Revells 1/12 mustang gt 500

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
First Name
Gregg
1K is a one component paint system, 2K is a two component paint system.

1K usually dries/hardens by evaporation of some of it's contents.

2K needs an additive/hardener to be mixed with the main paint/lacquer for it to be able to cure/harden.

Not to be confused with 2 coat paint system, which is a base-coat/clear system.

A base colour is applied, then when dried is coated with a clear lacquer, often a 2K lacquer to give it it's shine/gloss

Varnish is normally associated with oil based paints.

Hopefully that will make it a little easier to understand!

A great build and interesting colour scheme all the same!

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
good work ken needs. Petrol line, radiator pipes, brake pipes, fuel tank, battery, fan belt & fan. But most off all seats, steering wheel, foot & hand brake clutch peddle, gear stick wheels and and BODY SHELL other wise it will not go any where Oh few more other things ignition & key and dash board, speed-o, fuel, gauge heater gauge accelerator peddle and M.O.T. and tax and insurance from go compare. :D :p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

james pithouse

First Name
James
where 's the rest of the list I gave you. Oh well IT'S FAILED THE M.O.T with out all the other parts added ken :D .

First Name
Robert
\ said:
good work ken needs. Petrol line, radiator pipes, brake pipes, fuel tank, battery, fan belt & fan. But most off all seats, steering wheel, foot & hand brake clutch peddle, gear stick wheels and and BODY SHELL other wise it will not go any where Oh few more other things ignition & key and dash board, speed-o, fuel, gauge heater gauge accelerator peddle and M.O.T. and tax and insurance from go compare. :D :p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
You forgot the 1/12 man to sit in the car ( driver, the woman he's with the 1/12 scale flowers and chocolates

Oh and they got to have shades on!!

:P :p:p:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool: :D :D:p:p

First Name
Robert
Nice looking kit you got there and I like the clean build, engine detailing is very authentic looking to me

Like it a lot

Robert

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great. I've always been put off doing a car as the finish has to be perfect - not something I worry about in 'war plane world'

D

Deleted member 3568

Not at all Colin you could do them as a rat lots of rust, dents, filler, oversprays even obviously brush painted, in my humble opinion these type of cars are much more interesting to look at and build, try one, go on come over to the dark side, you know you want to, you won't regret it.

james pithouse

First Name
James
Ken this is not star wars and you are not darth vader, you have no powers over us. like the work on the car keep it up :P :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Know nothing you don't jim, the farce strong with this one is, use the farce jim.

First Name
Marc
My next model is going to be a crashed car. Got some ideas on how to do it.

D

Deleted member 3568

james pithouse

First Name
James
no I'll shall not come to the dark side ken, and I'll shall not use the farce, I'll shall not build cars no, no,no you come to the good side not to the dark side:p:D.

D

dougie

\ said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is 1k clear and where would you get it from?
Also I've heard you "car people" talk of zero paints are they really that good.

As Si said a wacky paint job Ken I'm liking the work on the doors hope you solve the issues.

Think when I do mine they will be staying firmly closed:smiling3:

Keep up the good work mate.
2k Paints are pretty dangerous, breathing in a little just one time can give you a health condition for life.

Zero Paints are quite smelly and harsh but go on so easily and well. They are just real car paints.

1K Is used for touch ups on real cars where no oil and fuel will land, so not under the fueling cap etc...

2k is what's on most cars as a clear coat. Impervious to most chemicals and harder in finish

D

Deleted member 3568

Incidentally 2k paints contain cyanide so yep don't breathe in those vapours. One sniff could kill.

D

Dave1973

Hence why body shops now use water based paint systems.

Painting out Chevy truck, I had to beg the paint shop to sell me the green in the old oil based, and some 2k clear

D

Deleted member 3568

It was an expensive system you used to have to wear an airtight suit with and outside airsupply. I once tried painting my sisters mini in her back garden under an improvised plastic covered awning, I must have been spraying for less than 5 mins next thing I knew I was on a hospital bed in intensive care.

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Incidentally 2k paints contain cyanide so yep don't breathe in those vapours. One sniff could kill.
That is true that it has isocyanate properties, however after 50+ years of being in the body/refinishing industry and using 2k materials regularly I'm still around.

I didn't always take the necessary precautions (foolish I know) and as yet not suffered any ill effects.

Incidently the iso component is in the hardener.

So one sniff could kill is maybe a little over the top. ;) ;) ;)