Italeri 1/72 Italian S-79 Sparviero

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont know what happened there mate , must have been when john was having problems with the server!:smiling5:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ron slow down you're building this way too fast......I haven't finished counting the rivets in the cockpit and you've gone and joined the dammed fuselage halves together..........What's a body to do????:tongue-out3: Great to see you having so much fun with this one. I have not seen but one wartime picture of this bird and was immediately taken by it. As for that camo job.........good luck. Rick H.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great Ron , it’s definitely a kit I’m considering now , it looks a very nice build . Can’t wait to see the camo . Cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Cheers Rick.

Tony, it's a cracker. Perfect, first time fit. The wing root/ fuse. and the wing halves joints, which can all be a problem, were spot on, first time. I couldn't even fit a bee's wing between any of them!
Well recommended..... :thumb2:

Dave - Moving on rather rapidly!

I've set my mind to the camouflage application, and because it looks a very complicated pattern, I've decided to paint the wings separate to the fuselage. This, I've reasoned will give me a flat surface which I can lay on my cutting mat, thus making the painting a lot easier - hopefully!
As for the fuselage.....?

I've brush painted on the Vallejo sand and gull grey. Clever use of the wide band of gull grey on the leading edge and nose of the aircraft. It's a torpedo bomber, so when attacking shipping, all that can be see from ahead is grey.

Here's the one piece lower wing done, and the two top sections ready for the camo. Luckily, one brushed on coat of paint proved to be enough.

Because I brush paint, I have no need for masking tape, however, to make the painting on the upper wing sections straight forward, the demarcation line is a panel join, so I drew the loaded paint brush along that.....

P1260693.JPG

P1260694.JPG

P1260695.JPG

Right, time to open a can and get stuck into the camouflage..... :cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks chaps.

Cheers Rick.

Tony, it's a cracker. Perfect, first time fit. The wing root/ fuse. and the wing halves joints, which can all be a problem, were spot on, first time. I couldn't even fit a bee's wing between any of them!
Well recommended..... :thumb2:

Dave - Moving on rather rapidly!

I've set my mind to the camouflage application, and because it looks a very complicated pattern, I've decided to paint the wings separate to the fuselage. This, I've reasoned will give me a flat surface which I can lay on my cutting mat, thus making the painting a lot easier - hopefully!
As for the fuselage.....?

I've brush painted on the Vallejo sand and gull grey. Clever use of the wide band of gull grey on the leading edge and nose of the aircraft. It's a torpedo bomber, so when attacking shipping, all that can be see from ahead is grey.

Here's the one piece lower wing done, and the two top sections ready for the camo. Luckily, one brushed on coat of paint proved to be enough.

I don't mask my stuff, but to make the painting on the upper wing sections straight forward, the demarcation line is a panel join, so I drew the loaded paint brush along that.....

View attachment 388335

View attachment 388336

View attachment 388337

Right, time to open a can and get stuck into the camouflage..... :cold-sweat:

Cheers.
Ron

Careful Ron! You don't want to be putting the contents of the wrong can on your model!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here am I trying to comment on a build and it's nearly finished. My fault, I must try harder. Anyway, a very interesting subject and a good looking build. Looking forward to the rest, however, by the time I've typed this you'll have probably finished.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Don't worry Dave, they are well labelled!

Nice to have your comments Colin.

Cheers Rick. I've made a start.

O.K. I've glued the wing sections together, and despite it being a hot day today, I was still able to push on with the camouflage.- plastic in the fridge/paint/dry/....repeat,.... :thumb2:

Like my Lancaster painting method, I first drew the shapes, but when I started to brush on the first coat, they looked like ruptures rugby balls. Far too uniform as well.

I was after random shapes and sizes, so I re-painted the bit of wing I wasn't happy with and started afresh.

I dispensed with the pencil marks and went for it completely freehand, varying the shapes and spacings as I brushed on the green paint. Once this colour was dry, I filled in the gaps in the green with the brown, again varying the shapes and obviously leaving sandy lines in between them both.

Here's the first coat. Because the camo. colours are both dark, they covered the light sand colour very well.

As I guessed, having the wings flat on the board made a huge difference to the paint application.

One more coat should be enough - I b****y well hope so, my eyes are cabbaged already!

P1260696.JPG

Cheers all.

Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Wow!

That's pretty much all I have, looks excellent Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Very nicely done indeed. Brush painters 1 - airbrushers 0. I can't see how it could be done with an airbrush.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I tell thee what , thats a cracking bit of painting old lad . as jim says the only way to do some of these Italian schemes is hand painting ,especially in this scale . If youre wanting another challenge , I can recommend the Italeri Macchi MC 202 in 1/72 , lovely kit and another killer camo - the smoke rings .
keep it up mucker , tha doing a reyt old job , regards benito mussolini

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas.... :thumb2:
I'm chuffed you all approve.
Now I only have to go over it all again to sharpen things up. Then, of course I have the fuselage daring me to pick it up!

Bruno Tonioli

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh come on Ron! I thought we'd cured you of that nasty habit! You've climbed up the rafters in the museum roof and taken a picture of the real thing under restoration ain't you! Careful you don't fall off 'cos now you got to go back home and get us pictures of your model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Dave, thank you.
You wrote earlier how you fancied this model, but the camo. put you off. There are no less than 5 different camo. options for this aircraft. Going from the ridiculous (this one) through to a plain green version. The kit itself is a joy to build.

Thanks again for your excellent post.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Joining late, but your work is really fine, Ron. Morevoer, every time I see an Italian subject I'm more than happy.
According to a "Sparviero" pilot memories, they carried just one torpedo even if the a/c had 2 pilons under its belly, because with 2 torps the SM 79 became too slow and numb.
The painting is wonderful too and only the gods of modelling know how complicated is to paint properly Ita camo schemes. Well done!