IDF M109 'Doher'

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Some more work done. First the inside of the turret...
20240210_102111_HDR.jpg
Grab handles added along with some more parts....
20240210_102127_HDR.jpg
Stareted work on the breech and the traversing handles....
20240210_102138_HDR.jpg
Soory it is blurred, but finally worked out where and how the breech parts (resin) fit onto the breech.
20240210_102232_HDR.jpg
I did forget or missed totally the tie downs, so here they are, this side has yet to be finished...
20240210_102158_HDR.jpg
And this side is finished except for paint and straps.
Cheers
Mike.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Mike very nice work my freind an very detailed you have put in brilliant
chrisb

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Nice work as usual :smiling3: Is the jig for drilling holes for the tie-downs, so you can superglue a bit of wire in?
Yes, I found some tie downs on a fret (in fact two lots) which has saved me going the wire route, so I drill the guide holes, and pop in a drop of c/a and then the tie down follows. I do have the etched ones from Aber but find I waste more than I use trying to bend them even on a jig. I must look into making a jig...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Mike now this may be a stupid question but on these tanks how did the makers make the eleetric wires go up from the hull to the turret as it traveresed ? eg. what type of conections ?
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Mike now this may be a stupid question but on these tanks how did the makers make the eleetric wires go up from the hull to the turret as it traveresed ? eg. what type of conections ?
chrisb
Probably a secret and if he tells you he'll have to kill you!!! Or at least get you to eat your greens!!!!!
Otherwise a good question neatly phrased!!!!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Christopher & Doug,
Poison letter on the way via my good mate Putin....
On these vehicles there was limited traverse (for the sailors among us - turning) So the electrics were on loose cables as you would in any vehicle. And it is the same with the hydraulic pipes, it was metal pipes around the upper and lower turret/hull and then pipes or cables to connect the the two.
Hope this helps, will have a couple of pics later today of the real vehicle and the model.
This reply will now self destruct in five sec ds..... Damn to late again Miss Moneypants.....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This reply will now self destruct in five sec ds..... Damn to late again Miss Moneypants...
(MIKE QOUTE)

:rolling: :thinking::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: oh mike you make me have a good laugh you are certainly a good comedeain :rolling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling: an its been more than 5 secs should i chuck my p/c out of the window ? lol:rolling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling:
thank god for you guys with a great sence of humor brilliant more
when you can sir
chrisb

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
on these tanks how did the makers make the eleetric wires go up from the hull to the turret as it traveresed ? eg. what type of conections ?
As Mike answered about the M109 already, I’ll give a more generic answer that applies to most tanks with fully traversing turrets: a coupling using slip rings at the bottom of the turret. This video shows it on a Centurion, with a bit of explanation (it starts at the relevant point):

At about 15:52, she also explains how power gets from the turret to devices in/on the commander’s cupola, which can rotate independently from the turret. It’s much less complicated, as you’ll see :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jakko thanks for postin that vid im a bit more clearer now on this subject cheers but a nice young lady showin whats what
chrisb

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
20240213_134030_HDR.jpg
This is from the Desert Eagle publication and is what I am trying to emulate.
20240213_174125_HDR.jpg
Gone is the 'ironing board cupboard', and now the bracket that will hold the new fire control computer, and where the box was there will now be a new electronics box. The open hose is actually waiting for the 'T' joint to be added, and the grab handles have been added to the roof.
20240213_134110_HDR.jpg
More work on the breech and the traverse controls with hydraulic pipes added underneath.
20240213_134054_HDR.jpg
The 'white' pipe is actually two hydraulic pipes wrapped in what looks to be 'gaffer' tape and held up with so I am told a 'jubilee' clip that is used originally to hold the mesh cover over the large air intake on the engine bulkhead.
And that is it for tonight, more later
Cheers
Mike