Panzer IV

First Name
Robert
Just ordered a set of DAK figures from Masterbox. They will be surgically altered for my finished representation of a dead crew ( fingers crossed ) but I won't be using good old Erwin

image.jpeg

N

noble

Hi Robert it will be interesting to see what you do with this, a thought if you don't mind, be careful when applying the blood too much and it looks tacky and insensitive, there is a citadel paint called blood for the blood god it gives an accurate representation of blood, but apply it in small amounts and not nessecarily to the figures to give the full effect without going over the top, as I say just a thought I've got my chair ready.

scott

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi Robert it will be interesting to see what you do with this, a thought if you don't mind, be careful when applying the blood too much and it looks tacky and insensitive, there is a citadel paint called blood for the blood god it gives an accurate representation of blood, but apply it in small amounts and not nessecarily to the figures to give the full effect without going over the top, as I say just a thought I've got my chair ready.
scott
I totally understand the concept of the scene I want to create. This won't be gruesome in any shape or form. My aims are simple to practice my skills and learn new skills at painting Armour. With this journey I will hopefully learn new skills in diorama and figure painting.

I've never really felt happy just building kits to display and then moving onto the next kit. Maybe I'm finally understanding more about what I'm aiming to achieve in model building

N

noble

\ said:
I totally understand the concept of the scene I want to create. This won't be gruesome in any shape or form. My aims are simple to practice my skills and learn new skills at painting Armour. With this journey I will hopefully learn new skills in diorama and figure painting.
I've never really felt happy just building kits to display and then moving onto the next kit. Maybe I'm finally understanding more about what I'm aiming to achieve in model building
Good luck Robert you got me interested mate and I have my popcorn at the ready.

scott

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Just seen this one Robert and you've got my attention, I will join in and watch this.
Anyone know how to open the front hatches on the Panzer IV ( I know it's going to involve surgery but the easiest way please ??

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

I'd grind the plastic down from the back to thin it out & then make shallow cuts in the groves - mask off the surrounding areas in case of slippage!

But if you open them Robert, you'll expose the transmission area, so some scratchbuilding might be required.

First Name
Robert
Thanks Patrick Ouch!!!! Think tats gonna be more experienced levels but see from my pic I wanted to try to represent ( maybe re think this stage I could keep them closed and lay a German over there on his escape route?

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

That would save you a fair bit of time & effort :smiling3:

Although the hatch is open in that pic, there's no reason why it needs to be. A shell hit wouldn't be likely to blow it open, so you'd be fine keeping it as is.

But if you do decide to open one or more of them, here's what's underneath

F1_2.jpg

First Name
Robert
Here's my planned listrike and to open it up a little ( this will blow the track and as the tank is on fire but keeps rolling the track will wrap around wheels( I hope) that's why I thought of opening the hatches of the running gear but now looks pretty daunting and think I can stil acheive same without opening too many hatches

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cd

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Actually opening the hatch wouldn't be too difficult. I would cut off the hinge and the vent/scoop thing (whatever its called,) with a razor saw, and then cut or grind the remaining hatch portion out without trying to save it. that was you can be extra careful with the surrounding plate. Score the joints very carefully on the hinge itself to get the two parts separated. This would be the trickiest part, but would work.

Then, just scratchbuild a new hatch with a more appropriate scale thickness with plasticard. Voila! New hatch to be used in any position you want.

First Name
Robert
Ok I'm looking beyond the build now and looking towards accessories in tools. The kit comes with a few jerry cans the odd helmet but the tools are needing upgrading plus also there is a grenade box that is missing from the kit ( does not include one but the F1/F2 had this feature on the rear of the tank?

Also smoke discharges on the turret. Any help there?

Have ordered Tamiya on vehicle stowage ( Italieri stuff getting put in spare drawer )

D

dubster72

I might have a few pioneer tools lurking about the place Robert - but they'll likely to be Dragon ones without the clasps. Although I probably have some spare PE clasps?

