Something big and German-Bf110

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it's a very nice kit, from a construction and engineering point of view. I'm not a rivet counter and I haven't measured the fuselage in case it might be 0.6mm too long, or short :smiling3:

Close of play shows some remarkable progress given my normal glacial progress!

IMG_1495_zpsqltged4v.jpg

I've had to stop as I have shortly to dress up like the bloody ship's monkey to go to some do with SWMBO :eek:

I also have the HK Models Do 335 burning a hole through one of my shelves. It's providing an incentive to get on with this one as I really want to start it.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I finally found something that needed a little fix. You could fit the tail plane without this piece of packing, but it's much more solid with it.

IMG_1497_zpswqthfzwx.jpg

Without it you the leading edge of the tail plane would be 'floating'. It would still fit but the packing will help make a much more substantial joint whilst keeping the line indicated and leading edge in the correct position.

IMG_1498_zpsbmrntvjm.jpg

IMG_1499_zpsdpaoiavp.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If that's the only 'fix' you've got to do with this one Steve, I wonder if all the critics of this kit were actually building the same one! That's a beautifully clean build so far.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have to agree with Dave there Steve, some Stirling work. I'm enjoying watching this one come together.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's interesting that you will build a Do-335 next, one of these crashed in 1946 just a couple of hundred yards from my house (before it was built) onto the grounds of Cove Juniors, my daughter is a pupil there. This month will be the 70th anniversary.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=74662

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Alan Hards was killed in the crash of a Do 335 A-10, W.Nr. 240112, which we had acquired from the Americans and given the Air Ministry number AM 223. It was a two seat trainer version. It was flown back to the UK and first flown at Farnborough by Eric Brown who observed the fatal crash on 18th January. Brown reckoned that had Hards, who was aware he had a problem, though not a fire, landed immediately rather than making a circuit of the airfield he may have got down safely. The cause of the fire was a faulty sparking plug which had blown out of the engine, subsequently the elevator control system burnt through. The problem with sparking plugs and rear engine fires had plagued the Germans too.

The second Britsh Do 335 (W.Nr. 24016?) was a single seat version given the Air Ministry number AM 225. It never made it to the UK following problems on ferry flights and was scrapped, in France, at Merville.

I'm not sure which aircraft I'll do, but it will have to be a 'zerstorer' version.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
If that's the only 'fix' you've got to do with this one Steve, I wonder if all the critics of this kit were actually building the same one! .
I don't know Dave. As far as I'm aware the basic plastic is the same across the range. My version has a few extra sprues for tropical bits etc, but that's the only difference. I hate to go on about it, but maybe the problem lies in the instructions. It's one of those kits where you really must plan and fit several steps ahead or you will find stuff not fitting. The instructions don't show a good order to build in, nor the relationship of some sub-assemblies to the overall kit. It would be easy to get the engines out of line in the nacelles for example, as some have done. The kit shouldn't be a problem for a reasonably experienced kit maker, but for a relative novice, or for someone less familiar with aircraft kits, I can see where it could all go wrong!

I always try to build cleanly (with varying degrees of success!). If a kit looks okay before its painted it should look okay under paint.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I'm really trying to get a shift on with this one whilst I have some down time. Mind you, me going fast is still slow by most people's standards :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've started priming the kit, here's the underside.

IMG_1500_zpsblexefab.jpg

This hasn't revealed any issues, however my inability to fine the underside colour (RLM 78) which I ordered from Sovereign Hobbies (who now carry the Colourcoat range) might be a problem. I ordered it along with some other colours before Xmas, but the whole order has gone awol in chateau Stona ): I'm hoping that it has just been misplaced in the Xmas chaos!

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

This is looking great so farbut then would not expect anything less than that from you.

Scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hooray!

IMG_1501_zpsptc10e7p.jpg

Also found some aluminium paint, which I need, in the same package.

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Totally agree with Steve. There are no significant fit issues at all, the plastic is superb and the shortcomings are in the instructions and the decals (which were very basic on mine). For the exhausts Steve, on mine I used plastic card blanks to fit them leaving the engine out and used the Quickboost resin that are a big improvement over the kit parts. I also used plastic card to help create better/stronger joins.

A great build this Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Barry. I will probably use the kit parts as I want to do this OOB. I'm trying to go 'cold turkey' on after market parts with only moderate success so far! Hopefully all I'll need for this is a couple of swastikas :smiling3:

Believe it or not I haven't actually checked the decal sheet yet. I generally take sheets out of the kit box and put them in a freezer bag which is then filed (in random order) in a red file box. There's less chance of them being damaged or getting something spilled on them.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I generally take sheets out of the kit box and put them in a freezer bag which is then filed (in random order) in a red file box.
And of course finding them later gives you something to do while you're waiting for your paint to dry! :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking really nice steve, cant wait to see the paint go on. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the basic colours on, all two of them with a bit of post shading (which doesn't show up very well in my photos). What masking was applied literally just removed.

Top:

IMG_1502_zpszdliyyak.jpg

Bottom:

IMG_1503_zpssy7nyt6f.jpg

I need to leave this to thoroughly cure before I start spraying theatre markings and things,maybe tomorrow afternoon :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Wot! :eek: No splinter or mottle? Did you pick this scheme just to make it easier Steve? :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst waiting for the paint to dry I've started building some of the dangly bits, to be attached later. The undercarriage on this kit has caused some concern to some people. The instructions would have you build the entire, quite complicated structure into one sub-assembly which you then have to fit without breaking any bits off. In fact all you have to put together is the four high lighted parts in this picture:

IMG_1504_zpstlqzrpg7.jpg

The arrow I've drawn shows where the strut (F33) really goes, on the other side of the main undercarriage leg to where the instructions would have you attach it!

This will give you this sub-assembly with no difficulty at all:

IMG_1505_zps5vlmnkbv.jpg

All the other parts can be attached as or after this is fitted in the wheel well....simple really :smiling3:

Once again the fit and molding of the parts is very good indeed, you just need to figure out how to put them together yourself.

Cheers

Steve

S

Samer Ibrahem

:smiling3:sweet as sir looks amazing cant wait to see this done