Italeri 1/72 Italian S-79 Sparviero

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have to keep changing to different types of model or I'd go nuts!

This is a great looking aircraft. Cob as you like, 'Pretty' or Distinctive. It all depends on your point of view.
Fast at the time, it did serious damage to British shipping in the Med. during the early stages of WW2.

P1260669.JPG

I've made a start and brushed on the first coat of Vallejo Model Air Sand Yellow. I haven't used a primer coat, and to be honest, I even forgot to clean the plastic....
P1260668.JPG

P1260670.JPG

I'm afraid I'm one of those 'Low Life's' who follows 'If it ain't seen, it don't get done', so because it will hardly be seen, I've kept the cockpit detail to a minimum.- strange configuration.
P1260671.JPG

P1260672.JPG

Off and running....

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Always fancied making one of these but that camo is impossible for me! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps. Great to have you along.

I've just been and emptied the swear box!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
was there enough for another kit?

....more than enough for one of those huge and crazy priced aircraft - and the gallons of paint for it!

Moving on....

Here's the gunners positions.

Crazy as a bunch of frogs!

From L. to R.. Rear cockpit, top rear facing, waist (One gun on a horizontal slide rail to reach either side of the aircraft) and finally, the belly.

P1260673.JPG

Thoroughly enjoying making this wonderful looking and unique aircraft.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Moving swiftly on...
Windows fitted and just one brushed coat needed of the Vallejo Sand. Waist gunner windows and main access door omitted.

P1260674.JPG

Nice tail wheel assembly. - And then it's all hidden!
P1260675.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Following this one closely mate as it’s a kit I’ve often looked at getting , as you say it’s a very interesting looking aircraft and for it’s purpose , very effective. I did get a 1/48 SMER kit of this aircraft years ago at Cosford but it was a proper dog so I shifted it on via eBay !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Following this one closely mate as it’s a kit I’ve often looked at getting , as you say it’s a very interesting looking aircraft and for it’s purpose , very effective. I did get a 1/48 SMER kit of this aircraft years ago at Cosford but it was a proper dog so I shifted it on via eBay !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

You get the hiccups while trying to post this Tony?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony, Tony and Tony. Dave and Jim.

Here's the gunner's positions glued in place. The gap in the top between the door and second bulkhead is for the top gunner. This 'platform' slides in after the fuselage halves are stuck together.
For a bit of interest, I've angled the waist gun so it sticks out of an opening. Just watch me snap it off!
P1260676.JPG

P1260679.JPG

Cheers and thanks for looking in.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim.
Greg. Nice to have some background to the aircraft. Thank you.

I've joined the fuselage halves together, fitted the top gunners 'Shelf', the horizontal stablizers and their struts. I've also brushed the nose section with a coat of Lt. grey.

I spy a little bit of filling....
P1260680.JPG

Plenty of daylight for the gunners. No wonder they complained about the lack of protection!
P1260685.JPG

P1260686.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Smaller than I thought it would be, but coming on a treat!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wtf? Wtf? Wtf?