scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's INSANE bro!
Neil, I must be lol.
That's an understatement!!!!
Cheers Doug.
The leaf spring you’ve made is awesome and the mount is a 100% improvement…..top work Scottie :cool::thumb2:
cheers Si to be honest anything would have been an improvement.
I think its all ,all ready been said so as usual bloody inspirational....... Dave
Thanks Dave very kind of you to say.
Wow, those springs are amazing!
Thank you Steve they are relatively easy to make.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul, you are doing amazing work like this in 1/35 scale. I am having trouble in 1/9th. :anguished:.
John.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking superb.
If I could get hold of some really thin spring steel I was thinking maybe shim steel working springs would be the next stage.
Would a spring from an old clock or clockwork toy work?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Make your own springs? Take thin, normal steel, shape it, then heat it red-hot and quench it? No idea if it will work, but as that’s basically how they make real springs, it might be worth a test run.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Make your own springs? Take thin, normal steel, shape it, then heat it red-hot and quench it? No idea if it will work, but as that’s basically how they make real springs, it might be worth a test run.
Jakko, nice idea but it would have to be a spring steel normal steel wont harden and temper properly. That's why I was thinking of shim steel.
Those springs look amazing!
Cheers Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Springs are attached to the chassis not a perfect fit but not to bad. I have also added the brake lines. Nothing of this will be seen but it was fun to do.

DSCF4151.JPG

I will have a go at replacing the body work as the kit sides are far to thick. They come out as 1.55mm which equates to 54mm which is better than some tank armour. I have ordered some Quinta studio rivets but may end up just using my punch set.

DSCF4152.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jim, maybe but might be to strong especially when they have been laminated together.
Phosphor bronze strip would be more than adequate at this scale Paul. The stuff Railway guys use for wiper contacts on locomotives would be ideal. Your scratched ones look superb, by the way :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Phosphor bronze strip would be more than adequate at this scale Paul. The stuff Railway guys use for wiper contacts on locomotives would be ideal. Your scratched ones look superb, by the way :thumb2:
Tim, thanks I never thought of that, plus they would be easier to work on.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The springs look superb Paul, Shim steel may be a bit difficult to work with, I use it at work. The brass you have used looks just right, why use something else?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Never fail to amaze all here at Race Towers Paul.

You could always do a Steve" Rivet " Jones, remember the mirror he had underneath a model ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Steve" Rivet " Jones, remember the mirror he had underneath a model ?
He’ll need one for his latest model, as he’s trying to convert a K2 ambulance into the exact one from that Ice Cold Whatever movie with it that all you Brits seem to love, but most of the conversions needed are underneath.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
He’ll need one for his latest model, as he’s trying to convert a K2 ambulance into the exact one from that Ice Cold Whatever movie with it that all you Brits seem to love, but most of the conversions needed are underneath.
He’s obviously doing the dodge based one rather than the “stock” version then……I believe there were five different ambulances used, but the dodge one was better off road so was used for the most difficult off road scenes.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul, in answer to your query. No, I am NOT building one of these scout cars in 1/9th. I am still slowly plodding on with the Manx. It is unbelievable how much is wrong or simply missing.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
He’s obviously doing the dodge based one rather than the “stock” version then……I believe there were five different ambulances used, but the dodge one was better off road so was used for the most difficult off road scenes.
I didn’t really follow the research thread but I gather it’s some kind of odd hybrid from different chassis/driveline parts. Also see here for the build.