Si
Morning Scottie,
Lovely work on the headphone wiring, a nice touch:thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
thanks mate I am still practicing as well, It is a bit heavier that I wanted but with a bit more work I can hopefully get it the way I hoped.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Si,
Thanks fella, they are far from perfect but hopefully they add a bit of interest.

D

Daniel Horvath

Scottie this a wonderful build of yours soo many photoetch and details and you sir will certainly due justice with it! Can’t wait to see it finished! Regards Danny

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great details, and execution. The more MGs the better. GIs were notorious scroungers, grabbing up anything of potential use not guarded or securely fastened. MGs to "fight the track" would use the attached cans so as to not require a full time assistant to keep the belt from fouling. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great details, and execution. The more MGs the better. GIs were notorious scroungers, grabbing up anything of potential use not guarded or securely fastened. MGs to "fight the track" would use the attached cans so as to not require a full time assistant to keep the belt from fouling. PaulE
Paul,
Thanks mate, your right squaddies are great scroungers, I have seen pictures of M60's using cans in Vietnam.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have seen pictures of M60's using cans in Vietnam.
I get the impression you’re not talking of the same type of cans here :smiling3: The first Paul (@minitnkr) probably means an ammo can hanging from the machine gun mount so there’s no loose belt flapping all over the place:

DSCN3523_zpsfkobooiq.jpg
(source)

while the other Paul (@scottie3158) seems to mean using a tin can underneath the feedway of the gun to allow it to be fired without a loader making sure the belt is pulled in horizontally to prevent jams:

cd1e42534ac9c598c97b8aa7688b77ac--vietnam-veterans-soldiers.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I get the impression you’re not talking of the same type of cans here :smiling3: The first Paul (@minitnkr) probably means ammo cans attached to the machine gun mount:

DSCN3523_zpsfkobooiq.jpg
(source)

while the other Paul (@scottie3158) seems to mean using a tin can underneath the feedway to allow the gun to be fired without a loader who makes sure the belt is pulled in horizontally to prevent jams:

cd1e42534ac9c598c97b8aa7688b77ac--vietnam-veterans-soldiers.jpg

Hi Jakko, yes I was thinking of the can under the belt.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In that case: don’t add one to your model :smiling3: This is something you see almost exclusively with M60s in Vietnam, and even then only on pintle mounts, door guns, etc. where there wasn’t enough room for a loader to work. (Revised M60s have a sheet metal bracket on the left side that fulfills the same function, so the can is also not appropriate on a model of, say, an American vehicle in 1970s–’80s Germany or the Gulf War.)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Correctomundo. Jakko's first pic is exactly what I was referring to. Often the unwieldy water cooled were utilized to "fight the track" or jeep mounted, while the air cooled were saved for ground mounts due to the weight difference. The late war biped/rifle stock equipped 30cals were even lighter. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not getting a lot of time at the bench, but have managed a little bit. I have attempted to make some tarps and bed rolls. Please ignore the twine it will be removed it was used to pull the putty in ready for the straps to be added later. The large tarp on the side has a hole in it as the more observant will have noticed it was my mistake but I actually like it adds a bit of wear.
Thanks for staying with this.

DSCF1500.JPGDSCF1501.JPGDSCF1502.JPGDSCF1504.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Looking good. I like the used and abused tarp - seems that would be the case in reality.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Scottie

Keepin' it real man! Or something like that in new speak. Anyway great job sir.

John

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Love the Tarps and the natural bending... i find the rope a bit to big... is it me???

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Not getting a lot of time at the bench, but have managed a little bit. I have attempted to make some tarps and bed rolls. Please ignore the twine it will be removed it was used to pull the putty in ready for the straps to be added later. The large tarp on the side has a hole in it as the more observant will have noticed it was my mistake but I actually like it adds a bit of wear.
Thanks for staying with this.

View attachment 315506View attachment 315507View attachment 315508View attachment 315509

Dig those tarps Scottie...wicked.

Cheers,
Richard