Something big and German-Bf110

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More progress. These intermediate stage photographs are not very flattering, but this is what the beast looks like now.

IMG_1508_zpszsqx8wah.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsrpqyw1us.jpg

I always apply small decals onto a pool of Klear which sucks them down as it dries and absolutely prevents any silvering. On this model, for the first time, I've applied the same technique to the larger decals, like codes and national markings. I will definitely be making this my method of choice from now on.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice Steve. I like the German tropical (if that's correct) scheme, I'll have to find a suitable subject and have a go.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good, might have to try that klear method. As you seem to know most things Luftwaffe I may have a question for you on a up coming build, if you don't mind me PM you at some stage.

Regards

Phil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps and fire away when you're ready Phil.

I've always resisted using the Klear method for larger decals as I was nervous about removing the excess cleanly. It turns out this is not a problem at all, just have a decent piece of kitchen roll ready, and some water to hand in case you need it.

One problem with these camouflage schemes is that they can be a bit boring. Despite the shading I've now set to work with oils to try and create a bit of interest, tropical fading etc. We'll see how that goes over the next couple of days :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Progress continues. I've now attached all the dangly bits, exhausts, antennae, various weights, actuators and undercarriage etc. to the underside of the model. This side is more or less done.

IMG_1512_zpsfo6y1pxk.jpg

The auxiliary fuel tanks are intentionally the standard European underside colour (RLM 76) rather than the tropical colour (RLM 78) like the rest of the aircraft. I've no idea if this was the case with this particular subject, but it is quite possible and adds a bit of interest.

The top looks like this.

IMG_1513_zpsw3soke5p.jpg

I have the propellers, machine guns and canopy to fit along with an antenna wire. Normally I fit canopies earlier and weather them with the aircraft so that they don't look 'stuck on'. This is not possible with the Bf 110's rather complicated glass house, some of which I want to pose open. I have done everything to the masked parts that I've done to the rest of the model so hopefully it will look okay.

I haven't even started the ground crew! They might end up servicing the next kit at this rate :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
yes you are so right Steve about the canopy. It really is a complex piece and in my kit the instructions were not clear so I had a fair bit of research on that. Here is how mine looks:

ae.jpg

Yours is certainly coming along well, I do like that trop scheme and you are capturing it really well and I like the touch with the drop tanks. This is top of my list for a second build and might try that scheme,

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
yes you are so right Steve about the canopy. It really is a complex piece and in my kit the instructions were not clear so I had a fair bit of research on that.
Yours looks great! I'm planning to have the pilot position open, like yours, but will close up the back. I'm almost certain mine did not have an armoured windscreen fitted, so I'll leave that off

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Amazingly I've finished the model!

Not so amazingly the light has gone here in not so sunny Birmingham!

I'll try to get some decent photos done tomorrow and post them in a 'completed' thread.

Cheers

Steve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Amazingly I've finished the model!
Not so amazingly the light has gone here in not so sunny Birmingham!

I'll try to get some decent photos done tomorrow and post them in a 'completed' thread.

Cheers

Steve
Nice one Steve! Looking for to seeing this beast once you get a chance of some nice shots.

Phil