Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now you’ve got me trying to work out which film the still is from John……
No Tim, neither have I , at first when looking at the thumb nail I thought the guy on the left was Captain M from Dad's Army .

Just had a check on that photo, nothing other than it was from a photo syndicate.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I recognise a couple of the actors, but can’t remember their names. Looks like it might be depicting Victorian America (hence the quill). Quite possibly one of the Basil Rathbone era Sherlock Holmes films?

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I recognise a couple of the actors, but can’t remember their names. Looks like it might be depicting Victorian America (hence the quill). Quite possibly one of the Basil Rathbone era Sherlock Holmes films?
Good thinking, the quill pen sets the age well .

the quill pen was replaced by the metal nibs by the 19th century. throughout the early 19th century, the usage of the quill pen faded and the quality of metal nibs increased. ballpoint pens also made their mark in the late 19th century, but their patents were not exploited commercially.14 mar 2022
https://en.m.wikiversity.org › wik
Your turn ;)
history of the pen - wikiversity ity

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funny that pen knives stayed in use a lot longer though John…..oh, and quills from the other wing (to that image) were cheaper because they curled into your face and were irritating when in use…..can’t find the image though. It’s royalty free so turns up everywhere.

• Love
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all the great and very funny posts boys. They all keeps me going...

I've started on the beach defences.

I found some thin twigs in the garden. Glued and then bound with sewing thread.

Most of these had Teller Mines fastened to them, so when the L.C.'s ran up the long submerged poles, they came into contact with the mines.......

Omaha Beach 014.jpg

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've started the base.
I've found some bits of polystyrene, so I've stuck them together and dug out a hole for the L.C.

I've also sprinkled me some nice red building sand. Just the right colour for the beach at 'Dog Green'

The gap between the bands of sand is for a section of deep water which unexpectedly were left behind by the receding tide. These, sometimes being over six feet deep, caught out many a soldier who, when trying to run up the beach in what they thought was shallow water, drowned in them.

P1350206.JPG

The landing craft loosely dug in placed.
P1350208.JPG

P1350209.JPG

I've dropped a slight bollock and positioned the L.C. too close to the bottom of the base. This left me too little room for the beach, so I shifted the vessel back a tad and shoved a bit of scrap polystyrene in the hole in front of the ramp.
P1350210.JPG

P1350211.JPG

I had, what I like to call 'A Happy Accident' when sprinkling on the sand. It left a delightful pitted finish to the beach surface
P1350212.JPG

The basics are laid down.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Glad you approve thus far.

Jim, good observation!
It will have a piece of 1/4" plywood stuck to the underside. As the poly' is light, this should be thick enough to support the base. It might still crack at the joints. If it does, I'll put in an extra wave to hide it.....

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Excellent progress on the beach 570......looks like you've been "plugging" away at it!! :tongue-out3: :smiling2: :thumb2: Interesting comment on the mines at the end of the beach obstacles....was unaware of that important historical fact.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice 570, and good thinking to save the day with pulling the LC back .Always a heart stopping moment when you suddenly realise what's happened .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
To Dave. I'm scanning the horizon for something suitable....and as you are well aware, I'm a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Club', so of course the kit has to encompass my price range. ;)

Ron

Great scratchin' as always Ron! As you ain't posted results for your horizon scan, I presume you ain't managed to find anythin' for a tanner ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, Rick, John and Dave. It's taken me around four months to reply to your posts! I'm really sorry.
Anyway, thank you for your comments.

Dave, Just shows how old is my response to the above member messages, that amongst other things, I have entered and completed your excellent G.B.!

I need to finish off this and too many other stalled builds, double quick........Spring is here.

I have now made all the beach obstacles I require. There were others on Omaha, but these will suffice. The 'Ramps' are bits nicked from the wife's flower stuff and some very simple and basic 'Czech Hedgehogs' made from balsa strip. I don't usually use balsa, but as these will be painted and weathered, the too heavy grain won't show. Thus, they will hopefully have a steel look.

I will add the Teller mines to the ramps later.

Small update...

P1360080.JPG

P1360081.JPG

Back to the beach work next.
Thanks for looking in and again, sorry for the huge delay in replying to you good people and the ridiculous gap between build updates.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew.

453, 'tis lil' old me!

Update....

I've made a start on the waves. The sea state was moderate on the 6th June. The big storms arrived a few days later.

I found some knackered tile grout in the shed. As you can see, way too lumpy to be of any real use, but it will do for the initial forming of the waves.

The tape measure is weighing down the front end of the L.C., so it won't lift whilst the grout goes off.
P1360089.JPG

P1360090.JPG

P1360091.JPG

Very rough and messy work at the minute, I just want to lay the waves down. Hopefully all will be well at the end..........

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must be an old tape 570,see it has 8 feet on the side .
That old tile grout looks good , can imagine that as sea .