Diary of a Madman. Yamaha M1 2009 detail build

F

funkyrimpler

And so it begins. Thanks to my recent separation from the missus ive been able to reclaim the spare room and turn it into a mess..just how i like to work!

The project is a super detail build of Valentino Rossis' 2009 Yamaha YZR M1 world championship bike. This is my first time using upgrade parts and i want to make this my ultimate build as ive been in training for this one by using PE on earlier models and gaining more experience and knowledge from you modelling gurus.

Heres a pic showing most of the parts!

View attachment 53800

P7120002.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

some additional pics here.

Ive snipped off the original plastic air valves from the wheels and drilled 0.55m holes to accept the Top Studio upgraded metal air valves. Ive also sanded the tiny molding seams the line the inside of the wheels and spokes..very time consuming..i dont know if these lines would even be visible but i intend to start as i mean to go on.

The photos of the resin parts show where i have become a Jedi Master in the art of drilling pin vise holes! Theres about 15 0.5mm holes on the central resin part alone. I will be painting these semi black and covering with carbon decals. The tiny holes are to accept electrical connectors which will be a challenge as the connecting wires are 0.3mm and im also going to be using shrink tube where the wires enter the connectors. Ive never used shrink tube before so im stabbing in the dark. I just hope that the application of heat wont destroy the decals, so i'll try different heating methods on spare parts that applied carbon fibre to.

I hope you find the pictures that i intend to add of interest and any fellow bike builders may learn from my inevitable disasters!

View attachment 53801

View attachment 53802

View attachment 53803

View attachment 53804

View attachment 53805

P7120006.jpg

P7120001.jpg

P7120003.jpg

P7120004.jpg

P7120005.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

the site just froze, so i'll rewrite this post!

Heres a few close ups of my progress. Ive prepped and painted the swingarm and added some very fine PE chain adjusters. I drilled out the original Tamiya molded screws that are in the rear of each swingarm leg with a 0.65 drill bit and inserted a short length of soldering wire instead. Onto the end of each piece i glue a PE washer and nut (slightly smaller than fairy dust).

I dont know how well these tiny parts will hold up when i begin fitting the sub assemblies together, time will tell.

I'll see if i can upload the pictures..if i do great, if not then the sites crashed again!View attachment 51218View attachment 51219View attachment 51220

View attachment 53814

View attachment 53815

View attachment 53816

P7130016.jpg

P7130018.jpg

P7130009.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking like a good start.

Just remember lots of light and plenty of pauses.

Ian M

K

Keith9657

How can you not read a thread entitled 'Diary of a Madman'! Fantastic. Hats off to you on the PE work too!

Keith

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Looking like a good start. Just remember lots of light and plenty of pauses.

Ian M
hahaha...ive been to anti natal classes to sort my breathing regime out!

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few of the handlebar grips.

the clutch side has a resin part to accept a cable from the wheels sensor. This is a single molded part so i had to cut it in half very carefully so that i could glue it to the handlebars. Luckily, it didnt splinter and i didnt have bits pinging off into oblivion. I drilled a 0.3mm hole to accept a tiny wire but on the opposite side i drilled a shallow 0.6mm recess because i noticed on the real bike that the round barrel 'adjuster' is hollow.

On the throttle side, ive snipped off the original 2 locating pins that normally accept Tamiya's thin vinyl tubing, sanded the surface (1500 then 2500) and carefully drilled 2 small holes. One has to be very careful drilling these holes as its so easy to unintentionally drill at an angle through the part.

These holes are to accept the upgrade throttle cable separators. I did a couple of trials holes on some scrap pieces to ensure that i had the correct and a snug fit. I wont be able to do any more work tomorrow, but touch wood, i should be able to do some painting in a couple of days.

I have assembled my compartment box and have got various parts organised for painting. I'll only be painting black parts, either in prep for alclad, or semi black parts such as the handlebars, or for parts that will be carbon fibred.

View attachment 53825

View attachment 53826

View attachment 53827

P7130019.jpg

P7130020.jpg

P7130022.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
May I ask, how do you manage or even see all the small parts...
Mate, im wearing one of those magnifyer headsets with the torch on top!!! I look like the serial killer from Silence of the Lambs....I wondered why the postie ran away screaming when i opened the door in my pants!

T

treyzx10r

This is looking great! I'm getting the bike itch back just watching! Looking forward to the next update Funky!

F

funkyrimpler

Ok, so heres a few detailed pictures of the work in progress.