Smoke dischargers ... there just might be some in my Panzer III box! They might fit ...

I'll have a rummage!

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I might have a few pioneer tools lurking about the place Robert - but they'll likely to be Dragon ones without the clasps. Although I probably have some spare PE clasps?
Smoke dischargers ... there just might be some in my Panzer III box! They might fit ...

I'll have a rummage!
Most thankful Patrick any help would be grand. I've ordered the Tamiya tool set anyway x 2 but on a read of the italeri kit it lacks certain detail and well yes I can scratch build from photos but getting the right look is all important as I'm sure you understand.

Not sure I know why they would have a grenade rack at the rear of the panzer ( 1 being near the exhaust) 2 near a hot engine ( heat and explosives surely don't mix?

Do you have any pics of this grenade rack/ box as my searches have come up empty so far.

Cheers

Robert

D

dubster72

\ said:
Most thankful Patrick any help would be grand. I've ordered the Tamiya tool set anyway x 2 but on a read of the italeri kit it lacks certain detail and well yes I can scratch build from photos but getting the right look is all important as I'm sure you understand.
Not sure I know why they would have a grenade rack at the rear of the panzer ( 1 being near the exhaust) 2 near a hot engine ( heat and explosives surely don't mix?

Do you have any pics of this grenade rack/ box as my searches have come up empty so far.

Cheers

Robert
No worries mate!

But what's this grenade box you're talking about? I can't remember anything like that on there ....

First Name
Robert
I'm not sure I've looked at many sites on Panzers and I can't see it anywhere. however on one such site a comment was made that they incorporated storage boxes/ crate like things arrached to the side ( I suppose like the spare wheel crates? I'm not worried as I'm making it a destroyed tank so a few boxes etc I'll source will be scattered about the wreckage ( like allied soldiers have looted what's left ( of you get my meaning)

So far I've only made headway with lower hull and started drilling shell holes and a bit of surgery with bent plastic ( should the shell holes be inward or exploded outward? ) making some damage to the mudguards too

I'll try getting pics on tomorrow of progress.

Cheers

Robert

D

dubster72

Ok I've found a few bits & bobs ;) dunno if they'll be of any help.

The smoke dischargers are complete - there's the brackets, tubes & the smoke grenades.

IMG_20151130_205539.jpg

I've got some other tools, but they're not very good.

As for the grenade box, do you mean the bit I've circled? (badly!)

IMG_20151130_205708.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ok I'm looking beyond the build now and looking towards accessories in tools. The kit comes with a few jerry cans the odd helmet but the tools are needing upgrading plus also there is a grenade box that is missing from the kit ( does not include one but the F1/F2 had this feature on the rear of the tank?
Also smoke discharges on the turret. Any help there?

Have ordered Tamiya on vehicle stowage ( Italieri stuff getting put in spare drawer )
I have some Tamiya German Jerry cans and fuel drums (Tamiya set 186) you can have if you want them Robert. I've used a few but you're welcome to the rest.

First Name
Robert
Your a star ( that's it I only found one pic of pzr4 or 3 with this on and it's puzzling me. 1/it's not in the kit( italeri lacking in detail, I may try getting some pe clasps and handles to upgrade this kit a bit too. The tools and the smoke discharges are very helpful. You let me know what you want for this and I'll pm you and PayPal you??

According to ref the Pzr 4 was kept at the rear of the assaults in Africa with the shorter barrelled pzr3 in the lead and because the Pzr 4 having greater range with the longer barrel could take out enemy tanks easier, but this made them a little vulnerable to flanking attacks from the side ( weak point) in armour and seeing as they had a lot of ammo on board tended to explode or catch fire easily. I'm very grateful for your ongoing help

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I have some Tamiya German Jerry cans and fuel drums (Tamiya set 186) you can have if you want them Robert. I've used a few but you're welcome to the rest.
Thanks Peter that would be very handy ( there are 3 I think with this kit but a few more couldn't do any harm.

Thanks again

Robert

Ps your tommies are on the way ( posted today )