Something big and German-Bf110

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
If it's anything like the dragon me262 kit I did it's gonna be a bit of a mare. As Barry said the instructions can be pretty lame too I went to reference a lot on mine.

I'm sure you'll make a good job of it, I'll be watching

Phil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've finally got underway and have spent a few hours achieving what doesn't look like much! I've basically started on the cockpit sub-assemblies. I still haven't figured out how much I want to assemble before I start painting, certainly more than this lot.

IMG_1445_zpsjlgqhogo.jpg

I'm thinking of a little desert vignette for this one, at least for a few photos. I recently acquired a Luftwaffe service set at a very reasonable price:

IMG_1443_zps8dpj8rtn.jpg

It comes as a bag full of resin bits:

IMG_1444_zps7p3rzqwa.jpg

I don't have any instructions (which are just someone else's opinion of how something should be put together) and I'm not sure how much I'll use. Should be fun :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have been working on this. I've decided to build the interior as in the box, despite knowing that it's not correct for my subject. I just can't be bothered to fix it. This is going to be more about making a two colour upper/lower camouflage look convincing anyway!

It's too dark to take any pictures, but I'll post some soon. My eyes have just about recovered from painting the instrument panel, no decals for it in this kit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
some of the internal bits painted.

IMG_1450_zpsiqbiussq.jpg

I've gone with an RLM 02 interior. The Bf 110 E (one of which I am building) went into production alongside the D series in 1940. At some time during D series production the interior colour changed to the darker RLM 66. My aircraft is an early example of the E series, complete with the longer rear fuselage (to carry a life raft and survival equipment) and that's why I've gone for 02. Also it looks better in the finished model :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Are you going to add seat harnesses?
Yep, in keeping with the OOB theme the the not very good photo etch ones that come with the kit. They look alright one attached. Here's the pilot's seat, all a bit clean as I've literally just done it!.

IMG_1451_zpsz82hk4ca.jpg

More and more kits do now include belts/harnesses, even if something like these not terribly good photo-etch ones. I do think that it's an important thing to add in any scale. A cockpit without a harness is incomplete to my eye. It's one thing I always do add if it's not in the box. I've used the RB Productions and HGW sets, both of which are very good, if a bit of a fiddle to make up. There may be others equally good but I've not tried them. :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Steve, and I do like your extras. I don't think you'd need instructions just take a look at the box picture and a man of your talent should be fine

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Agonisingly slow progress I'm afraid!

I'm just making this post to contradict what I have read in a couple of online build/reviews. It has been said that to build the cockpit tub as per the instructions will cause problems when the fuselage halves are joined. One reviewer even resorted to attaching the sides to the fuselage halves and then adding the cockpit bottom, which he had filed and sanded, when the halves were joined. I did a lot of dry fitting and decided the instruction method was both easier and would work. Guess what? It does!

Here's the fuselage taped together and you can see that the fit is very good indeed.

IMG_1462_zpstfn7czok.jpg

We all know that if you get something just a little bit out as you build a sub-assembly then it can have a knock on effect, causing all sorts of problems later. I've done it more than once! I believe that if you build the tub right it will fit very nicely indeed, no need for any alternative method :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It just goes to show what you can do if you think things over before you just stick them together. Great work so far Steve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
It just goes to show what you can do if you think things over before you just stick them together. Great work so far Steve
Totally agree, it helps when you get a heads up from someone else that's built it but like anything it's all in the prep work.

Looking good Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Absolutely. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the most important tool in your tool box is patience. Rush and something 'unfortunate' is just about guaranteed to happen.

Having said that my almost undetectable progress has been largely due to other commitments. I'm hoping to get a few hours in during the run up to Xmas and all the seasonal madness. Small children and partially built models don't mix, so everything will be packed away over Xmas itself :smiling3:

I've also seen a promisingly large box under the tree so I might need to get a move on with the Bf 110;)

Cheers

Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Done this one before on two occasions. Be careful of the chin and the nose fit. They fit awfully and only copious amounts of filler can fix it. Good luck

Nice Job so far

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Having said that my almost undetectable progress has been largely due to other commitments.
I feel your pain Steve. Looks good though, and a reminder that even reviewers can get it wrong.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Done this one before on two occasions. Be careful of the chin and the nose fit. They fit awfully and only copious amounts of filler can fix it. Good luck
Nice Job so far

John
Thanks for the heads up John. The nose seems to fit okay, it's the standard 'E' nose (like a C/D but with the little air intake for the cockpit ventilation/heating system). I haven't fitted the machine guns, I will just fit the barrels at the end with other dangly bits.

If by chin you mean the big bit that covers the spars for the wings and cannon bay, I haven't tried that yet, might be something to look forward to!

Taped in place:

IMG_1463_zps8pvvfcex.jpg

\ said:
I feel your pain Steve. Looks good though, and a reminder that even reviewers can get it wrong.
One of them said the cannon barrels, which run under the floor of the cockpit got in the way of other parts and had to be cut off (they won't be visible anyway) but I can't see how you could fit them in such a way that they'd do that, unless you fitted the entire weapon pack incorrectly. Maybe he had a different, test, version of the kit.

You can see the barrels here:

IMG_1464_zps9pamfqkk.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: