Honda RC211V'03 Sete Gibernau

T

treyzx10r

I just got this kit unexpectedly as a tip from a customer. I always enjoyed watching Sete and Rossi battling it out so maybe a Rossi of the same year will have to be next. I've got some upgrade kits on order so I ca'nt get too far into it until they arrive but will get the basics started,any way here is the basic kit layout

T

treyzx10r

I can already see that the frame and swing arm plating is not going to look scale any suggestions? I really hate to strip it off but if I have to I will ,here is a pic of the real one

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Trey,didn't Graham (Fenlander) do just that recently. Hopefully he can point you to his thread.

Steve

F

Fenlander

Have to say Trey that I strip any chrome plated plastic. Even if the frame was chrome, which it will not be, you cannot sort out seams and bits where you cut it off the sprues. Stripping the chrome is simple, just put it in a plastic box as small as it will just hold the plastic. Cover it with domestic bleach and the chrome will just dissolve. You can then spray the frame and any other bits the colour they should be. The frame is a straight silver and Tamiya Titanium Silver is a good colour, I used it on my Honda Blackbird. Use citadel Mithral silver for bright aluminium bits or Citadel Chain mail for steel colour. Citadel Bolt Gun Metal for Iron parts, not that there is any iron on this bike.

Or, if you are spraying and want to go that extra mile, use Alclad for the chrome over an enamel gloss black undercoat for any chrome like the exhausts. Alclad do other aluminium colours such as polished aluminium, dull aluminium and others. I was a bit reticent about using it at first but now I have the hang of it, it really is good to use. I have done a thread on my first time experience of Alclad and the Honda Blackbird was the first kit that I used it in anger, the Shelby Cobra the second.

It may appear to be a lot of faffing about but even with the cost of Alclad and the fact you have to use cellulose thinners to clean the airbrush (no need to thin the Alclad, it is like water) but it really is worth the effort.

T

treyzx10r

thanks again Graham ,I caught you're thread on the alclad very informative. I was hoping not to have to do the stripping bit again but it appears inevitable. I'm going to try some dullcoat on some scrap bits and see what happens. I do'nt have a local source for alclad do they sell it on line?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Trey, emodels.co.uk have the compleat range of Alclad II in stock. Been thinking of placing an order for some my self1

Johns shop has a limited range at the moment but I am sure he will build on it the way we are all going on about the stuff. (better be quick though John, seem like the stuff lasts for ages!!)

Ian M

M

m1ks

If you don't want to try Alclad just yet Humbrol Metalcote polished ally gives a nice shine and buffs after it's hardened, sprays the same as any enamel, check my Typhoon thread P2 for pics of the Typhoon undercoated in the stuff.

If you need shinier then Alclad's the only way.

i'd definitely strip the plastic, i never have liked the too shiny chrome plate on scale models.

I'd highly recommend watching sleepylafaels build videos on youtube, they're from, what looks to be, a Japanese TV show about model builders and building, the speech is all Japanese with no subs but the videos mainly speak for themselves, there are a couple of bike builds on there, (the Tamiya Desmo being one), and cars and planes, and ground forces stuff, in fact they're great for anyone building anything, shame we don't have something like it on Discovery here.

T

treyzx10r

thanks for all the helpful input!!! I went ahead and stripped the plating

here it is before

during the bleach soak

all the shiny stuff gone

T

treyzx10r

I've got the upgrade for the chain adjuster in route so the plastic bits had to go

before

after

T

treyzx10r

I got the frame assembly together

and after a few test sprays decided TS30 Tamiya silver leaf was spot on for the finish

thanks again for the help and suggestions I might try the alclad on the next build ,I've also found some 'liquid meta'l paint for the custom base/clear might give it a go

T

treyzx10r

I've gone as far as I can on the motor until the upgrade kit gets here (as it contains the new clutch assembly)I've inked the block and used metalizer and neon blue food coloring to temp treat the pipes

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks pretty darn good! Love the exhausts! Food colouring? OK thats a new one on me.

Nice one Trey!

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

first I spray the pipes with silver leaf followed by dullcoat.You need the talc in the dullcoat for the food coloring to cling to.Then I brush the food coloring on the areas needed and allow it to dry.After it drys you can rub it with a clean cloth to feather it.The I spray aluminum metalizer on paper allow it to dry then flake it off and grind it into a powder,then you can dry brush it onto the pipes where needed and buff it to the shine desired

F

Fenlander

The I spray aluminum metalizer on paper allow it to dry then flake it off and grind it into a powder,then you can dry brush it onto the pipes where needed and buff it to the shine desired
You know, I thought that is how you finished it :ohno: How on earth did you work that out???? It does look great though.

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
You know, I thought that is how you finished it :ohno: How on earth did you work that out???? It does look great though.
thanks Graham I have to give credit to my Wife it was her idea.She saw me struggling with spraying and suggested dyeing go figure.

T

treyzx10r

since I'm stalled until the upgrade kit arrives decided to tackle the body

T

treyzx10r

alas on to the dreaded rim pin stripes.For something that looks so easy these really are a pain,I'de rather slam my dangly bits in a rusty truck door than do these but it has to get done

well suffice it to say this is the good side ,best I could do with it

here is the progress so far

T

treyzx10r

continued working with the tires and added the heat 'blueing'on the tire edges,first application of blue then purple scripto pens

then I blended it down to the desired effect with a pencil erasor