Kitty Hawk 1/48 Jaguar GR.1/ GR.3

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Ian.
Just caught up with this and agree about the crazy join line decisions. Truly baffling! I have this kit in the stash also so this build is of interest
Anyhoo, the paint work looks good from here mate.
Keep up the great build

Cheers
P

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I have heard rumours that Field painted equipment often involved brushes, rollers and even brooms. Though I doubt aircraft would have gotten the same treatment.
Ian, I can confirm that sometimes flying things are brush painted even in 1:1 scale.
Many many years ago I saw a Mi 17 flown by an Ukrainian private company working for the UN: the white paint layer was thick, with huge marks of a large flat brush and, here and there, stiff, detached brush hairs were clearly visible. I will not describe the crew and their approach to the tail rotor maintenance for decency :cold-sweat:, but I'm pretty sure they were the painters :astonished:.
Andrea

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dang...I should have bought the kit when I had the chance.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have heard rumours that Field painted equipment often involved brushes, rollers and even brooms. Though I doubt aircraft would have gotten the same treatment.
Probably not quite that bad, but they could have been painted quickly without much attention to cleaning it well before adding the new coat. Here’s a Buccaneer I photographed about six months after the Gulf War, that doesn’t seem to be all that well-painted:

5C2AD341-9F7C-4BA4-8DF7-0F8EE5462DC6.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice photo Jakko. Nearly all the RAF birds in the gulf war had that temporary paint that could be pressure washed off, can't remember the name of it...
Any how... Got the weapons painted, photos in the morrow.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm. Why have Kitty Hawk made the decals for the weapons in French?
Still trying to figure out a load out for mine.
I did get the decals on the model with only one casualty. I now have a serial number missing a number in the middle...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Finally remembered to take a couple of photos of the progress.
20220205_133957.jpg20220205_134017.jpg
How lucky am I. Turned out that I didn't have to worry about all the stencils. All but a few were overpainted and only the most important re done.
I s'pose the next step is wash and weather...and paint the MG shielding... and glue the sodding nose spike on again. (third time I have knocked it off!).

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent Ian , its been an excercise in overcoming challenges but its worth it . I used the Xtracrylix desert pink when I did my Airfix 1/48 one years ago ( same decal scheme as this ) , its a good match although as youve said ,it doesnt like anyone elses thinners - I used their own for spraying with no problems but found out it can go gloopy when cleaning the airbrush with other stuff !

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Well done for battling this one. The jag has always been one of my favourite aircraft and despite its faults the kit builds up into a nice representation of it. I bought some AM decals as I’d seen one with the white rose and being a Yorkshireman it struck a chord. Looking forward to seeing the final pics now

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking excellent Ian , its been an excercise in overcoming challenges but its worth it . I used the Xtracrylix desert pink when I did my Airfix 1/48 one years ago ( same decal scheme as this ) , its a good match although as youve said ,it doesnt like anyone elses thinners - I used their own for spraying with no problems but found out it can go gloopy when cleaning the airbrush with other stuff !
I do like those paints, the colours are good and 99% of the time take decals well.
Thinking about it I think I thinned them before with distilled water. Hmm.
Trouble is can't find them anywhere in Denmark...
Well done for battling this one. The jag has always been one of my favourite aircraft and despite its faults the kit builds up into a nice representation of it. I bought some AM decals as I’d seen one with the white rose and being a Yorkshireman it struck a chord. Looking forward to seeing the final pics now
once a Yorkshire man....
I have some decals for another pink jag. But did not want to use them on this, they are for a little project.
Hi Ian
You're getting there :thumb2: . Still throwing up issues but looking very good.
Jim
The fun part starts now, making it look used.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have heard rumours that Field painted equipment often involved brushes, rollers....Though I doubt aircraft would have gotten the same treatment.

I’ve seen RAF painters applying primer and topcoat to patch up repair areas on Nimrods in the hangar at Kinloss.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Probably not quite that bad, but they could have been painted quickly without much attention to cleaning it well before adding the new coat. Here’s a Buccaneer I photographed about six months after the Gulf War, that doesn’t seem to be all that well-painted:

View attachment 444564

Is that Buccaneer parked next to a Saab Draken?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great looking build, are you going to weather or have it factory fresh?
It will be a bit grubby and used. Which I am discovering is a lot easier on a truck or a tank than on an aircraft!
First hurdle is that paint they used absorbed moisture, thus when damp it is darker and lighter where dry. Edges and penetrations being the most susceptible places, as can be seen on the two photos of the same buccaneer that have been posted in the thread.
I must admit that I am not going to such extremes though!
I have been attacking the panels with a brown oil wash and once happy I will give is a good flat coat to kill any shine.
So Far:
20220206_143113.jpg

20220206_143244.jpg

20220206_143201.jpg

Two things with close ups. They are great at showing detail but even better at showing how bad the paint is. Fortunately the shaky hand soft focus helps hide that a bit....
Still got to paint those shrouds!