Diary of a Madman. Yamaha M1 2009 detail build

P

phalinmegob

your skill and precision are amazing,those tiny jubilee clips are fantastic

F

funkyrimpler

hey thanks mate..ive only been making models for a couple of months so it just goes to show that with the help of the advice on here from you guys and seeing the standards that the builders are achieving out there, that with practice, patience and perseverance anything is possible. its the desire to build something really special thats motivated me to really up my game on this build and learn so much more about building and push what i thought i could do. who knows, maybe this build will inspire some others to build a similar gp bike. god knows how long it takes to get builds up to competition standards...an engine that runs on methanol for a guess!

T

troysr20

Amazing work and detailing your doing! I would buy the video detailing this build.

F

funkyrimpler

Handlebars:

Ive added the throttle cable separators the top of the forks in metal. for some extra realism, ive used PE bolts (10 in total) on all the fastenings, some painted clear red or blue to simulate the anodised items on the actual bike. The only ones left to do are the fork adjusters which i'll leave until assembly as they are probably even more fragile than the others. Curiously, the Tammyia kit does not any provision for attaching the brake and clutch fluid lines so i drilled a 1mm hole into each reservoir with the intention of using a small piece of paper clip onto which i could slide the green tubing. This turned out to be quite problematic so i opted to simply slide the tubing into the hole, job done.

Finally, after adding the detailing wire around the handlebar grips i also decided to paint the square buttons on each side. There are probably 4 in all but i couldnt find any suitable reference pictures so these will have to do!

All thats needed is the final 'VR1' decal which i'll place during assembly.

View attachment 54004

View attachment 54005

View attachment 54006

View attachment 54007

PA060029.jpg

PA060027.jpg

PA060026.jpg

PA060025.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are going at this one big time. An amazing build and the detail is out of this world.

Ian M

K

Keith9657

\ said:
Mate, im wearing one of those magnifyer headsets with the torch on top!!! I look like the serial killer from Silence of the Lambs....I wondered why the postie ran away screaming when i opened the door in my pants!
You have a door in your pants??!

Keith

M

mobear

this bike is gonna be the bees knees,outstanding so far

mobear

F

funkyrimpler

Wheels and tyres.

okay, so here we go again viewers!

First of all i used a PE rear brake disc which called for the use of the original axle/mounting cylinder from the plastic part. To remove it meant destroying the Tamiya part.

I sprayed the centre of the PE disc plates semi black, added two small front spacer plates and glued the rear plastic part. The upgrade instructions also called for a small detailed spacer type plate but they didnt say on what side of the wheel this should be fitted so i took a chance and have glued behind the rear disc. im praying that this is the correct side as ive no way of knowing because im going to attempt to build the chain and sprocket set myself (on order from Japan), so have no way of trial fitting. This is a recurring theme with aftermarket instructions, theyre very sketchy at best and trying to juggle two sets and attempt to figure out the best procedure for painting and assembling is a nightmare..im just winging it, and i think thats how this build is going to go right down to the wire.

For the front wheels ive fitted the metal air valves. They went in a treat and are simply pressed into the holes i drilled. I added some clear clue to the valve cap and nut to give an anodised appearance. Im really pleased with the glossy finish on the wheels, probably the best black finish ive acheived since i began modelling. removing the centre seams is probably a bit OTT but it does enhance the overall appearance and make it look more like a real wheel and less like a model or a toy.

I was going to use PE discs, but to be honest, once theyre built i couldnt see the advantage over stock parts, so ive saved them for another project.

I used a compass cutter to creat the mask around the centre of the disc-this was sprayed metallic grey with the disc surface sprayed Tamiya Gun Metal. The centre spindle is semi black. For extra bling, i fixed the 6 retaining bolts in PE. I actually went to the trouble of sticking these on a piece of blu-tack attached to the pin vice and then spun them on some 1500 sandpaper to recreate the circular brushed effect of the original bike but they dont really photograph. Finally, i placed the central ring and 3 tiny bolts per wheel. As per the handlebars, i went for a bit of bling and painted these clear red.

For once, the decals on the wheels went on a treat, although fiddly i think these have come put pretty well and not half stuck to the wheel rim!

I had to walk away from it this morning though! i was starting to added carbon fibre decals (which i absolutely hate doing), and things werent going to plan, so after shouting and growling i went downstairs for a brew! I decided not to do anymore work today, but this hobby is so damn addictive..ive got a pile of washing up that wont do itself, no matter how long i leave it....:cry:

Hope youre enjoying keeping tabs on my progress so far!

View attachment 54046

View attachment 54047

View attachment 54048

PA070031.jpg

PA070033.jpg

PA070036.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Probably one of the most difficult areas to get the right look and you nailed it! The discs are spot on VERY nicely done Sir!

F

funkyrimpler

thanks trey, i appreciate your comments. Im really trying to bring my A game to this project!

PS, the wheels dont look that dusty in real life!!

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

\ said:
thanks trey, i appreciate your comments. Im really trying to bring my A game to this project!
You're doing it for sure! I'm getting the bike itch back just watching this excellent build !

F

funkyrimpler

i was in two minds about drilling out the holes in the rear disc but thought better of it because i didnt know if it would ruin my drill bits, and also sanding off the burr around the drill holes may cause more problems with the final finish. If i have a spare part in the future this is definitely something i'd like to try.

F

funkyrimpler

Exhausts Part 1

Ive finally assembled the exhaust. In these pics you can see that ive removed the original plastic moulded can and also sprayed alclad chrome over the pipework. Next i fitted the gas sensors. There are some recesses pre-molded into the pipes but these didnt fit. to be honest, i actually doubt if they are there for this purpose anyway. Afterwards i added some subtle heating marks to the pipes before masking off with thin strips of Tamiya paper to simulate the welds. I pre-painted some heat marks as they always have a degree of staining and bright chrome wouldnt have looked as realistic.

I'll be fitting the upgraded metal can and attached tiny PE brackets then completing final heating effects. After this, i'll attach the muffler springs.

View attachment 51588View attachment 51589View attachment 51590

View attachment 54173

View attachment 54174

View attachment 54175

PA080050.jpg

PA080053.jpg

PA080055.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Forks and rear shock.

Ive completed the sub assemblies using PE parts. The front wheel sensors use multiple PE plates laid on top of one another, which required lots of patience and gentle handling. Ive also used Tamiyas upgrade fork set which was very easy to assemble.

On the rear shock i used tamiyas upgraded spring and gas reservoir, but also added some additional PE bolt heads. I actually painted the centres of the two adjuster bolts gold and left the outer part in plain metal as per the real bike. I dont know if any of these parts will remain in place when come to put to bike together, i must admit, im dreading final assembly!

The Ohlins decals give the shock a nice finishing touch.

View attachment 51591View attachment 51592View attachment 51593View attachment 51594View attachment 51595View attachment 51596

View attachment 54176

View attachment 54177

View attachment 54178

View attachment 54179

View attachment 54180

View attachment 54181

PA070047.jpg

PA070049.jpg

PA070048.jpg

PA100057.jpg

PA100059.jpg

PA100060.jpg