Bismarck. Trumpeter 1/200.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking very good , only just caught up with this build and watching with interest as I will be having a stab at my first ship soon ( only a little 1/500 so nowhere near the detail here ! ) Have fun ..........

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Ian she lookin very good an should be a cracker of a model when finished very well done so far
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The good lady was bogged down with work today so it was a visit to the cave for me. Oh Shucks! :tears-of-joy:
Bismarcks bottom was looking fine (:flushed::surprised:) So I made a start above the water line.
So far the long center bit that's supposed to look like a smaller ship is all that is done so far. When I feel it safe to mask off I'll do the false 'bow and stern', then the white bits..
So not wanting to touch the hull for a while, I mixed up some KM01 Hellgrau 50. and had at it. Got almost all the bits done. Need to do the two cranes and three deck strucktures.
Nuff waffle here are some piccies.
20230625_155716.jpg
Main guns need the tops painting. KM05 or 6, one or the other...06 I think...
20230625_155733.jpg
Bits of Bismark all over the shop. At least it is going the right way now.
20230625_155737.jpg20230625_155749.jpg20230625_155757.jpg
Need to get the Alclad out for the funnel top and the screws. White Aluminium for the first and brass for the ships screws.

Time for a well earned cup of coffee.

Comments welcome as always.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Ian at least your ship wont take as long as mine to buid lol
chrisb ps am enjoyin the build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Ian at least your ship wont take as long as mine to buid lol
Maybe not four years but somehow I tend to slow right down when I get to the rigging. The last one took just over a year I think but I did put her aside for over half of tht time.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well another day hotter than I can be bothered with. Worst heat there is. Cloudy and humid. yuk I hate that. So I hid in my cave which is actually quite cool.
Started the day with getting the last of the houses painted and then the steel decks. A few touch ups needed due to the shakes!
The last of the wooden decks got put on.
Then after the thunder I went back in and started to pile things up...Oh and repaint the main and secondaries as I painted the barrels the colour! and stopped the roof colour to high up.
20230626_160153.jpg
I had better put some glass in the windows soon befor there is to much in the way...
20230626_160208.jpg
The huge funnel and the aircraft hangar are jut placed the rest is stuck down!
20230626_160231.jpg20230626_160249.jpg
One of the 'better' whoopsies.
20230626_160432.jpg
Missed the steel deck by the tower in the center. I'll paint that i tomorrow...along with the walkways around the top of both towers! Damn and blast!
20230626_160534.jpg
Blast bags need a splash of paint. Common research says white,... I seem to have overlooked the fact that I will need to paint to red banners and hagenkrus on the decks fore and aft! Not a thing I want to c*ck up painting them onto a wooden deck. I guess I can paint them out with grey if I do make a hash of them and say it was the next day.
Bismarck tried on more party frocks than my Ex before going to a party!
I have settled for 21 may '41

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It was the morning. When she left at 20:00 the remainder of the Baltic camouflage was painted over along with the aerial recognition markings, the red banners fore and aft.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I believe the sw***tikas were covered with tarpaulin

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Painted out according to the book. (Are we not allowed to write swastikas?
Hi Ian my choice

According to the superb book battleship Bismarck by Garzke, Dulin and Jurans. They were painted over or tarpaulin was used, no proof either way?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just a thought ( I do have them )

A tarpaulin would have been easy to just remove as Bismarck sailed into seas patroled by German aircraft??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Any how...
Hands up all those that know that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realise that you have, with 99% certainty thrown the decal sheet (lol it was tiny) away.
I was going to decal the Ardo's and put some markings on them...Hmm apparently not.
Started to mask the hull for the stripes instead.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work Ian.
If it is of any help, there is a picture of the wreck of the Bismarck which faintly shows the swastika still painted on the deck. Nerd hat removed!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Erm... you have seen how big that tarpaulin would have been. Easy to remove.... meh. lol
Found some very good photos of the Bismarck wreck on the Hood association site. There appears to be evidence of grey paint, so looks like they were painted over. Strange that the excellent Bismarck book which took over 50 yrs of research mentions tarpaulin?

Teaches me for poking my nose in!