Diary of a Madman. Yamaha M1 2009 detail build

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The more of this great build i see the more i think i should try a bike build Cracking work keep it up and keep the pictures comeing

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL Ian we think quite alike but not quite the same. Here is my take on your last post.

The more of this great build I see, the more I think I should never try a bike build. Cracking work keep it up and keep the pictures coming.

Ian M

M

m1ks

Not had much browsing time on the model forums recently but being a fan of bike models and updating my own post, i had a read through this one, it's looking very impressive, thumbs up.

Ian, have a bash yourself, like any model you can go as basic OOB or as crazy as you want, (if you think this is hectic theres a guy on another forum I use building a Tamiya 1/6 BMWR80 and words simply cannot explain the detail and anal retentitiveness in that one, it's utterly stunning, which reminds me I must check the progress on that one)

Bikes and cars though, with just a little detailing can make all the difference and the real beauty is you can model one after a personally known vehicle, unlike (typically), tanks and the like, (when was the last time you heard someone say, yes, i'm making this Tiger as a scale model of my own full size I use for commuting) :smiling3:

After typing this I realise yet again that i'd intended to come on here to order some Alclad polished alu for my NR frame and completely forgetten, right defintitely off to the shop now, must stop browsing threads........................

T

treyzx10r

A very difficult area to work with ,believe me I know. This area can make a bike build really pop and you're making that happen! Eagerly awaiting the next update!

F

funkyrimpler

after much waiting (and getting hit with exhorbitant customs charges) my chain set has finally arrived. i think this is going to be a real test of nerve, patience and anger management...i wont be starting this for a little while but as you can see, the parts are miniscule to say the least. The chain requires 150 pins to be placed into the 300 side plates, not taking into acount of course that i have to build the assembly tools, sprockets and such like...what have i let myself in for?!?!

If anyones done one of these then please lets have some advice! Still, once completed (if i get that far), it should look pretty killer..I'll keep you posted.

View attachment 54785

View attachment 54786

View attachment 54787

PA300028.jpg

PA300027.jpg

PA300029.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Engine Update:

After much grinding of molars ive nearly completed the confusion of wiring...its getting a bit annoying as handling the parts is wearing the paint off....anyway here's the progress so far.

Theres additional wiring to be done, but i wont do that until the engine is in the frame and the airbox goes on.

I have to do the pipework from the clutch slave, attach throttle cables and so on..i'll be glad when its done!

Touch ups will be done when the engine is mounted. The pics are in super macro under a very bright light.

Incidentally, i eventually decided to wrap the water pump pipe in thin foil. I'd already painted in alclad dull aluminium but saw that the real bike has heat wrapping. The original bike uses fibreglass bandage but the foil gives a pretty good representation. I textured the foil by impressing a file into it, then i did a light black wash. Its quite dull in real life although it still looks a bit a shiny under the intense light.

Im going to leave the engine for a few days to allow the adhesives to harden and my blood pressure to return to safe levels.

View attachment 54789

View attachment 54790

View attachment 54791

View attachment 54792

PA300030.jpg

PA300031.jpg

PA300034.jpg

PA300033.jpg

Last edited:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
well you certainly have done some fantastic work on this build - looks totaly amazing, look forward to seeing more good luck with the chain building

F

funkyrimpler

thanks simontie...im 100% certain that i'll need it. ive taken the precaution of booking myself in for counselling next week.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't envy you the job of building that chain....dude seriously.

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

if you see a mushroom cloud on the horizon Ian, dont be alarmed!

P

Plastickitbasher

Good luck with that chain, a little and often maybe the way forward, plus a bottle of something for the nerves lol

F

funkyrimpler

Paddock Stands

Completed work on a set of Top Studio racing stands for the M1.

These are made from resin and i cant say im too impressed with the fit of the parts..they were all very twisted and covered with imperfections. i actually had to cut through the rear stand and reposition it as it was so twisted..i wouldnt recommend them, although the final finish is acceptable.

I sprayed a base of gloss black then a couple of mist coats of Alclad Chrome (which is already starting to wear from handling!! what the hell??)....

The kit comes with a set of clear plastic wheels of similar quality to the original Tamiya items. I sprayed these with clear blue and painted the outside centres in titan silver...they look pretty good. The bright light exposes a few surface imperfections but thats only under the most critical scrutiny...

All in all im pleased with them and i think they'll the show the bike off nicely when its completed...hopefully sometime before i retire!

View attachment 54898

View attachment 54899

View attachment 54900

View attachment 54901

PB010035.jpg

PB020039.jpg

PB020040.jpg

PB020041.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

Heres a couple of quick shots of the nearly completed airbox.

I painted the entire part in glass black and then added carbon fibre decalling (which took forever and was competed over the course of a few weeks).

I had various problems with the silver paint wearing off as per the usual MO with Alclad, so tonight i repainted it...Its not as nice a finish as the original but it certainly looks acceptable. ive added some PE details. There are several electrical connectors to be fitted prior to assembly in addition to several PE clips and the final attachment of some hoses...All in look though, the airbox looks pretty cool.

View attachment 54902

PB020038.jpg

T

treyzx10r

I hated those little wheels on the paddock stands ! You did a real sharp job on them!

F

funkyrimpler

the solder lines got my goat. i also added some PE bolt heads to the rear paddock stand but these havent photographed too well as they are in shadow.