HK Models 1/32 scale D. H. Mosquito

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Excellent detail, but the ejector pin marks will be a pain to sand down and fill, as they look to be numerous

The bulk of them inside the cockpit are not ejector pin marks but detail.   The Mossie was fitted with round wooden hard points to fit instruments and equipment to.  You can see the same detail in the Tamiya Mossie.

There are ejector pin marks in places, mosty 'proud' and easily sandable the only one found so far is the one I filled.  They are no worse than any decent kit, so far anyway and better, fewer than many.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Managed a couple of sessions over the weekend....

While the detail is excellent I am not sure how much of the cockpit will be visible particularly when viewed through the transparent nose.  So I decided to use plastic rod, card and lead wire to add some detail to the rear of the instrument panel and one of the cockp[it sides that looked a little stark.  So much for OOB!!!

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

I primed the cockpit with Stynylrex yellow primer and sprayed it with AKI RAF Aircraft Grey Green.  I also over sprayed in areas with the AGG lightened with yellow and very much thinned down.  This added a little tonal variation not that it shows on the pics.

IMG_1224.jpg

next I will be doing some detail painting before some weathering of the pit.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

excellent job mate, the scratching looks really good.

THinking about getting a HK models Do 335. 

How is this going together so far eg. good instructions, good engineering etc

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The engineering is superb and very innovative with good use of slide mold tech.  Fit is excellent, I have not sen any issues at all with the dry fits.

F

Fenlander

Nice detail addition behind the instruments.  Amazing what a difference a bit of wire can make.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The bulk of them inside the cockpit are not ejector pin marks but detail.   The Mossie was fitted with round wooden hard points to fit instruments and equipment to.  You can see the same detail in the Tamiya Mossie.

There are ejector pin marks in places, mosty 'proud' and easily sandable the only one found so far is the one I filled.  They are no worse than any decent kit, so far anyway and better, fewer than many.

That makes sense, that many ejector marks on one piece and the price of the kit would be very bad

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Al looks very nice. I look forward to the coming months of building.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been painting detail today and will gloss coat it prior to weathering. 

image.jpeg

I must also start putting together the seat harnesses.

image.jpeg

Coming together well so far but these seatbelts look complex !!!!  And fiddly. 

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
eager to see how these seatbelts shape up

These seatbelts are not shaping up.  

I am sure that if you can get them together they would be impressive. Indeed I have seen some pics of them and they are.  The problem is getting them built up.

One fabric part looks different to the instructions and would need cutting down to fit the pe but I did not get to try as the pe pinged off the tweezers somewhere never to be seen again.  

Another part had to sandwich a fabric end but after 30 mins of turning the air blue that was another part that went ping never to be seen again!!!  

I do not recommend these at all and I regret having further sets for the rest of my stash  

The Eduard set is now in the bin.  Great in theory but hopeless in practise.  Consequently I am turning to the kit pe.  

Prime first ..

image.jpeg

I will post when I have the cockpit a bit more advanced.  

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've not had any problems with the HGW belts apart from being really fiddly but that's the case with all belts. When completed they look very realistic.

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 10.22.40.png

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've used the HGW and RB Productions harnesses. They are both equally fiddly! I have a preference for the RB belts, I prefer the paper material, but they are both good looking, whichever you choose. They both take some work with the magnifier and tweezers :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

we all have our difficulties with stuff mate, and those seatbelts looked seriously fiddly, especially with those individual buckles. A reason why I am sticking with my normal eduard ones.....

Hope the PE ones turn out fine

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
getting on well with the cockpit....

I have the instrument panel decals to apply and the seatbelts to finish off by painting the buckles silver and fitting them.

I used AKI Dark Brown Wash, drybrushed with a light grey and in some limited places that would be metal, with aluminium.   AKI European Earth and Dark Earth pigments were brrushed on the cockpit floor to replicate dust and wear.  I will also need to apply a wash to the seat belts.

IMG_1231.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very sharp Barry. Those harnesses are a fiddle but they are worth the effort.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been progressing with the Airscale instrument panel decals.  They are small and fiddly, take a lot of time, but are very effective and worthwhile.

I bought, via Amazon, a cupwarmer to keep the decal water warm.  I boiled some water and placed it in a bowl on the cup warmer, allowed it to rest for 15 minutes while the boiled water cooled down and then the water is kept at just the right temperature by the cupwarmer. It is always a problem with long decalling sessions keeping the water warm and I am too lazy to keep changing the water when it cools.  You need a container that sits flat to the cupwarmer so there is a good surface to transfer heat.

here is the cupwarmer:

IMG_1235.jpg

and with my water bowl...

IMG_1234.jpg

Here is a pic of the instrument panel so far.  Hopefully I will finish it off tonight...

IMG_1236.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Barry. That cup warmer looks like it will come in really handy. 

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The cup warmer is a genius idea Barry. I've been changing the water every 15 minutes for years. I'm definitely getting one of those !

The IP looks good, well worth the effort.

Cheers

Steve