Diary of a Madman. Yamaha M1 2009 detail build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Would it be unreasonable to say Bloody Hell!!

Really nice work! I was thinking of having a go at a bike, but after seeing this, not so sure any more....

Simply fantastic.

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

thanks for your brilliant comments lads!

its great to know that you're following this thread and taking an interest. I'll be sure to keep the updates coming!

Without sounding like an Oscar acceptance speak, there's no way i could'nt have tackled this project without the wealth of information and advice i've gleaned from the forum and you guys here. I've learnt so much about technique, tools, equipment etc..In fact, i wouldn't have considered this project without this information and also from the inspiration i've got from looking at some of the amazing work that's posted on here. That simply the truth of it. A couple of months ago i did'nt even know what photoetch, never mind upgrade kits and the like!

Well, there's so much to do so i hope you keep following the soap opera!

Si

F

funkyrimpler

Exhausts Part 2

Here is the finished article. Ive added the muffler springs and brackets...you imagine the fun i had with these! i had to remove/reposition a couple of them because they didnt quite fit against the engine sump properly. I did umpteen trial fits but its easy to make mistakes when working at this scale. You might notice one of the brackets missing in one of the close ups. This was due to handling for the photos and just demonstrates how fragile these parts are. Im dreading assembling the thing...i think there may be so heartbreak down the road. One of the biggest problems with the muffler springs is ensuring that the brackets are correctly spaced as the springs ideally want to be held by tension alone...not easy, and securing with CA glue is a real pig and mares the paint finish. Yes, i also had so much fun rolling and fitting the PE strap around the exhaust can..not.

Im going to refit the missing bracket and also do a whisper of shading on the exhaust tip as i think its still a bit bright. Inside the silencer is a really cool mesh, just like the real bike. I dont know how well its photographed. Also conveying the actual colour of the exhaust is very difficult on camera.

ive also uploaded a pic of some of the assembled parts thus far, and a quick shot of the semi-completed brake calipers. I originally painted these gold, but i was fitting a resin brake hose and it snapped off..i was not a happy camper. I decided to remove the paint, refill the seams and repaint in alclad polished aluminium (which i should have done in the first place), as its near identical to the original bike.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

View attachment 54191

View attachment 54192

View attachment 54193

View attachment 54194

PA110064.jpg

PA110068.jpg

PA110074.jpg

PA110078.jpg

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
been awhile since i have been on the site and what can i say very nice work - love the detailing you have done a really nice job there

keep it up and look forward to seeing the rest as you progress

simon

M

mobear

gorgeous heat staining and the rest looking like metal fantastic

mobear

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few pics of some of the carbon parts ive recently made. the front instrument cluster took forever and is made of numerous pieces placed together. ive begun adding the dozen of so electrical plugs and connectors but have been having real problems with using shrink tube. if anyone has any advice on this im all ears. heating with a lighter isnt satisfactory as i only want a tiny piece of tube to join the wiring to the connector. shrink tube seems fine for stretching (up to a point) but at this scale it is simply too thick and snaps or glues itself together before reaching the correct diameter.

View attachment 54322

View attachment 54323

View attachment 54324

View attachment 54325

View attachment 54326

View attachment 54327

View attachment 54328

PA120082.jpg

PA120085.jpg

PA120089.jpg

PA120093.jpg

PA120094.jpg

PA120097.jpg

PA150104.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wowa! That carbon is the dogs what nots!

Shrink tube. Which type and size are you using. What size; length and diameter are you aiming at? Also where are they attaching.

The problem is that heat that shrink tube needs to work is not a friend of plastic kits. Electrical shrink tube needs a fair bit of heat, and if it has hot glue in it, the problem is even worse.

You can buy shrink tube from fishing tackle shops, its used in tying carp rigs. It comes in different sizes and thickness's.

You can try that. You might be able to shrink it with a joss stick. A nice small direct heat source.

Ian M

C

CDW

\ said:
Would it be unreasonable to say Bloody Hell!!
that's more reserved to what I wanted say ;)

just caught up with this and Christ, that's some detailing work in there matey.

F

funkyrimpler

View attachment 51755View attachment 51756View attachment 51757View attachment 51758View attachment 51759View attachment 51760

thanks for the advice Ian. im trying to use shrink tube to make a rubber connector between the resin electrical plugs and the wire, a sort of 'boot'. im also trying to stretch it over a series of very fine wires (0.3mm) as a sleeve, and also to give the appearance of a conduit between multiple connector. The type im using is black, about 2-3mm internal diameter with a very long serial number on the side and a marking which reads 125 (degrees) C. ive wasted pretty much the entire tube. also when heating it melts flat where it is being held, whether that be with pliers of fingers. ive tried heating with a lighter whereupon it crinkles and shrivels and also with steam which does nothing. Steam also destroys the paint on the part and cannot be controlled. Im too worries about wafting a soldering iron anywhere as the parts are so tiny...some less than 4mm in length. If you see the above part (which will become the instrument panel) you can see numerous drilled holes for different sizes plugs and connectors-these should give you an idea of the scale im working to. Not all the connectors require shrink tube but a problem ive encountered is that when i apply sufficient heat to shrink the tube it burns the wire...it actually catches fire! and/or it burns/melts the resin parts. The trouble is, theres only enough connectors to do the job-no spares, except for an additional strip of generic plugs. the special items in the kit are not duplicated. sadly, one of them has burnt badly, removing the paint and distorting the part. this happened in an instant...less than 1 second when the wire just went 'boom'!

I knew this wasnt going to be an easy project and as ive said, im dreading the assembly stage as the paint is already becoming damaged just from my already very gentle handling.

Note to everyone: sweat on fingertips destroys alclad like acid! im not even going to mention CA glue!

Im already stripping and repainting certain parts due to handling and theyve only been touched twice!

PS:

Paint doesnt adhere to resin properly as ive discovered. it can been simply rubbed of with a fingertip, or it just chips and flakes. If you look on one of my close ups you can see a few white spots on the part. This is from handling to take the photos for the site...

To say that im dreading putting this thing together is an understatement, and ive got a terrible feeling that assembling the model will also destroy it or make it look very second rate...in which case...in the bin she goes!

View attachment 54331

View attachment 54332

View attachment 54333

View attachment 54334

View attachment 54335

View attachment 54336

PA120083.jpg

PA120087.jpg

PA120091.jpg

PA120092.jpg

PA120095.jpg

PA120096.jpg

Last edited:
F

funkyrimpler

thanks for the feedback chaps! i havent even added the PE, wiring or dash display to these parts yet!

F

funkyrimpler

A brief update:

Ive havent had much time to devote to the model recently, but heres a few pics of some of the progress.

Theres various shots of other carbon parts, the instrument binnacle and other bits and bobs. the paint has rubbed off the instrument panel slightly due to handling, but this will be sorted before assembly, as will the slightly wonky strap buckle. ive also included a pic of the connectors so that you can get an idea of how tiny they are. these are very frustrating to handle and always results in paint scratches.

i dont know how well its photographed, but on the rear of the engine block is another electrical box, also covered in carbon fibre with various connectors and plugs fitted. there are several more to fit, and obviously these need to be wired (which im dreading!)

View attachment 54488

PA210002.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Looking great ,yes the resin bits can be fussy to get paint to stick. I use a self ecthing primer on the bigger bits. The small stuff I just touch up after assembly. The wiring harness on these can get frustrating as well ,when I did my Zxrr build I just took it one plug at a time and before you know it you're done. Eagerly awaiting the next update!