A

adzam

erm, in answer to the question mate

my recognition is horendous !!

couldn`t start with summit a bit easier could you

loool

D

duncan

the "modellers`s" could be a Clutton creation...low wing version of "FRED" , next one a Mr Mulligan ? (wrong paint job I fear ):noidea:

Last edited:
W

Wowbagger

Oooh! Love Mr Mulligan myself! But nope, it aint one of them! :sorry:

And was there a low wing version of FRED?

D

duncan

Dont think there was a low wing Fred (what did F.R.E.D stand for) his first name was Eric , but its the kind of thing a modeller might do. Other one has a Stinson look :noidea:

Last edited:
W

Wowbagger

:welldone: Dunc'! Stinson SR9F Reliant. Your turn now.

FRED stood for Flying Runabout Experimental Design. See crummy pic'. Engines were variously Truimph 5T and Scott Squirrel motorcyle motors, converted Volkswagen and Lawrence L5 radial.

View attachment 6912

/monthly_2004_05/FRED.jpg.000a8f403a0fbdf3dc3c3c376f03b448.jpg

View attachment 11557

View attachment 12207

FRED.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Stinson SR.9 Reliant.

No correct answers yet on the low wing monoplane,here is another clue-

What else do you have in your garden ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Eric Clutton

A bit of info on Eric Clutton,schoolteacher who started with models like Sharkface flown with single channel,designed the Fred with a chap called Sherry who was a cartoonist,the idea was a modern version of the Flying Flea without the awful control system of same,got fed up with the attitudes of the British authorities towards the home built aircraft movement,shipped his family,his belongings and Fred to America and never looked back since,the Americans accepted his Fred without any bother,he now imports diesel fuel for those that like that type of engine over the pond.

A great character,I met him once he was down to earth and a genius as regards aircraft design and building,a definate case for :respect1: with a capital 'R'

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Low wing mono never had a cowl fitted,that is how it flew.

Now preserved in a museum in Yorkshire.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Interesting machine,the builder never had it inspected during the build,I believe it did make one test hop but the CAA grounded it,the next one he had registered as a microlight,the Ward Elf a great little machine.

I like these compact little homebuilds,they are really practical and can fit into a garage,a pity that unlike America such builders are treated like freaks,I bet the Gnome is a really airworthy machine.

Those interested can view her at Breighton airfield,no clues on the next one Wowbagger !

A

adzam

lol...gave it away

i`m still toiling and i have the answer !!

;)

W

Wowbagger

Look, these really hard ones have killed the thread, so what say we start again? But don't make them too difficult, okay? No obscure prototypes that never flew. :rolleyes:

If you guess right you get to ask one; if you don't have a pic you can use just ask the members to post one. If you know anything interesting about the aircraft then let us know.

Right, 'ere we go again:

View attachment 6931

/monthly_2004_05/Mystery.jpg.1698005b0d2cce9509d44cfb00edcc73.jpg

View attachment 11576

View attachment 12226

Mystery.jpg

Last edited:
A

adzam

could i hazard a wild guess as a spitfire , possibly MK XIV ?

W

Wowbagger

:welldone: Adz'! Dunno what mark without investigation but pretty late I'd say. RR Griffon engined judging by the ruddy great 5 bladed fan.

Your turn.

A

adzam

ooh ok doke

a nice easy one

guessplane.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.