Italeri 1/72 Italian S-79 Sparviero

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, Rick, Joe and Andrea, thank you for your encouraging posts.

This camo. is proving to be a right 'tuffy', but my choice to have a bash.....

Andrea, as you will probably know, your countrymen did great work flying these aircraft. They sank and severely damaged a good number of allied shipping (Both Royal, and Merchant Navy) in the Mediterranean Sea during the early stages of WW2.
Also, thank you for the bit of info. Much appreciated.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update....

The wife has been busy sewing P.P.E. stuff together, so to give her a bit of peace, and as I can't sew, I stole a pleasant few hours up in my den.

I've brushed on the first coat of camouflage onto the fuselage. Again I just went for it with no pencil lines. As a result of the freehand work, I've noticed the pattern on the horizontal stabilizers appears slightly larger than that on the fuselage. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when my eyes are back in their respective sockets!

If I decide to alter the stabilizer pattern, the next coat should sort it and hopefully tidy and sharpen things up a bit too. Also, I'll need to see if the wing root join matches the camo. pattern when I glue the wings and fuse. together. - Finger's crossed!

Here's the fuselage.

P1260697.JPG

I haven't knocked off the waist gun barrel. - Yet!

Cheers and thanks to those looking in. It keeps the old mojo from going out of the window.... :thumb2:

Ron

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Admit it Ron, you've used stick back plastic & them little kiddie scissors???? :flushed:
Just like Blue Peter !!!! :thumb2::thumb2:

Astounded in Aberconwy.

:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great, though I see what you mean about the stabiliser pattern. Just makes me think that if the Italians had gone for a simpler pattern they could probably have made a few more aircraft. This must have taken just as long at full size.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Never cease to entertain and amaze. Looks good from where I'm sitting.

Well done Mrs Ron, all credit to you.

Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding Ron! The thought of doing that camo......

Very, very well done indeed!!!!

ATB

Andrew

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I'm very late joining this build, But I'm glad I did. Some fantastic brush work there young Ron. Be careful with the eyes or you'll end up looking like Mr MaGoo.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wo hey!
Thanks for all your nice (and funny) comments chaps. A great start to my day, and all much appreciated.

A special thanks to Jim. I'll pass your message on to the wife. I didn't sit about mind, I cut out the material for her. She makes masks, head bands, hats and bags out of scrap stuff she's accumulated over the years. There is a collection point in the village ( A wheelie Bin!) where all the stuff made is delivered to. It's our small way of showing our appreciation to all those still risking their lives to try and save others.....

Regarding the stabilizer pattern size difference (See last photo), I've taken a look at them this morning, and just couldn't face the thought of re-painting the whole surfaces.
So, with a very fine brush, I've split the offending 'Big Bits' of the pattern in half with wiggly lines of the light sand, and then added bits of both the green and brown where necessary.

I am now happy that size wise, they both blend in much better with the rest of the camouflage.

Here is a picture of the 'new' tail unit.
P1260713.JPG

Next, joining up time.... :cold-sweat:

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Looks amazing Ron.

Has the fuselage had another coat in that picture too? The colours look even better than in yesterday's.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great now Ron, as Eric used to say to Ernie....”you cant see the join”....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jack, Andy and Tim. Thank you.

I could have left the stabilizers as they were, but it would only have bugged me every time I looked at the aircraft, and probably have looked worse with each passing day!

Well spotted Andy, I have indeed brushed on a second (and luckily the final) coat. But in my usual impeccable memory span, I forgot to mention it!.... :upside:

Thanks again for your posts, chaps.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
Great job. Am I alone in thinking your last photo looks like a moth :thinking:
Jim

Oh,no! I've been rumbled! It was a b****r getting the poor creatures wings to lay flat on the plastic. Thank goodness for Micro Sol!

Sorry Paul, our posts crossed. Thanks mate. Always nice to read your posts on my builds. I'm glad you like it....and I'm also glad this stage is finally behind me - I hope!

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The second revision to the tail came out the bomb 570. I'm sure the Italian Air force would agree.
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Neil and Rick.

The wings and fuselage are now joined together. Luckily, as I hoped, the wing root join only needed a bit of touching up to marry up the camouflage..... :flushed:!

Brushed on throughout using Vallejo Model Air, slightly thinned with tap water. The sand took just one coat of paint, the two camo's took two each.
The white is really a Lt. grey, but the sun got in the way!

Here is the result. I must confess to being more than happy with the outcome.

P1260706.JPG

P1260708.JPG

P1260709.JPG

P1260707.JPG

P1260710.JPG

P1260711.JPG

P1260712.JPG

Time now to add the free enjynes and other bits.

Thanks for looking.
Yours.
Pepsi Colarolio