Panzer IV

D

dubster72

To be honest, I'm not sure the one I posted is a smoke grenade dispenser. It's mounted below the rear section & looks nothing like the pic you've shown. More research is needed!

Don't worry about any money, I'll pop them in the post, probably on Thursday as I'm busy tomorrow. PM me your address if you would. I'll stick some of the PE clasps that I haven't used on my Jagdtiger too - you'll have fun putting them together! ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks Peter that would be very handy ( there are 3 I think with this kit but a few more couldn't do any harm.
Thanks again

Robert

Ps your tommies are on the way ( posted today )
I`'ll chuck them in the post then.

I've packed them ...and I found a sprue with a couple of German figures, weapons tin hats and accesories you can have as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Robert
Been doing more research on colours for DAK and it looks like the Wehrmachtafter some extensive research I have Magee to obtain a generic painting code for German DAK

I know there are several brands out there all depicting Dessert colours but I wanted to research for accurate colours. Below is an article I have copied for paint assists

Early war 1938- 1940

Dunkelbraun No 45

Dunkelgrau No 46

On 7 Nov 1938 it was ordered that all vehicles were to be repainted by the individual units. At the same time it was specified that the pattern should be a base coat of dunkelgrau 45 with one third of the vehicle coveted in Dunkbraun 46

The colour was very dark (dunkelbraun) so it is hard to distinguish the different colours on b/w pics

Mid war and North Africa 1941-1942

After 12 June 1940 until they stopped buying paint from supplyers, instead paint was issued directly to the unit with dunkelgrau being the only colour issued.

On 31st July 1940 to save paint only armour should be painted dunkelgrau.

On 10th Feb 1941 the RAL colours were re numbered with dunkelgrau being RAL 7021

On 17march 1941 all vehicles in North Africa a base coat of gelbbraun RAL 8000 ( yellow brown)

With one third of the vehicle covered by graugrun RAL 7008( gray green ) with feathered edges

To save paint however the areas covered by graugrun were not to be covered with the gelbbraun base colour

Small items should only be painted in one colour

On 25 of March 1942 gelbbraun and graugrun were replaced by Braun RAL 8020 and Grau RAL 7027. Once existing paint stocks were depleted with no change in pattern

Some vehicles were also seen in Europe1941 with the two tone 8020/ 7027.

The best explanation is that these vehicles were redirected from Africa to European units

I hope this helps and I'll be ordering if I can from John Scale Model Shop

Cheers

Robert

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I posted off the Jerry cans and figures today Robert. I also found three 1/35 scale ammo type boxes / lockers.... Three different sizes. You might be able to use them for your grenade box.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I posted off the Jerry cans and figures today Robert. I also found three 1/35 scale ammo type boxes / lockers.... Three different sizes. You might be able to use them for your grenade box.
That's a brill idea Peter and thanks very much ( let me know what I owe you. Thinking more on dio and might get a few 1/35 British soldiers so,as to be riffling through the debris for weapons etc and the ammo lockers would be handy. This could turn into a big dio now ( wonder if they had fox or similar British armoured cars in Africa or was it dingos??

Robert

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
That's a brill idea Peter and thanks very much ( let me know what I owe you. Thinking more on dio and might get a few 1/35 British soldiers so,as to be riffling through the debris for weapons etc and the ammo lockers would be handy. This could turn into a big dio now ( wonder if they had fox or similar British armoured cars in Africa or was it dingos??
Robert
You owe me nowt Robert.

First Name
Robert
Postie delivered the next part to go with the Panzer IV ( destroyed ) I have got Tamiya toolset and I also got some figures which I'm going to have to chop up ( de surgeon is in!!!) this is going to be hard for its my first ever operation to alter figures positions. I won't be using Erwin Rommel so he's free if anyone wants him! The Panzer 4 is coming along slowly as I'm trying to get the WW1 dio finished and I can say the Italeri 1/35 kit old kit is not the easiest of kits to put together as instructions are vague and no part numbers, and the instructions are in pamphlet form( it's getting together slowly and I'll get pics on tomorrow of progress.

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
My first operation to make a dead German ( minus the head ) used a hot scalpel took his left leg off to reposition and cut both boots and feet off to reposition, body has been moved and arms splayed out in front of

Removed both thumbs and wil sculpt new ones ( sounds like the Spanish Inquisition torture chambers )

Well I got to fill him in a bit with mr surfacer tidy him up before priming, next fig will be slumped over the driver hatch position of Panzer IV

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

E

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
My first operation to make a dead German ( minus the head ) used a hot scalpel took his left leg off to reposition and cut both boots and feet off to reposition, body has been moved and arms splayed out in front of
Removed both thumbs and wil sculpt new ones ( sounds like the Spanish Inquisition torture chambers )

Well I got to fill him in a bit with mr surfacer tidy him up before priming, next fig will be slumped over the driver hatch position of Panzer IV

Comments welcome

View attachment 139379 E
He does look very dead Robert.

First Name
Robert
Hi guys

Now I know this is an old conversation but I can't for the hell find it ( Sand)???? I'm starting to get my base stared for my next Dio and I'm thinking real sand looks to big ( granules ) I thought of fish rank sand but that's going in the wrong direction

Cat San ( kitty litter ) and use the wife's rolling pin to crush it?

It has to be the desert look I'm hoping for. I have loads of Pva so I can stick but I'm just not seeing 1/35 sand

Can anyone help???

Robert

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Silversand or kids sandpit sand is quite fine

D

dubster72

Bird grit makes good sand in 1/35 Robert, or you could try my all-time favourite .... bicarbonate of soda!

Although I use that mainly for snow, once it's dry it can be sprayed a sandy colour.

First Name
Robert
Cracking ideas chaps I'll try all 3 I think. Got the poly styrene down and will do a thin clay pancake tomorrow then off to Asda or poundies to get me shopping list ( wife's gonna go nuts ) " you ain't getting a budgie or a kid and your not making a bloody cake are you ( bicarbonate soda) in care you lost me.

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Received the jerry cams etc ( great stuff ) thanks fir the assists Peter :cool::cool::cool:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Received the jerry cams etc ( great stuff ) thanks fir the assists Peter :cool::cool::cool:
Good...Hope you can use some of it.

First Name
Robert
Hairspray tech

I could do with a little advice on this. Ok the Panzer has been given full coat of Mig 008 RAL 7021 Dunkelgrau which is the colour the tank left the factory. Now the top half of the tank was sprayed RAL 8020 Gelbraun and the lower half RAL 7027 for Africa use.

My question do I coat the whole model in Hairspray lacquer then once dry spray over the new coats. Or do I seal this coat first with clear then use hairspray. ( this is all new to me ) I want to give the tank on extremities the original factory colour and even chipped down to bare steel

Any help?

First Name
Robert
Hairspray tech

I could do with a little advice on this. Ok the Panzer has been given full coat of Mig 008 RAL 7021 Dunkelgrau which is the colour the tank left the factory. Now the top half of the tank was sprayed RAL 8020 Gelbraun and the lower half RAL 7027 for Africa use.

My question do I coat the whole model in Hairspray lacquer then once dry spray over the new coats. Or do I seal this coat first with clear then use hairspray. ( this is all new to me ) I want to give the tank on extremities the original factory colour and even chipped down to bare steel

Any help?

First Name
Robert
Updates with pics and also the damage that knocked this tank out ( or so I hope to portray

Enjoy and comments as always image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

J

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Looking good Robert ............ I'm not sure how (and if you want to) you can get a dull red glow to the turret? Someone far cleverer than me might know ....... But if the ammo "cooked off" it would get damn hot .......... or is this going to be the aftermath?