He 162 A-2 Revell 1/32 completed !

T

treyzx10r

Steve ,Patrick , Paul thanks guys!

Small update ,used some water based glue to place the gear doors and nose cone back on temporarily for painting. Should start painting soon.

B

Bunkerbarge

If the surface painting is half as good as the internal detail and the engine this is going to be a cracking model! Great job Trey, that engine detail and finishing looks really effective and the cockpit is spot on.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Richard really appreciate that!

Not much progress ,got the RLM 76 on over a modest preshade. Found a few flaws that I missed and will have to wet sand them out and respray a few areas.

D

dubster72

Looking good Trey! For my reference, what colour is RLM 76? It looks quite like a pale grey to me?

N

noble

That looks amazing so far Trey the work you have put into that engine alone is a masterpiece mate beautiful work so far.

scott

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Trey. Just a question how are you going to balance the He 162 without a nose cone there's nowhere to put any weights?

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
what colour is RLM 76? It looks quite like a pale grey to me?
It's a blue/grey though much less blue than the RLM 65 it replaced on fighters.

It's one of the few colours that did show some variation from the standard, particularly late in the war.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Patrick & Scott !

Vaughan thanks and I was able to put the proper amount of lead just behind the seat,you can see it a few posts back.

Joe ,Ian thank you!

I went with a straight RLM71 and post shaded it with some very thinned RLM02 mixed with the 71 just to break it up. I'm hoping after a wash , filter & clear coat session it will darken up a bit,if not I'll just hit it with some pastels. While this copies the scheme in the instructions for 'White 1" its probably not very authentic,its fine for my shelf and I like the lines so I'm rolling with it.

Steve any input on color and scheme authenticity is most welcome. From what pics I've been able to find there seem to be 3 different lines between the top and bottom colors used ,all very confusing indeed.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There was an official scheme for the He 162, but as the at least FIVE different patterns and colours seen on those captured at Leck (including 'White 1' ) show it was by no means applied as a standard this late in the war.

Michael Ullmann reckons that 'White 1' was painted with upper surfaces in an over all RLM 81 and the instructions' high demarcation looks about right. The lower surfaces were RLM 76. The band around the front of the engine intake is reckoned to be yellow.

You've probably already seen this.

I've seen several people claiming that the earlier colours (70/71) were used on these aircraft. I have my doubts but you never know.

The official scheme was 81/82/76, promulgated in January 1945. The reason so many different versions are evident on the captured examples is probably the dispersion of manufacturing facilities and the painting of various component parts by several sub-contractors.

Here's the official scheme for what it's worth.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve ,I had'nt seen that photo before,nice to see a actual shot of 'White1'.

Finally able to squeeze in some bench time and had a epic a/b failure. Right in the finishing stages of a filter the a/b sneezed a big bunch of gobs on the tops surface. I had to go back and wet sand down then reapply some colors,the results are not as good as I would've liked but its better than it was.

D

dubster72

It's a PITA when the AB does that! But you've saved the day & she's looking great!

Having the nose off exposes that lovely gear detail :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

Beautiful, simply beautiful. This really is a cracking kit and you have done it proud.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks great Trey, especially the engine, despite your problems with the AB. I notice that the gun bay door is missing is this intentional?