Kitty Hawk 1/48 Jaguar GR.1/ GR.3

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Ian. This bird could be a 'weather's paradise' .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well?

The short version:
Its dead. sad because it was looking rather good.

The slightly longer version: Which will probably get a laugh.
I restarted to put bits on having finished the Helicopter GB. Got the mini turbos in, and the air-breaks on. Got the undercart pistons in and the doors on. I even had luck getting the thin CA to work. And that was my down fall. Or rather the kitty's: CA
Putting the exhaust nozzles in they put up a bit of a fight but got the first one in place and secured it with the Thin CA on the principals that it would wick in and around. Well it did. Yeah.
Time to put the second one in. That put up even more of a fight. Hmm. Put the model down to take a sip of my, now cold, coffee. It was here I found out how well thin CA wicks as I reached for my coffee, much to my surprise the kit followed! I had stuck the kit to my thumb. pretty much most of the way round the fuselage, as the kit attached to my hand swung round with my hand to pick up the aforementioned coffee it smacked into the edge of the bench, thus freeing it from my hand and disintegrated upon hitting the floor. Looking at the carnage, then at my hand, the CA had stuck very well to the paint right through to the primer. So Clear coat, washes, paint and primer stuck very well but the plastic. not so much.
I got up took my coffee and shut the door behind me.
So sorry guys no more Kitty Hawk Jaguar from me.
I was actually enjoying the build and the challenges it gave.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SORRY TO BE MORBID Ian but any pic of the aftermath ? an im not laughin as this is a great pity as you was doin better on this kit than i was :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:ps is it not repairable ?
chris b

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
SORRY TO BE MORBID Ian but any pic of the aftermath ? an im not laughin as this is a great pity as you was doin better on this kit than i was :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:ps is it not repairable ?
chris b
Nope.
It's OK to laugh.
Nope.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fear not my friends. I have at least one more Jag in the stash. Just not a Kitty Hawk, something much easier to build: The Airfix one.
I will return with a new build, or highlights at least some time in the future.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The past bad reviews of the kit must have really stuck fast. Can't it get any worse for the poor kit. I was looking forward to see the challenge completed and dispel all bad omens cast on it to get enough courage to get one.

Oh well Ian...you could show us a pic with sensor tabs over exposed parts. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
What a shame Ian , it was looking great , i suppose it just wasnt meant to be . Theres a lesson to be learnt in all this though, dont let your coffee go cold :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s probably the first time I have heard of a model coming to an end in that way :smiling3: Unfortunate, but accidents happen, I suppose …

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The past bad reviews of the kit must have really stuck fast. Can't it get any worse for the poor kit. I was looking forward to see the challenge completed and dispel all bad omens cast on it to get enough courage to get one.

Oh well Ian...you could show us a pic with sensor tabs over exposed parts. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
WELL Richard dont waste your money on a k/h kit as i did an regretted it
chris b

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I''m more concerned as to the cup and of course your skin Ian ;)

Normally I only glue the part to my self then spend time looking for it till it dawns on me.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well to put this to bed I will just post
The Conclusion
What can I say. After the initial joy of a modern new tooled Model of maybe one of the best looking jets of its time, my joy turned to horror. All the in box reviews praised it to the clouds, with some comment on the errors in the instructions, which where 'corrected' with photocopied corrections (sort of).
Then the build reviews started to turn up. The kit was put way to the back of the stash.
Many years later, I got the urge to build it. Most of the build is well covered in the thread so I will not go into that to much but sum up on a few points.

First point of note the parts where swimming in release agent and had to be well cleaned in warm soapy water and scrubbed with a brush! Generally the plastic was good and the detail fairly sharp. Close examination did reveal some softness in detail here and there, mostly curvy corners not quite pulling it off.
Things that where just silly: the way that the top wing surface was joined. Airfix did a very easy one part top main wing part. Kitty Hawk has the wing in two parts joining at the fuselage, resulting in a joint right through all the panel and rivet detail. Why do this in such a prominent place?

All the open panels where made as just that. OPEN! with no option of just closing them. I am pretty sure that if all was built up as intended, the build would have been OK. However, if you are going to do a kit that has this feature, you might want to actually put the detail in the exposed bays..
Of the hundreds of photos of the Jaguar with very cleare photos of what went where, they missed a chance to do it right and just did the 'meh that'll do' job.
A sprue of panels that fitted as a closed option will save a lot of work for those not wishing to spend hours fettling to get then to fit or even more time scratching the parts.

No way on this Earth can the full engine be fitted and close the doors, so that also needs a work round.

The way that the undercarriages are made up and built are also very awkward to do. A lot more detail would not go amiss either. There is more plumbing on the legs of this bird than there is in a small home. Not One wire, tube or hose was even attempted! Poor show.

So It can be built, but is a lot of work. But as in my last post. (la silencio playing in the back of my head) Due to the strange way that the model is designede and the (excessive) use of CA all ended in a fatal collision with a table top and floor.
Could I fix it up... maybe
Do I want to....nope.
If you have this kit, build it 100% as intended and it will be OK.
If you want one closed and parked buy the Airfix one.

PS I have today got the last of the CA, and all the layers of paint off my thumb!

Ian M