

20230503_161915.jpg
Radar cage is the kit one. The Eduard one was in too many parts... the kit one is two parts! Rails ladders and the flange thing is Eduard. Glue marks are al my own work. lol.
I think I need to wait befor continuing until the new, thinner CA turnes up.

Attachments

• 20230503_161840.jpg
    20230503_161840.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good job Ian, off to a good steady start. Remember too not bite your nails down to the bone lol

As you know I have this in the stash. So with your permission I am going to copy and print a lot of your terrific work to put with the kit. Your fight with the big ed pe set is giving me the jitters as I have the set as well lol

What pe applicator have you invested in, if you do not mind me asking?

Bob

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Heck of a job on the etch, Boss!!! Love the radar array and the steps. Better you than me thought, Ian...

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You are doing a great job with the pe. It is often a real improvement and worth the effort but you do have to accept that sometimes it adds nothing to the kit parts. Just as you found with the wheel on the capstan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good job Ian, off to a good steady start. Remember too not bite your nails down to the bone lol

As you know I have this in the stash. So with your permission I am going to copy and print a lot of your terrific work to put with the kit. Your fight with the big ed pe set is giving me the jitters as I have the set as well lol

What pe applicator have you invested in, if you do not mind me asking?

Bob
I will try find all the pit falls for you. Lol.

Heck of a job on the etch, Boss!!! Love the radar array and the steps. Better you than me thought, Ian...

Prost
Allen
Thank you sir.

Looking very good Ian, you either love or hate the PE :smiling3:
Thank you and yes. Hate fighting it but when it works...

A great start,so far so good.

Nice work with that PE Ian

You are doing a great job with the pe. It is often a real improvement and worth the effort but you do have to accept that sometimes it adds nothing to the kit parts. Just as you found with the wheel on the capstan.

Ian, the bling work looks superb.

DITTO to what paul said very nice work Ian
chrisb
Thank you guys.

So that's what multi quote does.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ian .
Very nice , esp that PE ! Anything needing one than one bend is frightening !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having spent 3hours yesterday finishing the last five of the seven searchlights. and building 90% of the second of four radar turrets, I think I need a break. I have ordered some magnifier thingies. Even with my extra strong "reading glasses" my eyes are done in!
So until they arrive its big bits, maybe a bit of painting,.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Having spent 3hours yesterday finishing the last five of the seven searchlights. and building 90% of the second of four radar turrets, I think I need a break. I have ordered some magnifier thingies. Even with my extra strong "reading glasses" my eyes are done in!
So until they arrive its big bits, maybe a bit of painting,.
YES Ian with these small bits you need some good magnificers as it was bad enough on my tiger at 1/72 scale let alone the scale you are workin in an rememeber you only get one pair of eyes so go easy on them as im ok now after havin a new lence fitted in me eye but you cant be to carefull when you get eyestrain give it a rest
atb
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So any way... LOL
I had an hour or two...
(SWMBO is on USA time so her hours are a bit "flexible" She is on call for a client in Cleveland Ohio. A long story... She should have been over there but they messed up her work permit. So she got turned around at Cleveland Airport and after aloooong wait got put back on a plane to Denmark. Left the house 6AM Sunday Drove her to the airport. Monday night at quarter past midnight, I picked her up at Copenhagen Airport and we got home at about 2am... She was rather tiered and a bit cranky. lol)
Anyway. My 10 days of doing what ever I want are restricted lol.

20230511_165856.jpg
Avoided the PE as much as I could. I got Radar IV plastic bits done, plus one bit of PE which is at the top of the mast. I also got the two radar I dome thingies built up. No PE Yeah!
The two Catapult things are done and that was one bit of PE on each one. I dont mind PE when it is of a size you can see!
Of the two levels of the super strucktures, the top part is from Yesterday. The larger bottom part today. Strange, this was in two parts. The flat rear part being separate from the walls. What ever, The Port holes got drilled and straightened: I always drill them. the mould cant do the portholes on diagonal surfaces. so they are always moulded in the same angle as the parallel ways. I digress.
The PE deck part that was in with the wood decks from Art Wox fit really well. They are held down with thin CA applied with the Rats tail Bob asked about them I think.
They are just a stretched Polyethylene tube stretched out to make them thinner. I normally make my own buy am out of tube. The ones you can buy are rather long.
Just leave them on and when the tip dries, you can just cut it of.
Cheers and thanks for dropping by.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
So any way... LOL
I had an hour or two...
(SWMBO is on USA time so her hours are a bit "flexible" She is on call for a client in Cleveland Ohio. A long story... She should have been over there but they messed up her work permit. So she got turned around at Cleveland Airport and after aloooong wait got put back on a plane to Denmark. Left the house 6AM Sunday Drove her to the airport. Monday night at quarter past midnight, I picked her up at Copenhagen Airport and we got home at about 2am... She was rather tiered and a bit cranky. lol)
Anyway. My 10 days of doing what ever I want are restricted lol.

View attachment 481342
Avoided the PE as much as I could. I got Radar IV plastic bits done, plus one bit of PE which is at the top of the mast. I also got the two radar I dome thingies built up. No PE Yeah!
The two Catapult things are done and that was one bit of PE on each one. I dont mind PE when it is of a size you can see!
Of the two levels of the super strucktures, the top part is from Yesterday. The larger bottom part today. Strange, this was in two parts. The flat rear part being separate from the walls. What ever, The Port holes got drilled and straightened: I always drill them. the mould cant do the portholes on diagonal surfaces. so they are always moulded in the same angle as the parallel ways. I digress.
The PE deck part that was in with the wood decks from Art Wox fit really well. They are held down with thin CA applied with the Rats tail Bob asked about them I think.
They are just a stretched Polyethylene tube stretched out to make them thinner. I normally make my own buy am out of tube. The ones you can buy are rather long.
Just leave them on and when the tip dries, you can just cut it of.
Cheers and thanks for dropping by.
Love the work Ian, how's your nerves after the PE battle lol. It was me asking about the rats tail. The thanks for the info.

Can understand your better half being cranky!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Love the work Ian, how's your nerves after the PE battle lol. It was me asking about the rats tail. The thanks for the
Not to bad. The air was blue. A bit. Have to be careful though Carina's office is next door. Can't be going full Joe Pesci while she is talking to clients lol.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Glad to hear the deck is good, ive been looking at the artwox one for missouri its not cheap but its the only one i can find for it and its got to come all the way from down under.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Glad to hear the deck is good, ive been looking at the artwox one for missouri its not cheap but its the only one i can find for it and its got to come all the way from down under.
Snap, I have a artwox deck on the way from Aussie, nothing local.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Learn to swear either in Japanese or sign language!!
I can swear in six languages!
I got my deck from a shop in Sweden.
Snap, I have a artwox deck on the way from Aussie, nothing local.
My Yamato deck bought in Poland, had to be ordered in from the far east.