nope not even close

key thing is why it isnt used for what it was designed for

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
correct but only half the answer
They don’t use it for its intended purpose because the British armed forces never used the kit it was designed for, having captured the trailers in the Falklands in 1982.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
They are used as “speed cameras” or to monitor military aircraft.

correct.....give that man a cigar

Are these ones captured by the British?

correct again

They don’t use it for its intended purpose because the British armed forces never used the kit it was designed for, having captured the trailers in the Falklands in 1982.

aaaah....but we did but dont now

Used instead with the Oerlikon twin AA gun?

that was their original purpose

so go back to the South Atlantic unpleasentness in '82.......the guy who got the job of sorting out what the Argies had left behind was a RAF Regt Sqn Ldr Fonffe...........stuff like helos the Special Forces got.......stuff went off to museums.....but he realised there was enough Contraves Skyguard radar units, Oerlikon GDF035 35mm AAA guns and ammo to equip a couple of RAuxAF Squadrons......he put the idea forward but it back fired cos he landed the job of setting it up lol

1339 Wing (2729 and 2890 Sqn) was formed at Wadd......which is where i come in as i was a lowly SAC Gunner........we were the only NATO cleared unit to use war booty

The Skyguard would control 2 or 3 guns.....when we disbanded (turned into a Rapier unit) the guns went into storage....still in a shed somewhere apparently, and a couple of the Skyguards became mobile 'speed cameras'........apparently the put them in places where locals have been complaining about low or fast aircraft to monitor

the Skyguard is basically a fibre glass collapsible caravan.....it opens up to put the radar dish up......one of the units had 3 or 4 little fibreglass patches on it cos 2 Para had peppered it at Goose Green............15 years ago i was working somewhere and got talking to someone as you do.....back in '82 he was a spotty 18 year old that was fresh into 2 Para in the morter platoon.....he remembered being part of the mob that machine gunned it,....i said he was a crap shot if they could only hit a caravan 4 times at 500 metres

all yours Rick

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
ok......very easy one

what is it, and why dosnt the british armed forces use it for what its designed for?

hs9ffa.jpg

My wife was puzzling over this for ages last, she was a GSE fitter and couldn’t recognise it.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Taken in 1941, which airfield is this and who are the current incumbents.

If you can figure out what aircraft are visible that would be cool, I see a Wellington and two Whitleys.

4817D1E2-C079-41E3-860E-06C008993CAC.jpeg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Afternoon.
I'll take a punt at Mildenhall,currently occupied by the USAAF.
Jon.