Panzer IV

First Name
Robert
hi chaps

Well I'm almost finished my WW1 first tank painting exercise so im thinking of my next meaty course. I know this is a popular tank build so I don't think threads on builds will be needed but it's more a new painting exercise for me ( practice )

My aim is to show a battle tank knocked out so chipping and explosive damage will be my aim damaged areas etc

I have never built this tank before but looks straight forward ( I hope )

I'm not too sure on colour ref yet as I want to portray a Afrika korps tank ( Rommels)

I'm looking for ref on original factory colours ( before sent out to Africa so I can fade the desset colours back to original if that makes sense

The kit I'll be using is a swapsie I did recently

Comments and help with ref most appreciated

Cheers

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

L

lizz62

Looks like a great idea. Can't wait. I like to build my armor based on actual photos.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
cool idea like the sounds of it,and yes you did get my attention, :D

D

dubster72

Robert, Afrika Corps tan was RAL8020 which was adopted in 1942 - a good match for a Panzer IV F1/2.

Xtracolor do a very good match, X808 but that's the dreaded enamel! Tamiya Desert Yellow is pretty good, but as for Vallejo I have no idea!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Robert, Afrika Corps tan was RAL8020 which was adopted in 1942 - a good match for a Panzer IV F1/2.
Xtracolor do a very good match, X808 but that's the dreaded enamel! Tamiya Desert Yellow is pretty good, but as for Vallejo I have no idea!
Thanks for paint ref guides ( I may go down the line of sparking the tank German light grey for primer ( was it a white interior on Panzer IV?, then a German Wehrmacht blue/ grey then adopt the Africa Korp colours before I wreck it ( so to speak ):rolleyes: I don't want to go down enamel pathway as rather stick to acrylics.

I've got all the Revell paints / Aqua, I've got al lot of tamiya acrylics ( spares ) and quite a few of Vallejo ( not all ) and a few citadel paints/ life colour but I'm going to have to decide which path on paints to go down as I've had probs with Tamiya and Vallejo not liking each other and making a mess of the builds. I'm trying to aim for light spray painting so not heavy coats. Then after clear coat oils for weathering leaning the end result looking still metal but not heavy coats which then I can add dust and grime too ( mig powders etc)

As a great wise ( clever clogs said to me keep it simple and then look to weathering it up )

Who that great modeller was I cant remember off the top of my head?o_O

Cheers

Robert :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

D

dubster72

\ said:
Thanks for paint ref guides ( I may go down the line of sparking the tank German light grey for primer ( was it a white interior on Panzer IV?, then a German Wehrmacht blue/ grey then adopt the Africa Korp colours before I wreck it ( so to speak ):rolleyes: I don't want to go down enamel pathway as rather stick to acrylics.
I've got all the Revell paints / Aqua, I've got al lot of tamiya acrylics ( spares ) and quite a few of Vallejo ( not all ) and a few citadel paints/ life colour but I'm going to have to decide which path on paints to go down as I've had probs with Tamiya and Vallejo not liking each other and making a mess of the builds. I'm trying to aim for light spray painting so not heavy coats. Then after clear coat oils for weathering leaning the end result looking still metal but not heavy coats which then I can add dust and grime too ( mig powders etc)

As a great wise ( clever clogs said to me keep it simple and then look to weathering it up )

Cheers

Ha-ha I've no idea who that masked man is! :P

You're right to go with a German Grey base, off the top of my head I think only the Tunisian Tigers were painted with a sand basecoat from the factory. Everything else was over-painted as & when that unit was sent to North Africa.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:

Cheers

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:

Cheers

Robert...... Tamiya acrylic reacts badly over Vallejo as you've probably found. But Valejo over Tamiya seems to work well..... at least that's what I`'ve found.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Robert...... Tamiya acrylic reacts badly over Vallejo as you've probably found. But Valejo over Tamiya seems to work well..... at least that's what I`'ve found.
I don't think it's the paints that react bad I think it's the liquid they mix the pigments with. I tried once with Vallejo thinners a Copley of drops in the A/b and then added Tamiya paint ( disaster as they don't mix well ) so if I'm using Tamiya paints I use their x20 thinner ( like for like) only problem with that is you really have to clean your A/b thoroughly before using Vallejo paints and their thinners. I tend to use Revell paints and their media but also that works well with distilled water to thin down the paint ( Revell likes Vallejo, I've found but Tamiya is just an oddity.