The resin clutch has been painted alclad chrome and 1mm square pieces of masking tape added so that i can add clear red. This is then painted using the finest of brushes. a rubber surround is glued on and then some tiny bolt heads. before fitting to the engine i'll add more bolt heads to the clutch cover itself and also 3 decals to the black rubber ring around the clutch plate. These will be fitted once ive moutned the engine to frame, purely to minimise handling damage.

View attachment 53933

View attachment 53934

View attachment 53935

View attachment 53936

View attachment 53937

View attachment 53938

P7150028.jpg

P7150029.jpg

P7150030.jpg

P7150031.jpg

P7150033.jpg

P7150034.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Next up:

a detailed pic of some PE work for the throttle cable assembly. First i removed and sanded the prongs from the Tamiya part, then drilled a small hole into either end of the plastic part. Threading the PE washer, then the 2 detailed plates and finally the top bolt onto 0.6mm soldering wire, i glued them carefully into postion using gator glue. The excess was removed with a damp brush and allowed to dry. I cut the soldering wire from behind the part leaving about 4mm as a dowel to screw into the hole. Once this was set i repeated on the other side:another 4 PE pieces. This was very fiddly as you can imagine!

The next pictures are of radiator parts. I used alclad dull aluminium for the main frame of the radiator and alclad polished aluminium for the pipe work and welding. Im going to repaint the filler cap as the finish isnt bright enough due to the black undercoat being uneven.

View attachment 53939

View attachment 53940

View attachment 53941

PA040007.jpg

PA040008.jpg

PA040009.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Bottom of fork leg masked prior to spraying semi black, plus a side view showing some of the PE engine detailing. Ive used a PE strap around the oil filter. I removed the tiny kink in the strap by rolling the part carefully in my hand. To secure the strap i folded 2 miniscule tabs over then applied a small amount of glue underneath before sliding the strap down to the base of the filter:

View attachment 53942

View attachment 53943

View attachment 53944

View attachment 53945

PA040010.jpg

PA040027.jpg

PA040030.jpg

PA040032.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Finally in this installment!......

Some close ups of more electrical boxes. These were painted blue, then the black base and straps hand painted afterwards. Ive also included a pic of one of the multi-pin boxes in red with the plugs painted in matt black. These will eventually be connected to wiring. Also theres a pic of one of the water bottles, painted in semi white with semi a black cap. When mounted, i'll make a short strap that will sit around the bottle inside the inner cowl.

View attachment 53951

View attachment 53952

View attachment 53953

View attachment 53954

View attachment 53955

View attachment 53956

P7160002.jpg

P7160008.jpg

P7160004.jpg

P7160005.jpg

P7160006.jpg

P7160007.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

i forgot to mention that on the radiator hoses i'll be adding PE jubilee clips. The fork legs have the semi black painted on them. i didnt bother painting to the tops as these side pieces will be covered by the front fender. Ive also trimmed/sanded off the molded nuts that secure the brake calipers. These will be replaced with upgraded metal parts.

F

funkyrimpler

okay lets talk about the radiator. i finished painting this morning- alclad dull aluminium on the outer frame parts and dark aluminium on the fins (which you cant even see because i fitted mesh over the top...oh well.) i had the option of using Tamiya radiator mesh as it comes with the fork upgrade, but i opted for Top Studio's version as it is far superior and the wire on the front is 3 dimensional.

I also weathered the rear of the lower lower radiator slightly with a black wash. On the reference pics, i noticed that the lower rad had heat marks so i airbrushed few wisps of clear orange to simulate heat from the exhaust.

The biggest nightmare was fitting the jubilee clips. These took an age, a good couple of hours. The main problem was trying to fit some 0.3mm solder wire into the miniscule holes on the PE part. The wire was too large to fit and no amount of shaving and modifying would get them to fit. Handling the parts was also starting to scratch the paint....Coupled to the fact that the solder is softer than butter and i was trying to hold the foil thin PE parts in place without breaking them as they moved around on the radiator hose was an absolute nightmare..then the batteries ran out on my Davey lamp! It was like trying to nail jelly to a custard, so in the interests of my mental health i gave up with the solder and cajoled the clips into place and left it at that.

Finally i added some PE bolts and the resin sensor. I repainted the filler black then lightly passed a coat of alclad chrome over it. To complete the radiator im going to add some horizontal support struts but this wont be today!! i need to calm down!

Hope you find this thread of interest if anyones following it!

View attachment 53984

View attachment 53985

View attachment 53986

View attachment 53987

PA050002WEB.jpg

PA050009WEB.jpg

PA050011WEB.jpg

PA050014-WEB.jpg