How's your Aircraft Recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just to show I'm not all that mean' date=' here is an easier one to go on with.[/quote']*** Commonwealth Ceres,built from Wirraway airframe.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sorry, The Australian Transavia Airtruck , among other differences, is powered by a Continental IO- 540. While you're working on it have a think about this.
*** Emair Diablo.

K

Kiwi

Close enough, it's actually the prototype Murrayair MA-1

Built by Air New Zealand, modified from a Stearman with a P&W R.1340, increased wing area, all metal center section with enlarged fuel tank, greater wing spacing and hefty struts instead of flying and landing wires. Load capacity was doubled. Taken to Hawaii where a further 27 were built as the MA-1"Paymaster" powered by a R.1820. Production moved to Harlingen TX as the MA-1B "Diablo 1200', with an even bigger engine, 48 of which were built.

To put you out of your misery the other is the Waitomo Airtruck. Designed by Luigi Pellarini ,Two were built in New Zealand by Bennet Aviation, utilising surplus Harvard parts. Pellarini then took the design to Australia where it was refined into the Transavia Airtruck. Designed so that the fertiliser loader can drive between the booms to load the hopper, hence no joining tailplane.

I'll see if I can find something else.

Nev

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What do you make of this then?
*** Is it an Hawker Siddeley 748 ( Andover) with a very rearward c of g ? if not then it is probably a YS-11 ?

Just had a thought,they made a 748 for the military that used to kneel.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Close enough, it's actually the prototype Murrayair MA-1Built by Air New Zealand, modified from a Stearman with a P&W R.1340, increased wing area, all metal center section with enlarged fuel tank, greater wing spacing and hefty struts instead of flying and landing wires. Load capacity was doubled. Taken to Hawaii where a further 27 were built as the MA-1"Paymaster" powered by a R.1820. Production moved to Harlingen TX as the MA-1B "Diablo 1200', with an even bigger engine, 48 of which were built.

To put you out of your misery the other is the Waitomo Airtruck. Designed by Luigi Pellarini ,Two were built in New Zealand by Bennet Aviation, utilising surplus Harvard parts. Pellarini then took the design to Australia where it was refined into the Transavia Airtruck. Designed so that the fertiliser loader can drive between the booms to load the hopper, hence no joining tailplane.

I'll see if I can find something else.

Nev
*** Bennett that was the name that was eluding me,I knew that it had been built from Harvard bits and even remember seeing a photograph many years ago,I just could not get away from the Transavia connection,nice one Neville it taxed me I can tell you ! please dig out some more elusives,no matter how rare they are or were.

Was I right about the Commonwealth Ceres ? made from a Wirraway airframe.

K

Kiwi

#44 was bit of a leg pull. When I worked for Mt Cook Airline, the fin of the HS 748 was taller than the hangar doors. For overnight servicing we had a cut out to fit the fin but because of the tie rods acros the hangar they would only just fit. For bigger servicing we moved them right in and put the fin between the rods. This is how we did it, with a steel rig under the nose gear and a couple of hired forklifts. Got interesting the time one ran out of fuel and the hydraulic pressure slowly decayed!

View attachment 7168

/monthly_2004_11/cwj.jpg.e70dafa084df8f68706e37ce32f02a2d.jpg

View attachment 11863

View attachment 12463

cwj.jpg

A

adzam

amazing !!

i knew not one of these aircraft at all.

however i`m interested in what i`m seeing :smiling3:

keep `em coming

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes Neville,tax us to the limit on aircraft recognition,sometimes it is the ones taken at unusual angles that prove the most difficult.

Do you have an interest in agricultural aircraft ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
No military markings should rule the Shorts out.Nev
*** Could it be a Boeing design,they built a replica a while back of one of their early products ?

D

duncan

Tricky one the Aussie colour scheme pusher....is it the Alice Springs Regatta Amphibian. (used to be Piaggio, Nardi or Sea Bee before losing it`s hull in a rescue during the event):music_whi

Last edited:
D

duncan

The "non-Shorts" , is that National markings F , France or Farman ? If trans-Altlantic (fishing !) origins did A,B,C,D & E accompany F ? How about G as in Glenn Curtiss type for US Navy.:dontknow:

Last edited:
D

duncan

Barry`s "little beauty"...one of Mooney`s early types ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.