Sopwith camel 1/28 by me Ole

M

mobear

the prop will be slightly burnt sienna just a staining wash,sorry been no real updates but arthritis is giving me a big mouthful of pain,and getting front and backplates for the prop were harder to source than i thought,so i made some from from 1/72 spit.onwards and upwards from now on

mobear

ps then i`m going for the colours:winkingshades:

First Name
Aaron
Mobear awesome job that prop looks excellent.

T

treyzx10r

Nicely done Ole,sorry to hear your hurtin' hope the arthritis eases up on ya!

B

Bunkerbarge

Huge improvement over the original prop mobear and all credit to you for having a go at such a thing. It worked out superbly.

Roman, he used wood.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It really makes me smile when i see something like this , a great bit of scratchbuilding and an old kit given a makeover.Ive got this in the stash too ole, I was surprised too , to see all the sink marks and holes, especially as the Fokker DR1 in the same scale is very good. Im sure its going to look fantastic, cheers tony

M

mobear

thnx peeps,yup roman i carved prop out of some scrap wood the green of the plastic prop is too green to make it look like wood,apart from that i used burnt sienna thinned with turps and applied coats till i got desired look.i was checking the fuselage fit when i noticed that stitch marks on one side were missing,all ideas on how to remedy this welcome

mobear

C

CDW

\ said:
So thats disruptive camouflage al a WWI....
Yup, just in case they flew through a circus tent :smiling3: :smiling3:

Nicely whittled prop Ole, I'm that impressed i'm going to drive over and give you a pile of wood and a few plans, you can do them while i wait and have that coffee :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ignoring my little wise crack above i think those colours would look great, something slightly unusual which is always good.

Arthritis = not good ... got a touch in my thumbs and thats bad enough .... my sympathies mate.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The prop looks very realistic colin great work.

Vaughan

C

CDW

As much as i'd love to take the credit for it .... it was "Ole the lost Viking" that produced that :smiling3: :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
ops thanks for pointing that one out Colin. Ole great prop! I should have said.

Vaughan

M

mobear

heres a small mock up of fuselage together,i have used brass portholes for filler tops and caps,inside i have laid wood cocktail sticks and also used waxed black thread with nylon coreView attachment 42328the fuselage is bent like a banana but when i seal it i will use thread like the way you see it here.found a date stamp on the tail plane 1958

mobear

View attachment 45674

70 (14)mock up 1.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great build Ole, some serious work going on here. I loved the engine, but the prop is something else. A unique way to get around the problem of making plastic look like wood !

Colin M

First Name
Aaron
Ole your attention to detail is off the hook and it looks fantastic crazy.

Classey.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work throughout this build so far Ole keep it up i can't wait to see what you do next

PS That colour scheme would look great

D

dubster72

Excellent stuff there Ole! Your scratchbuilding is reaching new heights - see what I did there... planes..heights.. *sigh* Where's me coat?

Cheers

Patrick