Still I'll not stop using either of the 3

D

dubster72

\ said:
I don't think it's the paints that react bad I think it's the liquid they mix the pigments with. I tried once with Vallejo thinners a Copley of drops in the A/b and then added Tamiya paint ( disaster as they don't mix well ) so if I'm using Tamiya paints I use their x20 thinner ( like for like) only problem with that is you really have to clean your A/b thoroughly before using Vallejo paints and their thinners. I tend to use Revell paints and their media but also that works well with distilled water to thin down the paint ( Revell likes Vallejo, I've found but Tamiya is just an oddity.
Still I'll not stop using either of the 3
Thar's because Tamiya are synthetic acrylics. Although they can be thinned with water, they're actually alcohol based. I thin them with cellulose thinners, something I couldn't do with any other acrylic paint.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I thin Tamiya paints and clean brushes with IPA... That seems to work..... IPA also strips Tamiya paint a treat if you want to get it off even when it's dried off.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
if using Vallejo,paints for this one,the panzer gray is great,but don't use the German dark yellow,

as I find it very much too,green and I use the desert yellow is very good,easy to darken or lighten,

and I even use it as my dark yellow in the tri color as well,

hope this is of some help,as I just read what Patrick said about the color,so hopped on in, ;)

First Name
Robert
With this Panzer build I'm hoping to get 3 crew members that have succumbed to their injuries. Surgery is not my best subject so some advice on dead personnel would be helpful

An example of what I'm looking at doing

image.jpeg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that can be a bit of a tricky one,as a lot depends on the figures,

I do some from time to time,once you have the figures ,I maybe able

to suggest a few things,its fun playing doctor Frankenstein,:rolleyes: ;)

make V cuts where you need them in the middle of the joints,

First Name
Robert
\ said:
that can be a bit of a tricky one,as a lot depends on the figures,
I do some from time to time,once you have the figures ,I maybe able

to suggest a few things,its fun playing doctor Frankenstein,:rolleyes: ;)

make V cuts where you need them in the middle of the joints,
Thanks Monica

I'm looking at a few DAK kits ( not too good on flesh yet so the half naked German wil be out but maybe a shirt or two, ( you'll have to give me your top tip on blood too!!

Your ever thankful Egor!!!!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol, :D

also Jim dose the odd dead guy as well so if he see this may have some input as well ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks Monica
I'm looking at a few DAK kits ( not too good on flesh yet so the half naked German wil be out but maybe a shirt or two, ( you'll have to give me your top tip on blood too!!

Your ever thankful Egor!!!!
You'll also notice Robert that this poor fella has emptied his bowels in his final moments ........... Quite common, I'm given to understand........... and before you ask? I have no idea what the Vallejo colour number is for that. They probably have one though.

First Name
Robert
Well I think we all must have that final moment when we are at the door so to speak and there's neve any Andrex when you need it the most ( bad humour ) I'll get my coat!!

D

dubster72

\ said:
You'll also notice Robert that this poor fella has emptied his bowels in his final moments ........... Quite common, I'm given to understand........... and before you ask? I have no idea what the Vallejo colour number is for that. They probably have one though.
Laurie would know! ;)

D

Dave1973

Doctoring figures is fairly easy, as long as you take your time.

Use a tealight candle, and you can manipulate the plastic really well.

I hold the part of the figure i want to manipulate above the flame about 10mm and rotate, it only takes two or three seconds to become soft, and then small minor movements can be performed. For accurate work, this is best, and repeating to get desired result. However, you can warm the area longer, and manipulate the part severley, changing the angles, lengths and look but be careful, and hold the position and blow gently to cool the plastic.

I managed to turn a running man into a standing man taking a pee, and also a standing man i to a seated man for a helicopter door gunner.